Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Irony redefined

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Lots of none fascist organisations have ties to fascist regimes. It is hardly new. By that definition BMW, IBM, etc are all fascist organisations.

I read it, it says women and men are the same to God, blah blah, usual Catholic stuff.

I am not saying the group do not oppress women, or anythign like that. I am saying is you have some people who hate the group saying one thing and the group denying such accusations. Just because some people give testimony doesnt mean it is true. Same with the groups denials. When i see REAL evidence i will judge them.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    What is their position on women? because I can't find anything specific.

ETA: In fact, direct from Opus Dei in the FAQ

"Writing for Catholics for a Free Choice, Gordon Urquhart, a journalist and former Catholic priest, in his report Conservative Catholic Influence in Europe, describes Opus Dei "as one of the most reactionary organisations in the Roman Catholic Church today...for its devotion to promoting, as public policy, the Vatican's inflexibly traditionalist approach to women, and reproductive health."

Critics, including some ex-Opus Dei members, accused it of "sexist exploitation" of women, who they say were restricted in Opus Dei-run hostels to doing domestic work."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_Dei#Opus_Dei_and_women

And I can confirm from a number of cases that surfaced in Spain years ago that many women who managed to escape the grip of Opus Dei after having been brainwashed and taken by the sect stated they spent their time as semi slaves cleaning not only Opus Dei premises but sometimes even the residences of prominent members.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Lots of none fascist organisations have ties to fascist regimes. It is hardly new. By that definition BMW, IBM, etc are all fascist organisations.

I read it, it says women and men are the same to God, blah blah, usual Catholic stuff.

I am not saying the group do not oppress women, or anythign like that. I am saying is you have some people who hate the group saying one thing and the group denying such accusations. Just because some people give testimony doesnt mean it is true. Same with the groups denials. When i see REAL evidence i will judge them.
    That's exactly the same defence neo-cons put up when it gets pointed out to them that the US government is torturing prisoners at Guantanamo Bay and other detention centres.

Do you also believe that no torture takes place at such camps?

You know, most people, including the Courts and legal system, take witness statements as evidence enough. Though if you don't want to believe something no evidence in the world is going to change your mind.
  • Options
    Well, as you know there is video tape evidence and photographic evidence of torture in gauntanamo bay so it is nothing in the slightest bit like this situation. Had prisoners left guantanamo and said they were tortured but there was nothing to coroborate it i probably wouldnt believe them just on their testimony. Hence why there is evidence and it is left to a jury to make decisions in court....Maybe that is why witnesses are trained before put on the stand? I think so.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Aw, we wouldnt want to hurt the feelings of the corrupt dictator bankrollers now, would we...