Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

AUT and Natfhe Strikes in Higher Education

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    A good professor in the US can easily earn $100,000 thats even at £1-$2 double what they get here, and living expenses will be lower.

Professors come here because at the moment we still have decent universities, we have the reputation - though we wont for all that much longer.

Though having said that in some small fields researchers come here because they cant do the research elsewhere, stem cell stuff for example.

In the US lecturers work much longer hours. Some lecturers in the UK do nothing more than a few hours of lectures a week, in the US they generally do a lot more tutorials/seminars and small group teaching. In the US too wages are also higher because the good unis are private non-profit organisations – although some of the public unis are very good. Students also pay more in the US...
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Wow, i wish everyone could say £30,000 was nothing!

It isn't for the standard of work they are lecturing on.

When GPs can earn £250,000 a year, £30,000 for teaching the new GPs medicine is nothing at all. And £30,000 is not the average salary by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Wow, they get to earn £12k and do overtime for £11 an hour? And the first £4,500 is tax-free as it is for everyone else in the country!
    No, the £12k isn't "earnt" as such and hence it doesn't count for taxation purposes. Therefore the first £16,500 of their income is tax-free.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It isn't for the standard of work they are lecturing on.

When GPs can earn £250,000 a year, £30,000 for teaching the new GPs medicine is nothing at all. And £30,000 is not the average salary by any stretch of the imagination.
    And a minority of lecturers are raking it in from book sales. Most GPs don't earn anywhere near 250k and clinical academics who "teach new GPs medicine" are paid on the NHS consultants scale.
  • Options
    *Most* GPs will earn 100k maximum, assuming they hit certain targets. Don't believe the hype.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

As has been said your standard GP doesn’t get 250k. And the average GP works a lot longer hours than the average lecturer. But if lecturers want better money they should support privatisation. Universities should be private non-profit institutions. (But since that would mean an end to some of the cushy jobs left in academia you won't hear the unions supporting privatisation).
  • Options
    In the US lecturers work much longer hours. Some lecturers in the UK do nothing more than a few hours of lectures a week, in the US they generally do a lot more tutorials/seminars and small group teaching. In the US too wages are also higher because the good unis are private non-profit organisations – although some of the public unis are very good. Students also pay more in the US...
    Lecturers get paid for more than just their contact time with students.
  • Options
    the average GP works a lot longer hours than the average lecturer.

Yeah, of course they do. That'd be why NDUC is staffed entirely by Germans then...

Universities are private organisations already, and they're not-for-profit too. Great point that one.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Universities are private organisations already, and they're not-for-profit too. Great point that one.

British universities have institutional autonomy, although a few Oxbridge dons would disagree on that one. British universities rely overwhelmingly on the government for their funding. The only exception being Buckingham which is entirely privately financed. All the others are dependent on government cash. This contrasted to private non-profit US universities like Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Columbia for instance that are entirely independent of the state with regard to admissions and funding.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Also, medical professionals in the US, i think, end up hundreds of thousands of pounds in debt by the end of their education, but is there not a system their to say they do not have to pay it back and can in essence become debt free provided they allign themselves with particular insurance companies or something?

Not with virtually all of them, $150,000 or $200k in student loans is far from rare for doctors and they will have to pay it all back, which is why they have to pay doctors in the US large wages. That and they have to buy their own insurance against being sued which can cost $100k a year.
  • Options
    British universities rely overwhelmingly on the government for their funding.

They like to pretend that they do, but a lot of university cash is actually raised through private sponsorship deals and foreign and postgraduate students. And halls fees.

You can't move in Durham for corporate branding, and its the same at most universities.

Perhaps if the top unis were more reliant on public cash they wouldn't be so blatantly anti-state sector schooling.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    They like to pretend that they do, but a lot of university cash is actually raised through private sponsorship deals and foreign and postgraduate students. And halls fees.

A lot is but there's no university in the country (except Buckingham) that could survive if the government cut off funding tomorrow. Take Manchester for example, of their research funding:

Government
    Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) grants - £58m
    UK Research Council - £47.3m
    Government departments - £20m
    EU - £8.2m

Non-government
    UK Charities - £27.1m
    UK Industry and Commerce - £7.5m
    Overseas - £4.4m
    Other sources - £1.2m
    Kermit wrote:
    Perhaps if the top unis were more reliant on public cash they wouldn't be so blatantly anti-state sector schooling.

I go to a state school. I've applied to university this year (although am taking a gap year and applying again next yr). But I haven't noticed any 'anti-state sector schooling' crap, tbh that just sounds like reverse snobbery crap.

A lot of the claims against the top unis and esp Oxbridge are unfair. Oxbridge is constantly criticised for its high intake of private school pupils. (And nobody points out that their intake of state school pupils used to be significantly higher when there were more grammar schools around). The thing is more private school kids apply to Oxbridge, unis like Bristol and KCL for competitive subjects can have 10-20 applicants per place – at Oxford even for stuff like Law and PPE it’s no more than 3-5 applicants per place depending on the college. There are loads of programmes and initiatives to encourage state school pupils to apply but for different reasons people don't apply.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I don't think it affects the Provost of UCL, Malcolm Grant, either way if I get my feedback or not though. Why would he give a fuck?
    It does seem the UCL lecturers at the mo are particularly badly hit with the 15% staff cut at the moment.

I support the strike, and I don't blame the lecturers. UCL have promised that they will keep students informed about which lecturers are striking and how it will affect them. If your department don't do that, you should get in touch or let the Education and Welfare officer in the Union know.

Past that, I don't know what can be done. The strike seems a necessary evil. The NUS should not have come out in full support, though, because they should be putting their student members above their relationship with the NUT and NAFTHE.
    Kermit wrote:
    Exactly. But do we want them to put up our halls fees to pay the lecturers? I was lucky last year, not many people pay £60/week in WC1, but some halls were £110 in "my day" and I know halls fees are already increasing above inflation next year to cover the cost of closing two halls for maintenance, so if it were raised even higher to pay off the lecturers it would drive students away. As if it weren't ridiculously expensive to study in London already. :yeees:

In UCL's case, specifically, you have to wonder if it's not the millions of pounds spent rebranding to look like this and fussing about making sure all the bins, mats, overpriced t-shirts and laptop cases are changed, maybe if they paid more attention to their teaching staff it wouldn't be such a problem.
  • Options
    Despite top-up fees coming in next year, lecturers will not see a penny of this... So where is it all going to? Instead of being paid extra because more and more students are going to university and the work load is greater they are getting paid the same.

I support the action, but I don't think it is fair not to mark the third year papers as a lot of people are trying to get jobs straight from university.
  • Options
    The lecturers were offered a 6% pay rise and almost certainly would have had one even without industrial action taking place.

The work load is not greater for most lecturers, the universities hire more staff to deal with more students as is common sense.

It doesn't make any sense to support the strike but say they should mark the work. A strike means no work, however important it might be.........