Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

stopped and searched under the terrorism act

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    \
  • Options
    I've seen these so-called "random" searches being done loads at tube stations but to be honest they never seem that random as all the people I've seen being searched are young men of middle eastern ethnicity :chin:

You never see them stopping middle-aged white women!
  • Options
    Perhaps that's why they occasionally stop middle-class white males - to appear to be carrying out searches 'at random'?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Oh, come off it.

These searches have nothing to do with catching terrorists and "improving security".

This is the correct answer. Its about reminding the peasants about their place in society. That and nothing more.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    They're doing nothing, don't you get it? They're doing fuck all to prevent terrorism. They're doing fuck all to prevent even low-level crime.

They're doing everything they can to keep tabs on you- what you wear, what you carry, where you go, what you eat and drink. They're doing everything they can to make sure they have all your details, up to and including DNA details. They're deliberately targeting normal people because normal people will do what they're told. Obedient sheeple are so much easier to control.

Can you seriously put your hand on your heart and say that they're doing this to "prevent terrorism". Can you really say that?

If you can I fear for this country. Policemen are the border collies of society, herding all us sheeple into the pen where we won't be any bother and we can be put through the abbatoir when the time is right.

And will we stand up against it? No. They might shoot us. The suicide bomber doesn't care if he gets shot, does he?

As i said before i get your point, doesn't mean i have to fully agree with it.
  • Options
    Ben Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
  • Options
    Although clearly the government, or Charles Clarke is incapable of protecting us from the terrorist threat. Not really surprising, 7/7 displayed that national security is hardly Labour's strong point.
    What makes you think that? Do you think Labour did something wrong security-wise that allowed 4 ordinary UK citizens to build home-made bombs and explode them on public transport?

Labour did something wrong, alright, but it had nothing to do with internal security. What Labour did wrong was to embark in an illegal war against the wishes of almost the entire planet.

Incidentally, does your claim means you admit the Bush administration is shit at their national security too, seeing what they allowed to happen in September 2001?
  • Options
    They also refused to add more funding to MI6's Middle East and terrorism department, instead allowing the vastly bloated Irish and Russian divisions to stay in place. Thats what caused the Intelligence service revolt earlier this year, where dissident MI6 officers started to leak secret documents. I mean, Russia? Leave it to the Americans. They've got loads of Russian speakers who need a job.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Murdering thousands of people for personal economic gain?

Wow the metropolitan police have really gone down the pan! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I dont know which station you're refering to, I assume Leeds.

There are signs at the station explaining these checks, and they aren't mandatory. I was approached a couple of weeks ago and asked, I explained that I would be late for work and was told that was fine.

It is for a number of reasons aside terroism. The carrying of knives, guns and other 'anti social items' for example/
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Ben Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

funnily enough I usually see that quote from people defending the right to tool yourself up with enough armanents to take out your average third world army.

So is that what you too are advocating?
  • Options
    Never

How could you use it that way?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Never

How could you use it that way?

right to bear arms
  • Options
    Ok, well I'd argue that the "right" to carry something that could severly disable/kill another human being, it one held by the delusional
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Ok, well I'd argue that the "right" to carry something that could severly disable/kill another human being, it one held by the delusional

they can also be used to defend yourself agaist a tyrannical government

if you can own knives you can own guns, even if you have to aqquire a license to own it

making handguns in this country illegal only drived them into the wrong hands
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

Yes, but you're the one with the quote - so either you do value security over liberty (at least in certain circumstances) or you're posting something you don't agree with...
  • Options
    Every revolution in history has been fought without the aid of weapons of any signficance... thus the argument by gun nuts that they must be allowed to own weapons to preserve their way of life against would-be tyranical governments doesn't quite wash with me.

Revolutions are fought and won when members of the public and ordinary people, including low-rank soldiers and members of the police, decide enough is enough and march/fight/demonstrate against the powers that be. AK47s held by trailer park weirdoes are not needed.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Every revolution in history has been fought without the aid of weapons of any signficance... thus the argument by gun nuts that they must be allowed to own weapons to preserve their way of life against would-be tyranical governments doesn't quite wash with me.

Revolutions are fought and won when members of the public and ordinary people, including low-rank soldiers and members of the police, decide enough is enough and march/fight/demonstrate against the powers that be. AK47s held by trailer park weirdoes are not needed.

Possibly true if you ignore the Russian Revolution, Mao and the Chinese, etc, etc, all of which would led by a revolutionary vanguard and not the mass of the people.

But that still doesn't answer the point - either you believe that you should have absolute liberty include the right to bear arms or you say that at times you believe that liberty should be curtailed for the good of society. I make no bones that I don't want gun ownership to be legalised and quite happily believe Ben Franklin was talking complete bollocks
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I have no serious objections to them using sniffer dogs on the trains and Tube, (aside from it being used for drugs - my opinion on which is clear).

Random searches are done almost purely to intimidate, something the Police shouldn't be doing.
  • Options
    So is my boyfriend, and they stopped him...

I was trying to imply subtley with the "..." finish to my post that actually i have as much to fear as anyone, i should have said, "I have nothing worry about...or do I?"
  • Options
    In the case of having the right bear arms, just because you own a gun doesnt mean you will use it to kill a person, just like if you have a needle to inject herion, it doesnt mean you will use it as a weapon to rob someone to pay for your addiction. Basically, you cannot have total liberty or total repression you can have a bit of one and abit of another. But you cant say you want to have total liberty, but with some restrictions because it is not total liberty.
  • Options
    If the Intelligent Force was doing it's job rightly it would know if there was a planned attack and arrest the people before they even got near the train station, random searches in the vague hope you might catch something is plain stupid.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    If the Intelligent Force was doing it's job rightly it would know if there was a planned attack and arrest the people before they even got near the train station, random searches in the vague hope you might catch something is plain stupid.
    Well they've got to look like they're doing something other than sitting on their arses all day (which would probably be just as effective).
  • Options
    I'm not sure about this. Why do you assume that absolute liberty must include the right to bear arms, so that to prevent someone form doing so is a violation of their liberty?

There are lots of things I am not permitted to do. I'm not permitted to go on a murderous rampage killing lots of people, for example; is it plausible for me to claim that this a restriction of my liberty? I would argue no, because no one has the right to do those things. I think you can argue that people should have absolute liberty, but that there is no reason to presume that includes the right to bear arms, as it certainly doesn't include the right to use those arms however you see fit.

Because its my right as an individual to own what I want without the Government interfering. OK if I wanted an AK-47 because I was planning to shoot my neighbour there's certainly a strong claim that his right to life, outweighs my right to bear arms.

But what happens if I want to hold a weapon for other reasons, perhaps I have I'm a woman living on my own in a rough neighbourhood and want protection, perhaps I want to do target shooting, perhaps its a momento of my time soldiering and it looks nice on my wall. If we have liberty I should be allowed to do these things...

However you can quite rightly counter that it might be stolen by a criminal to use in murder, or my children might find it and decide to play cops and robbers with live weaponary, or that I wake up and go postal, or that I'm drunk and decide to clean it whilst there is a round in the chamber. So the ownership of weapons threatens people's security.

So we don't allow people to own weapons because the threat to others security is greater.

You're right that there's lot we can't do because it either does or potentially may impact on others. Which does make a mockery of using Ben franklin's quote - unless you're willing to allow total freedom and drop security. But then I believe Franklin was talking bollocks and it is an overused quote which people use to support the freedoms they want and ignore when they want security.
  • Options
    We don't allow the right to bear arms because it suddenly becomes a lot harder to control the peasant masses if they've all got weapons.

The people who run the country- civil and criminal- have plenty of armaments.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    We don't allow the right to bear arms because it suddenly becomes a lot harder to control the peasant masses if they've all got weapons.

The people who run the country- civil and criminal- have plenty of armaments.

The voice of reason ( or was that Thomas Paine, NQA ;) ).
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Possibly true if you ignore the Russian Revolution, Mao and the Chinese, etc, etc, all of which would led by a revolutionary vanguard and not the mass of the people.

But that still doesn't answer the point - either you believe that you should have absolute liberty include the right to bear arms or you say that at times you believe that liberty should be curtailed for the good of society. I make no bones that I don't want gun ownership to be legalised and quite happily believe Ben Franklin was talking complete bollocks
    Well I've never quite believed absolute morality/truth really works and should be applied to real life situations. I believe in freedom of speech- I also believe in slander and anti-racist/homophobic laws. And I believe in freedom and liberty, but I also believe a line can be drawn at gun ownership.

I don't have any problem with drawing lines whatsoever, and further more I see myself as champion of freedoms and liberties as the next fella.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Well I've never quite believed absolute morality/truth really works and should be applied to real life situations. I believe in freedom of speech- I also believe in slander and anti-racist/homophobic laws. And I believe in freedom and liberty, but I also believe a line can be drawn at gun ownership.

I don't have any problem with drawing lines whatsoever, and further more I see myself as champion of freedoms and liberties as the next fella.

I don't either - which is why for the third time I mention that Franklin was talking bollocks.

The fact is that being selective about the freedoms we believe in doesn't mean that we're anti-liberty, but I don't think it hurts to acknowledge the fact.