Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mexico to decriminalise pot, cocaine and heroin

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Possessing marijuana, cocaine and even heroin will no longer be a crime in Mexico if they are in small amounts for personal use under new reforms passed by Congress that quickly drew U.S. criticism.

The measure given final passage 53-26 by senators in a late night session on Thursday is aimed at letting police focus on their battle against major drug dealers, and President Vicente Fox is expected to sign it into law.

[...]The legal changes will also decriminalize the possession of limited quantities of other drugs, including LSD, hallucinogenic mushrooms, amphetamines and peyote -- a psychotropic cactus found in Mexico's northern deserts.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/29042006/80-132/mexico-decriminalize-pot-cocaine-heroin.html

Olé! to Mexico. How refreshing indeed. :)

US is not too pleased though :D
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote:
    US is not too pleased though :D
    Boo hoo. It's none of there fucking business.
  • Options
    They make every nation's internal politics their business, sadly.
  • Options
    Boo hoo. It's none of there fucking business.

A philosophy to live by : Mind Your Own Fucking Business :thumb:
  • Options
    China, Uzbekistan can be criticsed for thier human rights abuses and Australia's PM can be criticised for being evaaal and right wing, Bush x43157430975, the umpteen trillion threads here condeming foreign country's policy but the US can't criticise a Mexican policy, that would be wrong :no:
  • Options
    amazing!
    expect a big trade barrier between usa and mexico to be announced though.
  • Options
    good for mexico.

if and when the price of coke falls, i think so will petty crime.

people love to get high.

the US in my opinion is upset because other more addictive, arguably more fun drugs is big competition to BIG TOBACCO and ALCOHOL ad therfore affect profits. plus, like Chris Rock said, the best drugs arent made in America.

in addition to abling to free and divert resources to the more serious of drug traffcikers, i think the economy will benefit from the possible increase in tourism.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    China, Uzbekistan can be criticsed for thier human rights abuses and Australia's PM can be criticised for being evaaal and right wing, Bush x43157430975, the umpteen trillion threads here condeming foreign country's policy but the US can't criticise a Mexican policy, that would be wrong :no:

1) Can you not see a significant difference in private citizens (us) sharing and discussing their opinions on the policies of other states, and official state spokesmen of a global superpower criticising the internal policy of another state?
    2) Can you not see the difference between criticising the foreign policy of another state (i.e. how it interacts with other states, and therefore everybody's concern) and their internal drugs policy, which is that state's concern only?
    3) Can you not see the difference between private citizens criticising another state for internal human rights abuses, and a state criticising another state for increasing their citizens' human rights?

:D
  • Options
    does that mean they'll have state controlled drug shops?
  • Options
    I don't think so; the sale or purchase of drugs is still a crime as far as I can tell. But if they catch you with small amounts on you they will not take action.

It's a step in the right direction but until a government sums up the balls to fully legalise drugs and to sell them itself through licensed outlets, associated crime will continue to exist.
  • Options
    yeh... I see what they've done now, they've not really legalised them, you'll just not get in trouble for possession, saves police time.

but like you said, the crime wont stop till it's legal to buy and sell them too
  • Options
    carlito wrote:
    1) Can you not see a significant difference in private citizens (us) sharing and discussing their opinions on the policies of other states, and official state spokesmen of a global superpower criticising the internal policy of another state?
    2) Can you not see the difference between criticising the foreign policy of another state (i.e. how it interacts with other states, and therefore everybody's concern) and their internal drugs policy, which is that state's concern only?
    3) Can you not see the difference between private citizens criticising another state for internal human rights abuses, and a state criticising another state for increasing their citizens' human rights?

so governments aren't allowed to condem other governments? tit.
  • Options
    Perhaps people are concerned because unlike any other regime on earth the US government has a tendency of bullying, threatening and often bombing to fuck those who find themselves subjects of its criticism.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    so governments aren't allowed to condem other governments? tit.

Of course they're "allowed" to - but if they are condemning a sovereign state which has made a democratic decision to extend their citizens' human rights, then do you wonder why their condemnation is met with such derision?!

State condemnation of another state should be used sparingly and with serious consideration. Not that words are particularly harmful - what everybody here (I hope) recognises is that these words are simply an indication of the official, semi-official, and covert physical and political attacks on other sovereign states (particularly in Central and Latin America) that the USA has been mounting for decades.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Perhaps people are concerned because unlike any other regime on earth the US government has a tendency of bullying, threatening and often bombing to fuck those who find themselves subjects of its criticism.
    Sure. But have they threatened action? Told Mexico they should do this or that? They simply said:

"Drugs are dangerous. We don't think it is the appropriate way to go."

omg keep your nose out of other country's business
  • Options
    Thing is the US government didn't think drugs were so dangerous when it used them to finance its dirty wars in Latin America, did it?
  • Options
    they found god and saw the errors of thier ways.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    they found god and saw the errors of thier ways.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    Sure. But have they threatened action? Told Mexico they should do this or that? They simply said:

"Drugs are dangerous. We don't think it is the appropriate way to go."

omg keep your nose out of other country's business

From the USA, I consider that a threat. Has the USA explicitly threatened Iran?

Actions speak louder than words. If you have consistently shown the willingness to act violently upon your 'convictions' (as Aladdin points out these are of course not unbreakable values) then it is unnecessary to make specific threats. Especially if you have a heavily funded secret state through which to anonymously conduct your dirty work.

The USA (ostensibly) dissapproves of drug use, that much is evident from their own internal drugs policy. That is an openly held position, which is obvious to all, and their business alone. The Mexican government (and populace) knows how the US government feels about drugs, it is not necessary for them to reiterate it to them - apart from anything else this is incredibly patronising. How another state chooses to handle the issue is none of their concern.

Perhaps, since you consider it appropriate, the Mexican government should now condemn the US government for its illiberal drug laws? I wonder how that would go down :D :nervous:
  • Options
    It may make it legal in Mexico, but it just makes it easier for the mexican drug traffickers to smuggle it into the USA where it is still illegal, so although it takes away money from the criminals inside Mexico...it gives them the chance to make more money in the USA. Not surprised the Yanks are cacking about it.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    It may make it legal in Mexico, but it just makes it easier for the mexican drug traffickers to smuggle it into the USA where it is still illegal, so although it takes away money from the criminals inside Mexico...it gives them the chance to make more money in the USA. Not surprised the Yanks are cacking about it.

Hmmmm....perhaps, although it could result in the reverse; Mexican dealers would have a greater potential market to exploit within their own country, as more Mexicans are unafraid to use drugs.

If it does make it easier for them to smuggle drugs into the US, then the US government should concern themselves with securing their own borders, and squander their own resources on enforcing prohibition: rather than pressuring other (significantly more impoverished) countries to do it for them.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    How so? It's only very small amounts that are going to be allowed. Anyone caught with, say, 5+ grams of charlie or a couple ounces+ of pot is going to be considered a dealer, and dealt with exactly as before.

Dealers don't benefit from this at all.
  • Options
    This could be used as further justification for a barrier on the US-Mexico border...

It’s naturally Mexico’s decision, although unsurprisingly some on here instantly turn Mexico’s new drugs policy around into some pathetic anti-American wankfest. US opposition is entirely understandable – if Scotland (were it independent) legalised hard drugs I don’t think England would be thrilled about it.

Mexico are probably going down the right road though, prohibition has evidently failed. While drug use should never be condoned decriminalisation is perhaps a more realistic option.
  • Options
    the USA now has to contend with mexico to the south being sensible about drugs and canada to the north who are now producing huge ammounts of cannabis.
    we've got 'em surrounded!
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    How so? It's only very small amounts that are going to be allowed. Anyone caught with, say, 5+ grams of charlie or a couple ounces+ of pot is going to be considered a dealer, and dealt with exactly as before.

Dealers don't benefit from this at all.

If that is so, whats the point in legalising it? I mean...its not much they are allowed!
  • Options
    This could be used as further justification for a barrier on the US-Mexico border...

It’s naturally Mexico’s decision, although unsurprisingly some on here instantly turn Mexico’s new drugs policy around into some pathetic anti-American wankfest. US opposition is entirely understandable – if Scotland (were it independent) legalised hard drugs I don’t think England would be thrilled about it.

Bullshit - anti-US government wankfest perhaps, not anti-American.

And I don't think anyone who supports this Mexican policy would be hypocritical enough to oppose a (hypothetically) independent Scotland's drugs policy either; but I don't know about that, I only speak for myself.
  • Options
    Considering the biggest mover of drugs into the US economy has long been the CIA, arguments about "Mexican drug dealers" is little more than regurgitated US government rhetoric.

Of course, considering that dis is incapable of any independent thought beyond parroted headlines, "anti-American wankfest" is right on par for him. All the more humorous/pathetic (take your pick) is his regular application of that irrational label despite the fact that he himself is not even American.

Gotta love neocon apologists, though, simply for their ill-informed views.
    If that is so, whats the point in legalising it? I mean...its not much they are allowed!

Actually you have, perhaps inadvertently, made an interesting point. By that I mean that there is a case being advanced in the public debate about the difference between "decriminalisation" and "legalisation". I personally would suggest that the chosen option should be decriminalisation thus removing personal recreational practices of private citizens entirely from the legislative domain. To "legalise" would be add additional regulatory oversight to already existing laws without, in fact, eliminating those prior laws from the penal code. It also opens the door for legislators to introduce additional tax burdens on the public.

"Decriminalisation" on the other hand would simply call for the scrapping of all existing laws with regard to that particular substance, thus freeing considerable budgetary and manpower resources for reallocation to truly serious criminal acts.

Despite the oft conflation of the two terms in common parlance, there is a distinct difference between them.

[edited to add: In keeping with the previous point, it should be pointed out that Mexico is actually legalising not decriminalising these substances.]
  • Options
    ...despite the fact that he himself is not even American...

:D:lol::D

That just made my evening!

N.b. In hindsight should have realised from the use of 'wank' :banghead:
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    I guess the point is recognising that adults in their full mental capabilities have the right to do anything they please with their bodies without anyone punishing them for it.

One day in the future the entire world will be like this- and they will look back at the 20th and 21st centuries and be amazed at the fact that a person could be penalsied for taking something that might be harmful to them.

The very notion of it is so ludicrous it beggars belief.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The very notion of it is so ludicrous it beggars belief.
    Why? Every action you take and every choice you make can have an impact on somebody else's life - binge drinking/fighting, speeding/crashing, drug use/healthcare expenditure....et cetera ad finitum
  • Options
    Under that reasoning, getting upset should be a criminal offence punishable by jail. At the end of the day nobody knows what you could do or cause if you step onto the street after an argument with the wife or having received some bad news.

Not to mention drinking alcohol, the single biggest and most dangerous drug known to man.

It's nobody's business whether I choose to consume cannabis, cocaine, heroine or horse's shit. Absolutely nobody's.