Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Steroids

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Never touched it, but i really want to. after seeing what it can do to you, its very tempting to get bigger.

Are these hard to get hold of, and what are the risks with taking them?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    cheers
  • Options
    You should use legal supplements instead, like weight gainers that contain good amounts of protein and carbs as well as other essentials. And a proper diet and excercise routine.
  • Options
    i dont think you need steroids until your body hits the point where it cant gain any more
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    i dont think you need steroids until your body hits the point where it cant gain any more

You don't need steroids full stop. A body can gain in all the right ways with the right diet, excercise and nutritional supplements.
  • Options
    Please, whatever you do, do not use steriods.
    Steriods can and will cause moster mood swings (roid rage), headaches, dizziness, cramping, hair loss, acne like a motherfucker, cardiovascular (heart) issues, and can even lead to death.

So look. You want to gain weight and get ripped for what?
    For girls? God I bet they all want a raging, ripped, bald, and acne filled man. That's the ideal abusing husband! woo!

For sports? If you need to use steriods to get big enough to play football or something, you're already not going to make it into the pros. Your sports career, most likely, will not stretch past highschool/college.

For your personal appearance? Again, you might be big, but acne and baldness immediatly take away your rippedness.

I have zero respect for anyone who takes steriods. You see the good things it does, but it's just not worth it. It'll fuck you over in the long run.
    Try a protein shake.

EDIT:
    The health risks surrounding steroids heavily out weigh the few benefits. Steroids are damaging physically and psychologically. Using steroids is even more dangerous for teens because their bodies have not fully matured. Teens also face dying in their 30's or 40's because of steroid use.
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    You don't need steroids full stop. A body can gain in all the right ways with the right diet, excercise and nutritional supplements.

the body hits a certain point at which it won't naturally gain anymore, this is where steroids are useful
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    the body hits a certain point at which it won't naturally gain anymore, this is where steroids are useful

No you are wrong. Increasing supplements as well as a proper diet and excercise gains can be made. There is no point where your body shuts down and you hit a brick wall. Yes it may get harder at some point, but you can still make gains with the right balance of excercise and diet.

Steroids come in because results are often quicker but this is not without consequences as you well know.
  • Options
    There is so much trash in this thread I don't know where to start. I am going to reply to as much as I can be bothered.
    Nash wrote:
    No you are wrong. Increasing supplements as well as a proper diet and excercise gains can be made. There is no point where your body shuts down and you hit a brick wall. Yes it may get harder at some point, but you can still make gains with the right balance of excercise and diet.

No, YOU are wrong. Everyone's body has a natural genetic limit, steroids CAN break through that barrier.

But I hear what you're saying, most people that use don't actually need to use.

Firstly, if you are new to training, you wont even need supplements, you just need a sound diet and training. This will not come easily, it will take time, effort and research to get too.

If you are young, your hormones are already raging and gains will come a lot faster for you anyway.

If you do decide to use gear make sure you do your research yourself and make sure you know what you're letting yourself in for.

By the way, there is no link to steroids and death :)
  • Options

What a load of crap!
    What are some of the side effects of steroid use?
    A build-up of steroids upsets the body’s internal balance, and side effects occur when the body begins to compensate to eliminate the excess steroids or hormones. Steroid abuse can cause stunted growth in adolescents, con-tinuous headaches, bone pain, nausea, and changes in bowel and urinary patterns. An unexpected side effect is that steroid use can weaken the tendons, placing athletes at risk of serious injury.

Cardiovascular System: Enlargement of the heart, a precursor to heart failure; high blood pressure; atherosclerosis or hardening of the arteries, a precursor to coronary heart disease; elevated cholesterol levels; heart palpitations; heart attack; stroke; anaphylactic and septic shock.

Reproductive System: In males, excess testosterone is converted to the female hormone estrogen which causes the development of female characteristics. For instance, men experience prostate enlargement, sterility, sexual dysfunction, baldness, breast enlargement, and testicular atrophy. Excess testosterone in females has the opposite effect, causing menstrual irregularities, deepening of the voice, baldness, fetal damage, hair growth on other parts of the body, sexual dysfunction, sterility, reduction of breasts, and genital swelling.

Vital Organs: Prolonged heavy use of steroids can permanently damage the liver, causing cancer, jaundice, bleeding, and hepatitis. Steroids can impair the kidneys leading to kidney stones and kidney disease.

Can steroids cause death?
    Yes. Steroid-related fatalities occur as a result of suicide, homicide, liver disease, heart attack, and cancer.

here
  • Options
    Yes I can confirm that article is a complete load of shit. Do you know anyone who has ever DIED from steroid use for fucks sake?? Do you even know anyone that uses steroids?

Let's not forget, there are plenty of people hyping up both sides of the situation, why dont you sit down for five minutes and go watch this -

http://www.steroidlaw.com/images/steroids_0002.wmv
  • Options
    Let's not forget there are lots of supps and protectants that ideally should be run when on a course to prevent lots of the symptons/side effects noted above.

E.g. Nolvadex or Clomid used to prevent excess estrogen build up and block test converting to estrogen

Milk Thistle as liver protectant when on oral steroid cycle

Saw Palmetto to prevent hair loss

etc etc etc
  • Options
    Why don't you go and ask a doctor for their opinion?

Steroids are bad for you and can end up killing you.

End of, really!
  • Options
    Firstly, doctors don't know everything about everything - they are GP's for a reason!
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    Steroids are bad for you and can end up killing you.

Is that your whole argument? Get a grip and stop advising people on things you don't know anything about. There are risks associated with steroid use. If you are comfortable to take those risks and take the neccesary steps and measures you will be fine, and you will certainly not die :banghead:
  • Options
    Firstly, doctors don't know everything about everything - they are GP's for a reason!

Is that your whole argument? Get a grip and stop advising people on things you don't know anything about. There are risks associated with steroid use. If you are comfortable to take those risks and take the neccesary steps and measures you will be fine, and you will certainly not die :banghead:

I love it how you presume I know nothing about steroid use or anyone who has ever used them. You carry on taking steroids and supplements, if you do; but I just worry the toll it will take on your body in a few years.
  • Options
    Maybe I am wrong to make that assumption but I am basing it on what I have in this thread. For the record I do not use steroids, am I going to use them in the future? Probably! When I feel my gains are slowing and my training and diet are down to a tee.

Do I know lots of steroid users and have I researched it all inside out? Yes.

And if he is going to use or not I'd rather he knows the facts, and the proper way to do things, than end up fucking himself up.

If you aren't 21 you shouldn't be thinking about it for a start by the way!
  • Options
    There is so much trash in this thread I don't know where to start. I am going to reply to as much as I can be bothered.

No, YOU are wrong. Everyone's body has a natural genetic limit, steroids CAN break through that barrier.

But I hear what you're saying, most people that use don't actually need to use.

Firstly, if you are new to training, you wont even need supplements, you just need a sound diet and training. This will not come easily, it will take time, effort and research to get too.

If you are young, your hormones are already raging and gains will come a lot faster for you anyway.

If you do decide to use gear make sure you do your research yourself and make sure you know what you're letting yourself in for.

No, infact there is no genetic limit. If you increase your intake then gains can still be made, why is this so hard to understand?

Just because you may have used them and had nothing negative happen doesn't mean they're not dangerous, they are, very.

"The major side effects of anabolic steroid use include liver tumors, jaundice (yellowish pigmentation of skin, tissues, and body fluids), fluid retention, enlargement of the heart, (a precursor to heart failure), high blood pressure, atherosclerosis or hardening of the arteries, (a precursor to coronary heart disease) elevated cholesterol levels, heart palpitations, heart attack, and finally steroids can impair the kidneys leading to kidney stones and kidney disease."

Additional Side Effects

Additional side effects include the following:

For men - shrinking of the testicles, reduced sperm count, infertility, baldness, development of breasts.

For women - growth of facial hair, changes in or cessation of the menstrual cycle, enlargement of the clitoris, deepened voice.

For adolescents - growth halted pre maturely through premature skeletal maturation and accelerated pubertal changes.

Changes

Athletes that use steroids can be identified by:

a) Quick weight and muscle gain
    b) Purple or red-colored spots on the body
    c) Swelling of feet or lower legs
    d) Trembling
    e) Unexplained darkening of the skin
    f) Bad breath
    g) Increased aggressive behavior ("roid rage")

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/johndrug.htm
  • Options
    nah, im pretty sure you hit a limit where you're not gonna gain much else ... i think you're making the assumption that im encouraging steroid usage which isnt the case at all, im just stating what they're useful for and what they're supposed to used for
  • Options
    Oh my god Nash are you a fucking moron? OF COURSE THERE IS A GENETIC LIMIT. Why do you think some people make better BBers than others???

And do you think the likes of the pro's like Ronnie Coleman and Jay Cutler could be their size natural, I mean for fucks sake -

Ronnie_Coleman.jpg

If you do you have issues.
  • Options
    I'm saying that you can still make gains with the right intake, I'm not saying everyone is going to reach huge proportions, because they cannot. But if you re-read the original post then he was after gains, not necerssarily Schwarzenegger gains.

And if you think Steroids are safe, then you are indeed a 'moron'.
  • Options
    Get a grip and stop advising people on things you don't know anything about. There are risks associated with steroid use. If you are comfortable to take those risks and take the neccesary steps and measures you will be fine, and you will certainly not die
    What are your qualifications for this?
  • Options
    Just my two bits –

Newer information indicates that steroids are not as dangerous as once publicized so we need to be honest about the long-term effects. If Johnny is getting ripped and looks happy, and you’re not either, why not?

Clearly, athletes are not really dropping like flies (just look at the American baseball players) nor are all the users beating everyone up. However, when you get involved with the sporting world that relies on extreme measures, there are impacts that can be more damaging when you’re caught up in the vicious cycle of getting bigger and one thing often leads to another.

Taking steroids isn’t enough alone; you still have to put in considerable time at the gym. With the rapid payback one gets from steroids combined with workouts, a desire to go further often ensures. Bodybuilders and athletes often end up using stimulants to work out longer, painkillers to take the edge off the pain and then GHB either to sleep or as a perceived muscle stimulant. The everyday use of powerful drugs can be far more damaging than the steroids and one of the reasons for sudden death from overdose. Addiction to painkillers and GHB is not uncommon because of the regular use; good luck getting off of GHB. Also, long term informal studies on steroids may be cut-short if the user becomes a casualty to these other problems so a true picture might not be available.

Depression is another factor of steroids when the user decides to stop. The perception of losing all that the hard work at the gym is powerful and makes it difficult to quit, thus, the cycle (so say the builders).

And yes, people have a natural limit. The Adonis Complex is a great book on male body image issues and those limitations. It's a good read for anyone interested in bodybuilding so you can ask yourself why.

Unless millions in income from professional sports is a reality, a high protein diet does seem to be a more practical option. Besides, consider if people knew that you used steroids to get big rather than hard work alone and whether it would it be good for the ego. Not everyone would be astute enough to see it, but some certainly would.
  • Options
    Anyone see that video of the guy who's arm exploded because of steroid use? His arms were grotesque, funny at the same time.
  • Options
    Honestly, what a shortcut. Unless you are pushing your growth limits, you're just cutting a corner. Getting big doesn't happen over night. It's more a lifestyle than anything else. Everything has to change: what you do, what you eat... Using steroids to get ripped quick is just sad. You're like the overweight person who wants to loose a few hundred in a day so starts popping diet pills. Sure, the pills have terrible effects on your body, but you're going to use them anyways because you are too lazy to do it the right way.

So look. Even though the long term effects of steroid use are really pretty much unknown, they clearly won't be beneficial. If you want your balls to shrivle up and die, go for it. If you want your heart to possibly get fucked up, go for it. if you want to show everyone how much of a pussy you are because you arn't disiplined enough to gain the weight yourself, go for it.
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    I'm not saying everyone is going to reach huge proportions, because they cannot.

That would be down to genetics??
    Nash wrote:

No, infact there is no genetic limit. If you increase your intake then gains can still be made, why is this so hard to understand?

Uh???????
    And if you think Steroids are safe, then you are indeed a 'moron'.

Where the fuck did I say steroids are safe??
    There are risks associated with steroid use. If you are comfortable to take those risks and take the neccesary steps and measures you will be fine

I am trying to say if you just go and see your local gym rat and buy a load of gear that you dont know what is it, you dont run any or proper Post Cycle Therapy (PCT) and run proper protectants, you are almost certainly doing damage to your body.. but it CAN be done differently.

I am saying the risks are over-hyped in the media.

What I love about this forum is that when there is a big hype in papers or news about esctasy killing everyone who takes it or anyone that smokes weed turning into a schizo, it's all jumped on and torn to shreds because you all take that shit and you know people who do.. when it's steroids then it's completely different ball game.

Trust me, the media do the same thing with them all OK.

Are there risks associated with all the drugs mentioned in this forum? Yes!

So as I said if you are comfortable with those risks and you are going to take steroids, make sure you research what you are taking and take the right precautions, that is what I am saying.

And let's not forget a lot of these steroids have been around for a LONG time and are very heavily researched. Also can we please remember there are hundreds of different types of compounds, it's not just like there is one steroid, and they all carry different risks, and different side effects so we cannot blanket them with all with the same information.

Kentish - As far as qualifications I go I don't have any, but I do know what I'm talking about as far as running them safely goes, and I have seen LOTS of blood test results of before/during/after cycle users to see what works, and what doesn't.

Another thing before I forget to the OP, I would highly recommend getting base value blood tests done before you do any gear, and then after PCT so you can check recovery.
  • Options
    Apart from all the hyped up BS from media etc. steroids are not dangerouse if used properly & not abused. In fact there are numerous studies that prove testosterone usage may keep one alive longer.

Unfortunately alot of people in today's society haven't got the patients or interest in sculpting there bodies. Its people like them who do not do any research & just take them with no diet or excersise plan in order, that steroids are banned.

If anyone does decied to do steroids, always research them before using them, & a cycle must contain some sort of testosterone to be safe & effective.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Apart from all the hyped up BS from media etc. steroids are not dangerouse if used properly & not abused. In fact there are numerous studies that prove testosterone usage may keep one alive longer.

Unfortunately alot of people in today's society haven't got the patients or interest in sculpting there bodies. Its people like them who do not do any research & just take them with no diet or excersise plan in order, that steroids are banned.
    It's just another case of people wanting instant results without being willing to put in the necessary work. I have no problem with pro-bodybuilders using the stuff when they're at their absolute peak, in order to get that little bit extra. I do have a problem when you get some kid going on about using steroids when they've been doing weights for a couple of months or something. Actually, the more recent version of that is people asking about creatine before they've even started doing weights.
  • Options
    It's just another case of people wanting instant results without being willing to put in the necessary work. I have no problem with pro-bodybuilders using the stuff when they're at their absolute peak, in order to get that little bit extra. I do have a problem when you get some kid going on about using steroids when they've been doing weights for a couple of months or something. Actually, the more recent version of that is people asking about creatine before they've even started doing weights.
    ^^^^^

Exactly. How many people do we know that has never set foot in a weights room wanting to take steroids? Its ridiculous.
  • Options
    Aside from what health risks there are (and there are risks) my biggest concern would be sourcing.

Do you know what you are getting?

Do you really know it was made safely?

Do you really know it has been stored safely?

I'm sure I dont have to point out that these are effectively black market drugs, and we all know the care and attention black market suppliers give their customers.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Aside from what health risks there are (and there are risks) my biggest concern would be sourcing.

Do you know what you are getting?

Do you really know it was made safely?

Do you really know it has been stored safely?

I'm sure I dont have to point out that these are effectively black market drugs, and we all know the care and attention black market suppliers give their customers.
    Thats why you should buy of a reputable source. Look in some gyms, get to know them & judge for yourself.