Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Irony redefined

Catholic group Opus Dei has asked for a disclaimer to be placed on the film of The Da Vinci Code, released next month.

The organisation said it had written to Sony Pictures executives in Japan to ask the studio to emphasise that the film was a work of fantasy.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4913938.stm

*Ahem* :D
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It is just a work of fiction is the book.

And as for Jesus...well, we all know he got down and did the dirty with that professional whore he fell in love with!
  • Options
    Aladdin - do you have any clear aim with this other than to be slightly (very slightly) offensive?

So you're not religious, I think we all understand that now.
  • Options
    Yes, for starters to highlight again the plain nastiness of that sinister cult.

That the film and the book are both fictional events is already crystal clear. Movies do already carry a small disclaimer at the end of the credits regarding characters (and organisations, when applicable) being fictional.

The request by the Opus Dei that the distributors should "emphasise" it is a work of fiction is not only unnecessary and unorthodox, but also insulting.

If they believe what is said about them in the film (which incidentally is only the tip of the iceberg regarding that vile organisation) they can of course sue for libel and put the record straight.

And of course (and I guess we arrive at the "slightly offensive" bit you mention) if the Opus Dei sees fit to urge film companies to emphasise one of their products is a work of fantasy, surely they are opening themselves up to be asked the same thing regarding their publications?

I'd like to know what it is exactly the Opus Dei sees as fantasy. That Jesus was married? That the so-called Holy Grail is in fact the secret bloodline of the descendants of Jesus? If so, how is it any more fictional or unbelievable than what they claim to be true?
  • Options
    I'm just not sure where that gets us, your contributions here are interesting and mostly rational, then we get onto religion and you're just as rabid and dismissive as a hardline fundamentalist (which in many ways you are).

And, in many ways I agree with your stance about organised religion, but your rants quicky include anyone who isnt an atheist.

You confuse personal belief which can be both individually and socially very rewarding with people using The Church for purposes totally not in line with the scripture.

Having faith isnt inherantly wrong.
  • Options
    I love the start of Fargo where it says "based on a true story" which of course is complete bollocks. The Coen Brothers just thought they'd put it in anyway. To be honest, anyone who believes something they see in a film to be the absolute truth needs their head checking. But should they have to put a disclaimer at the start? Should they hell. Neither should any films based on Christian stories.
  • Options
    I wasn't having a go at everyone who is religiuos was I? :confused:

Are you a member of the Opus Dei or something?

I'm pretty sure the immense majority of believers couldn't give a rat's arse about films that question aspects of their religion. But I make no apologies for having a go at the minority who make such extraordinary demands as to urge others to include disclaimers about fictional events while pretending their own set of completely unproven beliefs are beyond doubt.

Especially when the beliefs in question are used to brainwash individuals and spread homophobia and fascistic authoritarianism amongst other things.
  • Options
    yeah its one of my pet peeves about people who watch a film such as U-571 and then start moaning its not accurate.

A film either good or bad on its own merits, not on whether its accurate or not. 'Titanic' wasn't bad historically (vying probably with Night to Remember as the most accurate potrayal), but I'd rather stab out my own eyes than watch it again.

On the other hand I could make a list a mile long of the historical innaccuracies with 'Zulu', but its a marvellous film
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I wasn't having a go at everyone who is religiuos was I? :confused:

Are you a member of the Opus Dei or something?

I'm pretty sure the immense majority of believers couldn't give a rat's arse about films that question aspects of their religion. But I make no apologies for having a go at the minority who make such extraordinary demands as to urge others to include disclaimers about fictional events while pretending their own set of completely unproven beliefs are beyond doubt.

Especially when the beliefs in question are used to brainwash individuals and spread homophobia and fascistic authoritarianism amongst other things.

Im not as it happens, and I'm not really even religious as such, its just your sneering attitude to people who happen to believe which I find annoying.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

You confuse personal belief which can be both individually and socially very rewarding with people using The Church for purposes totally not in line with the scripture.

What about people who personally beleive the Dan Brown stuff and are offended by Opus Dei and the Church claiming they are just conspiracy nuts, why is their right not to be offended more important than people who have religious belief?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Im not as it happens, and I'm not really even religious as such, its just your sneering attitude to people who happen to believe which I find annoying.
    I think you're reading me wrong. I've said countless times I have no problem whatsoever with believers so long as they don't impose their views on others.

I have a problem with believers who take a moral high ground and/or claim they are undeniably right and anyone who questions them is undeniably wrong.

The Opus Die is one such group. Sony Pictures should go tell them to stick the disclaimer where the sun don't shine.
  • Options
    Opus Dei is a modern Catholic group of Pope John Paul II founded in 1928. Although it does take the line of the Pope of the day, whom ever that pope maybe, they do tend to sway to the right of religious views. But anyone who learns about the organisation isntead of believing mediocre works of fiction like the film or good works of fiction like the book will quickly learn that the group merely exists to encourage Catholics back into the church and is there in an effort to try to bring faith back the secular masses who do not have faith.

There have been countless sociological and psychological studies regarding attitudes towards Opus Dei and the results have been clear, that although much is mistrust of the group, most people are merely ignorant of the facts surrounding them. That above all else is why they are hated and targetted needlessly.

Them saying they want a disclaimer making it clear that the film is purely fictional is quite understanable to me. I know if my families business was written into a film and was the centre of huge conspiracy involving murder and crime i would demand a huge massive full screen disclaimer showing that the film was fictional and that my family are not all murdering criminals!
  • Options
    No it's not quite understandable at all. Do you see the police force, any police force, demanding that film makers include an extra disclaimer to make it clear that they didn't do this or that if the film in question portrays a copper as a murderer or corrupt?

I'm Spanish and know the Opus Dei well. Take it from me- they are the dictionary definition of evilness.
  • Options
    They are not Evil, your making that your personal quest to convert the world of Catholics (i am protestant) to be self-haters, Opus Dei are just a conservative branch of the Church. It is their modernism because they are not even 100 years old as a group that makes people question them, it is ignorant mistrust. And i think in cases where stories of the police are "Based on a true story" in some way, but still fictional the Police do ask for specific or modifed disclaimers. So do the armed forces in America in war films, etc.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'm Spanish and know the Opus Dei well. Take it from me- they are the dictionary definition of evilness.

Hehe you'd think a good ole Spaniard like yourself would be an upstanding proud Catholic. :D
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    They are not Evil, your making that your personal quest to convert the world of Catholics (i am protestant) to be self-haters, Opus Dei are just a conservative branch of the Church. It is their modernism because they are not even 100 years old as a group that makes people question them, it is ignorant mistrust. And i think in cases where stories of the police are "Based on a true story" in some way, but still fictional the Police do ask for specific or modifed disclaimers. So do the armed forces in America in war films, etc.
    If you do a bit of research you might find out about the Opus Dei brainwashing- and I mean, literally brainwashing in the worst possible cult sense of the word- young people and taking them away.

There have been one or two high profile court cases in Spain where the families of dissapeared young people- usually female- sue the Opus Dei and demand they are released back into the family. Often such youngsters have been found doing maid duties in Opus Dei headquarters or even the houses of high officials within the sect.

They are profoundly homophobic and sexist and they make Islamist extremists look like champions of women's rights.

And they have a long history of appeasement and active collaboration with Franco and the fascists of Spain. Not to mention high level inflitration at political and judiciary level in contemporary Spain, and to a lesser extent in other Catholic countries.

Make no mistake. They are truly despicable and make the mainstream Catholic Church highly desirable in comparison, even to me.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I'm just not sure where that gets us, your contributions here are interesting and mostly rational, then we get onto religion and you're just as rabid and dismissive as a hardline fundamentalist (which in many ways you are).
    :yes: I agree on this one.
    If you do a bit of research you might find out about the Opus Dei brainwashing- and I mean, literally brainwashing in the worst possible cult sense of the word- young people and taking them away.
    You could argue that with consumer culture... Are we not all brainwashed anyway? In to the 'us' and 'them' ideas of the world... You could argue that science is brainwashing us in to atheism.
    I think you're reading me wrong. I've said countless times I have no problem whatsoever with believers so long as they don't impose their views on others.
    Some faiths ask their followers to convert people and these individuals often do believe they're helping people. As sad as it is... By the way, never knew you are Spanish... How long have you been in the UK?

As for the film... I support what they say...

Whether they are monsters or saints they still deserve an accurate representation and if it is not accurate and fictional, it should be said so.
  • Options
    To be honest its pretty obvious its fictional. As Aladdin said you don't watch a cop show and expect the makers to put up a disclaiming saying 'By the way - this isn't a documentary'
  • Options
    [QUOTE='-[MoonRat]

You could argue that with consumer culture... Are we not all brainwashed anyway? In to the 'us' and 'them' ideas of the world... You could argue that science is brainwashing us in to atheism.[/quote] Not a very fair comparison... not unless consumerism and atheism made you dissapear, break all contact with your family and friends, and if found tell them you'd rather stay living with your fellow cult members cleaning their houses and acting as a live-in maid because "they are my family now".

It has sometimes taken a year plus of intensive therapy to deprogram victims of the Opus Dei.

It's as nasty as brainwashing goes.

By the way, never knew you are Spanish... How long have you been in the UK?
    12 years.
  • Options
    Whether they are monsters or saints they still deserve an accurate representation and if it is not accurate and fictional, it should be said so.
    Why do they? Do they really have that little faith in people to understand that it's a film?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Not a very fair comparison... not unless consumerism and atheism made you dissapear, break all contact with your family and friends, and if found tell them you'd rather stay living with your fellow cult members cleaning their houses and acting as a live-in maid because "they are my family now".

It has sometimes taken a year plus of intensive therapy to deprogram victims of the Opus Dei.
    They do that?

Well if people want to do that then it's there choice? I remember a while ago reading a report in to the Moonies by Eileen Barker (I think I got the names right) that people claimed were brainwashing vulnerable people. Maybe similar research could be done on Opus Dei?

Do you have any links or sources on the brainwashing?
  • Options
    They do that?

Well if people want to do that then it's there choice? I remember a while ago reading a report in to the Moonies by Eileen Barker (I think I got the names right) that people claimed were brainwashing vulnerable people. Maybe similar research could be done on Opus Dei?
    Good luck trying. They are very powerful people.

As for whether it is their choice, given that in most cases the youngsters in question went from being socially normal, religiously moderate (if religious at all) and loving of their families to recluses who suddendly dissapeared from their environments, cut all links with their families and moved out of their home towns and into Opus Dei centres, I think you can argue that they haven't exactly made an informed and balanced decision with a sound mind.
    Do you have any links or sources on the brainwashing?
    Not to specific cases at hand, no. Bear in mind these were cases that popped up in Spain from time to time when I was living there.

However there are lots of background info and witnesses account if you do a simple search. Some of it might not be entirely unbiased but they still depict a very accurate image of the cult:

http://www.odan.org/questionable_practices.htm

http://www.mond.at/opus.dei/opus.dei.uo.faq.html

http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/dei.html

http://www.natcath.com/NCR_Online/archives/090597/090597l.htm

http://www.geocities.com/catolicos2001/truth.htm
  • Options
    All those sites are just anti-Opus Dei sites. They are 100% biased and written in a way that just says the same thing, and could be applied to any cult because they are so general.

Maybe they are extreme and have in some cases been accused of "brainwashing" and responsible for "programming" people. But those are all written with an agenda and not as a neutral unbiased look at the group. So i shall reserve my judgement until i read something that is true and not propaganda based.
  • Options
    Is there anything ever in life that is not unbiased?

You could apply that logic to almost anything or any regime. Maybe Saddam Hussein didn't torture and kill anybody. Maybe he was a kind and benign ruler and we've all been had by the Western-controlled media.

Etc etc.

If you are not prepared to accept testimonies of ex-members who have managed to escape the grip of the cult, then what could you possibly accept?

They say there is no smoke without fire- in the case of the Opus Dei there's enough smoke to cover the entire atmosphere of Jupiter.

The cult is nasty, manipulative, mysoginist, extremist and fascist- you'd better believe that.
  • Options
    Your saying i should accept testimony of people who hate the organisation and take it as true, but i cannot take what representatives of the organisation say.

I'm sure a Protestant intellectual researcher who is border-line atheist or not a religious person really could examine Opus Dei with out been bias. Or at least their bias would be moderate, not blatently one sided hate statements, linking this organisation to a huge global cult-conspiracy of persecuting women, kidnapping and brainwashing based on a few statements that are not proven yet.

Maybe Aladdin you should find some proven facts before running off at the mouth like an expert when the whole thread is just your desire to show how much you hate something some people believe in.

You dont see me starting a, lets hate all Islamic fundamentalist groups because they have no reason on earth to believe anything they do, they are just wrong. If i did you would come at the thread with your usual one sided closed minded bullshit about how they are freedom fighters with a cause and not just mental psychotics bent on getting into heaven through murder and suicide all in one movement.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The cult is nasty, manipulative, mysoginist, extremist and fascist- you'd better believe that.

:lol:

Facsist? WTF are you on about? :confused:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    subject13 wrote:
    It is just a work of fiction is the book.

And as for Jesus...well, we all know he got down and did the dirty with that professional whore he fell in love with!

She was his wife! How dare you call the prophet wife a whore. I must burn your embassy for my religion is offended.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Your saying i should accept testimony of people who hate the organisation and take it as true, but i cannot take what representatives of the organisation say.

I'm sure a Protestant intellectual researcher who is border-line atheist or not a religious person really could examine Opus Dei with out been bias. Or at least their bias would be moderate, not blatently one sided hate statements, linking this organisation to a huge global cult-conspiracy of persecuting women, kidnapping and brainwashing based on a few statements that are not proven yet.
    Of course they're bloody proven. Have a look at the countless witness statements (references to many of which can be found on the the links I have posted earlier. Have a look at Opus Dei's own official website and see what their position is on women and what they make them do.

What more proof would anyone need??????
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    :lol:

Facsist? WTF are you on about? :confused:
    Some of it is explained here (scroll down a bit)

But you don't need any further proof when you learn that the Opus Dei was a full collaborator and ally of the very fascist regime of Francisco Franco.
  • Options
    What is their position on women? because I can't find anything specific.

ETA: In fact, direct from Opus Dei in the FAQ
    Do women and men have the same status in Opus Dei?
    Women and men share equal dignity as children of God and are equally called to live their faith fully. Men and women faithful of the Prelature follow the same spirit, promote similar apostolates, work in all honorable professions, and have the same vocation of endeavoring to sanctify work and family life. In addition, lay women and men discharge identical responsibilities of government and formation in the Prelature.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Some of it is explained here (scroll down a bit)

But you don't need any further proof when you learn that the Opus Dei was a full collaborator and ally of the very fascist regime of Francisco Franco.

So what? The organisation itself isn't fascist.