Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

AUT and Natfhe Strikes in Higher Education

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Of course they deserve decent pay. Instead of targeting students, the very group they're meant to help, why don't they stick two fingers up to their vice-chancellors? Why don't they protest to high heaven about this discredited, failed, sleazy, beyond useless government? Why don't they criticise the relentless drive to get 50% of 18-30 year olds into education, thus massively increasing their workloads and damaging university education? Nah, that's too hard. So, they target students instead. Yep, easy tactics every time...

Striking, in this case, is a last resort. Do you really think that they haven't tried talking and discussing and negotiating with all the powers that be? Of course they have. They have been for a very long time.

Protests do nothing. Action does. Create as much disruption as possible so that action is taken. Just like any strike.

And this isn't easy on most of the lecturers. From speaking to one of mine yesterday, who incidentally was trying to assess my presentation and couldn't tell me if I passed or not, this goes completely against the grain but something needs to happen.

Good luck to 'em.

You're taking a fairly naive approach IMHO.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ;o was affected by it last tuesday but i ahve bloddy tuesdays off!

What is the point in strikes if I dont benifit ;<
  • Options
    Gavman wrote:
    ;o was affected by it last tuesday but i ahve bloddy tuesdays off!

What is the point in strikes if I dont benifit ;<

:lol:

I wasn't affected last Tuesday as I was on placement. But you could be affected in the long term if they withold your marks :p
  • Options
    I'm on the side of the lecturers. Of course, most of them aren't just lecturers, they research on top of all the student oriented stuff (well they do if it's a research lead institution). It is hard work.

I'm sure they went on strike when I was at university, and it didn't affect much for anyone (despite their fears).

This is the real problem, the AUT whinge on about how they have always supported the NUS and the NUS are currently supporting this strike. However the marking strike is screwing over current students.

I think we can all agree that they deserve better pay but at the same time they complain about being over worked (Average class sizes from 9 to 21 in 30 years); but also want 23% over three years - they can't complain about being over worked if they want that level of increase as the money wouldn't be left to increase the workforce to lower workloads.

The issue is being debated at Student Union Councils and the vast majority are reaching the decision to lobby the NUS to oppose the strike.

At Leicester we discussed it last week and and the aims of the proposal were to support the claim for increased pay, to support one-day strikes but condemn the marking strike. A representative from AUT attended the discussion of an ammendment to change itto supporting the marking strike. When the ammendment was defeated they disappeared quietly - not caring what happened to the rest of the proposal.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    totally disagree.
    Read the following:

Why are AUT & NATFHE taking action?
    Our salaries have stagnated. Tony Blair himself has said that they have shown 'practically no increase in real terms over two decades.' AUT and NATFHE have asked the university employers to improve salaries so that they compare to those of other public sector professionals. Members in both unions agreed to take action by overwhelming majorities.

Do the employers have the money?
    Between now and 2008, UK universities will receive an extra £3.4billion in funding, amounting to a 25% increase. The University of Leeds expects its turnover to increase from £350 million to £500 million over the next 3 years. Universities promised the government that at least a third of the extra funding would go into improving salaries. This promise hasn’t been kept. And remember this is not just about paying current staff: our ability to recruit the best and brightest new staff is hampered by this refusal to improve salaries.
    :banghead: So why won't the lecturers boycott their research responsibilities which bring a huge amount of revenue into the universities?Surely this would be a more effective way of pressuring "The Employers"?
  • Options
    Mich wrote:
    However the marking strike is screwing over current students.

Oh diddums.

Students should be supporting this strike, as the teaching salary directly affects them. Keep paying crap, and every decent brain will leave the system for good. Many already have, with foreign universities filled with British talent.

Though I can't say I'm surprised. Students in this country are almost totally self-obsessed selfish little fuckwits, who give a toss about nobody but themselves. That they cannot even stop thinking about their precious marks for one fucking minute illustrates this perfectly, and every student who votes to oppose the lecturers strike should be totally and utterly ashamed of themselves.

My lecturers were on strike during my final year, and I fully supported them then. I still do fully support them. Every other student should do the same.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Oh diddums.

Students should be supporting this strike, as the teaching salary directly affects them. Keep paying crap, and every decent brain will leave the system for good. Many already have, with foreign universities filled with British talent.

You are totally right. University staff get paid a pittance. I can only take teaching as an example as it is my field but they are struggling to get new lecturers in this area as they don't get paid as much as experienced teachers. I find it quite shocking that those who are teaching teachers to teach are being paid less than what I will get in about 7 years time. Ridiculous.
    Though I can't say I'm surprised. Students in this country are almost totally self-obsessed selfish little fuckwits, who give a toss about nobody but themselves. That they cannot even stop thinking about their precious marks for one fucking minute illustrates this perfectly, and every student who votes to oppose the lecturers strike should be totally and utterly ashamed of themselves.

Sadly, again, I agree. As is shown in this thread *sigh*
    My lecturers were on strike during my final year, and I fully supported them then. I still do fully support them. Every other student should do the same.

I fully support my lecturers. If it carries on it will affect me in quite a big way as I am about to qualify and currently jobhunting. However, all prospective employees of mine will know the situation and if I don't have my "I am a teacher" certificate then they should be fairly sympathetic. If they aren't, then they will lose out on a perfectly good teacher.

The thing about this strike though, is that everyone is in the same boat.

I do hope the lecturers get what they deserve.
  • Options
    the lecturers should get what they are asking for

students are helped by the lecturers to learn, so should at least be a little sympathetic to the cause that will earn the lecturers more money
  • Options
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Of course they deserve decent pay. Instead of targeting students, the very group they're meant to help, why don't they stick two fingers up to their vice-chancellors? Why don't they protest to high heaven about this discredited, failed, sleazy, beyond useless government? Why don't they criticise the relentless drive to get 50% of 18-30 year olds into education, thus massively increasing their workloads and damaging university education? Nah, that's too hard. So, they target students instead. Yep, easy tactics every time...

I'm sorry mate but really you should shut your mouth, you know sod all about the situation.

Yes VC's get paid quite a lot, same as high end civil servants, thats because they've got a massive budget, huge number of staff and a massive level of responsibity.

Lecturers on the other hand get paid piss all, half or even a 1/4 of what they could get in other countries. This is the only (hopefully) effective way to cause a change because lots of voters will realise that their off spring wont get final marks and the government will be forced into a change.
  • Options
    id be pissed off if it was my marks that were being effected, but on the other hand, this is the way that things get changed. major disruptions will support them and make the government sit up and take notice. i agree with what there doing,
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

Lecturers on the other hand get paid piss all, half or even a 1/4 of what they could get in other countries. This is the only (hopefully) effective way to cause a change because lots of voters will realise that their off spring wont get final marks and the government will be forced into a change.

25-35k a year isn't piss all.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:

So after at least 7 years in unpaid training you think £25k is a reasonable wage to get?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    So after at least 7 years in unpaid training you think £25k is a reasonable wage to get?
    Which bit are you refering to as 'unpaid'?
  • Options
    The 7 years you spend getting your degree, masters and probably PhD before any university will consider giving you a job.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    The 7 years you spend getting your degree, masters and probably PhD before any university will consider giving you a job.
    Not sure about all subjects but certainly for Sciences you get paid pretty well for at least the PhD and sometimes for the MSc too these days.

Take the PhD students doing chemistry at my uni for example. They get £12,000 tax free sponsership plus the opportunity to work part-time as lab demonstrators and markers for £11 an hour, the first £4,500 of earnings being tax free (as the sponsership part doesn't count as earnings).
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:

For those who lecture in Education, most of them took a pay cut in order to teach us how to become teachers. They are earning less than their peers. It's a bit backward.

It is for reasons like this there are fewer and fewer people leaving their professions and then becoming lecturers. Financially, it probably isn't worth it for the majority of them.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Not sure about all subjects but certainly for Sciences you get paid pretty well for at least the PhD and sometimes for the MSc too these days.

Take the PhD students doing chemistry at my uni for example. They get £12,000 tax free sponsership plus the opportunity to work part-time as lab demonstrators and markers for £11 an hour, the first £4,500 of earnings being tax free (as the sponsership part doesn't count as earnings).

I know that people get "paid" for PhDs, but for most it's after at least 5 years of debt, and barely covers their living costs. I don't know anyone who get's as much as that, and I don't know many PhD students who have all that much time to earn the extra.

Isn't this kind of superfluous? It doesn't really alter the fact that most people will have had to do a full 7 or 8 years of qualfying in debt, where the majority of that will have been unpaid where most people who progress to a PhD don't get paid anything worth mentioning, and if they go into work in their area of interest have to take a MASSIVE step down in wage to be a university lecturer.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:

This is true with some sciences, but it certainly does not happen in virtually all the other subjects.
  • Options
    They chose to do that. They get benefits other that thier wages. They can always try thier luck in the private sector.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be trying to get a wage increase but it isn't "they earn piss poor" or something as ridiculous as "they earn a half or quarter what they earn in other countries" so they shouldn't be affecting some of the students like they may do.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    They chose to do that. They get benefits other that thier wages. They can always try thier luck in the private sector.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be trying to get a wage increase but it isn't "they earn piss poor" or something as ridiculous as "they earn a half or quarter what they earn in other countries" so they shouldn't be affecting some of the students like they may do.

I think it is ridiculous that they earn less than what the people they are training will earn a couple of years after they graduate.

I fully support the lecturers.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:

That's exactly what they are doing, in the private sector they could easily earn two or three times as much.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:

They could all 'try their luck in the private sector' then where exactly would we be?

They do earn piss all in real terms, £25k isnt exactly loads to support a family is it.

And yes, they do earn a half to a quarter of what they could earn in other countries, that's why loads and loads of our really good professors have left.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    They could all 'try their luck in the private sector' then where exactly would we be?

They do earn piss all in real terms, £25k isnt exactly loads to support a family is it.

And yes, they do earn a half to a quarter of what they could earn in other countries, that's why loads and loads of our really good professors have left.

more like around 70-80%. why do loads and loads of really good professors come here?
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    more like around 70-80%. why do loads and loads of really good professors come here?

A good professor in the US can easily earn $100,000 thats even at £1-$2 double what they get here, and living expenses will be lower.

Professors come here because at the moment we still have decent universities, we have the reputation - though we wont for all that much longer.

Though having said that in some small fields researchers come here because they cant do the research elsewhere, stem cell stuff for example.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Don't forget, that includes location allowance at UCL, and a lot of PhD students are full time so can't get another job on top of it. 'Tis not that much really. And as for marking and demonstrating - they're earning that money.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:

Wow, they get to earn £12k and do overtime for £11 an hour? And the first £4,500 is tax-free as it is for everyone else in the country!

Whoop-de-doo. They're raking it in.

Lecturers are paid poorly for the work they do and the stature they have. That's a simple fact. A chemistry lecturer will earn £30,000, that's nothing. A train driver earns £40,000.
  • Options
    Wow, i wish everyone could say £30,000 was nothing!
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    In the US dont they have Grants systems again though? I mean for the poorer families who send children into higher education. I know the wealthier families have to pay through education. Also, medical professionals in the US, i think, end up hundreds of thousands of pounds in debt by the end of their education, but is there not a system their to say they do not have to pay it back and can in essence become debt free provided they allign themselves with particular insurance companies or something?