Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mexico to decriminalise pot, cocaine and heroin

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So it is actually true what I heard that the CIA imported cocaine and distribute it as well as crack to make cash to start up?
    to make cash to fund illegal wars and ki;;ings and smugglings.
    when you think about it ...the illegal drugs trade is the biggest tax free hard cash in the hand business ever built.
    untraceable and untouchable billions.
    every government in the world is implicated.
    these huge bazillions in cash and gold and diamonds and propperty ...touches nearly everyone on the planet in some way or another.
    being illegal makes a lot of wealthy people very happy indeed.
  • Options
    So long as you bank the money somewhere offshore or in a nations banks that are outside taxes, then you cant even be done for undeclared income. Drugs is the business, same way booze was for gangsters in prohibition days.
  • Options
    Stop press: the bill has been stopped 1 day before being signed and it's being sent back to congress for 'revision':

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-5798771,00.html?gusrc=ticker-103704

I wonder why that happened... :rolleyes:

Do you see now, minimi38, why people have a problem with the US government criticising other sovereign nations' home policies?
  • Options
    What bollocks, if it was a policy you disagreed with then you would be urging the US to criticise them wouldn't you?
  • Options
    My problem is not so much with nations criticising other nations but with going further than that and bullying, threatening, blackmailing, and in some cases using violence against them.

Sadly the US government has a long and distinguished record of doing just that for the last 50 years. Anyone who doesn't dance to the White House's tune will tried to be forced to do so if it is at all possible.

Given the Bush administration's record of bullying and threatening those go off message on them, forgive me for believing President Fox's last minute rethink on the law might have something to do with the chimp and his rotweillers having 'a quiet word' with him :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    Stop press: the bill has been stopped 1 day before being signed and it's being sent back to congress for 'revision':

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-5798771,00.html?gusrc=ticker-103704

Do you see now, minimi38, why people have a problem with the US government criticising other sovereign nations' home policies?

Damn shamr tbh.

Would have been interestingto see how it worked!
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

The US hasn't been coercing Mexico into doing anything, if the mexican president decides to listen to US protests i don't see any problem with it, in that sense. Its a shame they are revising the legislation but all countries look after their interests and criticising other country's policies is a part of that.

Are the US right to criticise the Russians about being increasingly undemocratic lately?
  • Options
    damn! i'll have to flog my tickets on ebay now.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    damn! i'll have to flog my tickets on ebay now.
    :lol:

I'll take them. It's still plenty easy to get over there. :D
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    The US hasn't been coercing Mexico into doing anything, if the mexican president decides to listen to US protests i don't see any problem with it, in that sense.
    But the problem is that I fear (and I'm probably not the only one) that the US has done a lot more to just put its views across to his neighbour.

Of course there is no evidence of this- and it would never be if it has happened. But given the US' track record to date I have every reason in the world to believe they have bullied Mexico into compliance.

One thing is to express your concerns or protest about other nations' policies and another one altogether to act underhandely to force them to do what you want.
  • Options
    it does seem really dodgy since a couple of days ago the president was talking how this would help stop the over strecthing of policing and allow more time for chasing the big suppliers
  • Options
    it does seem really dodgy since a couple of days ago the president was talking how this would help stop the over strecthing of policing and allow more time for chasing the big suppliers

They dont chase the big suppliers at all, they are paid off.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    The US hasn't been coercing Mexico into doing anything, if the mexican president decides to listen to US protests i don't see any problem with it, in that sense. Its a shame they are revising the legislation but all countries look after their interests and criticising other country's policies is a part of that.

Are the US right to criticise the Russians about being increasingly undemocratic lately?

I don't see how legalising personal amounts harms any legitimate US interests, and certainly the US has no right to be criticising anyone for becoming increasingly undemocratic of late considering the direction the US is headed.