Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ding! Council Tax.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote:
    Well, that's not true for a start.

It is 21 hours, you're right. My error.

To be classed as a full time student you have to be on a course which involves 21 study hours a week or more. It's the law.

Less than that, and you're just a part-time student. Lower SLC entitlement, and no council tax exemption. Tough luck.
  • Options
    For instance this university considers full time to be four modules at between 3-6 hours tuition per module... Therefore they might have a full time student with 12 hours tuition per week. http://www.dcs.napier.ac.uk/pg/faq/index.htm#9
  • Options
    No, you're not understanding what people are saying to you.

Study time does not just include the time you are in lectures. For instance I had 8-10 hours of supervised study a week- lectures and tutorials- but I was expected to study for another 25-30 hours a week independently. It was a condition of the course. Independent study hours count.

For the same reason people on sandwich courses often maintain their council tax exemptions.
  • Options
    It was you who mentioned 'tuition hours', see post 60.
  • Options
    And back to your origonal 'fraud' accusation. What is fraudulant about submitting weekly accounts, especially when the council tax benefit is calculated on a weekly basis?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    It was you who mentioned 'tuition hours', see post 60.

Not my fault you have poor comprehension.
    And back to your origonal 'fraud' accusation. What is fraudulant about submitting weekly accounts, especially when the council tax benefit is calculated on a weekly basis?

Well what's the benefit if you're not trying to fiddle your books?

You will make £x profit regardless of how you illustrate it. There's a reason why your council will ask for five weeks or two months pay slips, or books for the same period. As I say, greater minds than yours have to pay it.

CTB is based on income, it is a benefit paid by the council, it is not an exemption from tax. If you claim it by creative accounting, you're committing benefit fraud.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Not my fault you have poor comprehension.

Well what's the benefit if you're not trying to fiddle your books?

You will make £x profit regardless of how you illustrate it. There's a reason why your council will ask for five weeks or two months pay slips, or books for the same period. As I say, greater minds than yours have to pay it.

CTB is based on income, it is a benefit paid by the council, it is not an exemption from tax. If you claim it by creative accounting, you're committing benefit fraud.

What's the benefit you ask? Like I said- some weeks I would qualify for more help, some for less, overall I'd be better off. Yes the amount of profit I've made is the same for the last three months as it is for the last 13 weeks in total. But, the amount of profit I made in week one was much less than in week thirteen.

For income, they've used my net profit and calculated the benefit weekly, therefore what is fraudulant about submitting my accounts weekly?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    For income, they've used my net profit and calculated the benefit weekly, therefore what is fraudulant about submitting my accounts weekly?

Sumbit them however the hell you want poppet, the result will be exactly the same.

You ain't cottoned on to some big secret.
  • Options
    Well, that seems silly to assume.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Well, that seems silly to assume.

If you're so certain, why don't you just do it and stop wasting out time harping on about it in here? Obviously none of us know your exact circumstances - mostly because you're so amazingly vague all the time - so only you and the council can sort it out.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Wow - the love in here is overwhelming. :heart::heart:
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    Wow - the love in here is overwhelming. :heart::heart:

:lol: :thumb:
  • Options
    ive read it and re-read it and cant see how on earth that can be seen as fraud :|
    it just looks like some people have git something against Katralla for some reason and are pretty much making it up as they go along.
  • Options
    ive read it and re-read it and cant see how on earth that can be seen as fraud :|

I read it that she's wanting to fiddle her books so that it appears to the council that her profit is significantly lower than it is. That is fraudulently claiming a benefit you are not entitled to, which I believe is called "fraud" normally.

If she isn't wanting to fiddle her books to fraudulently claim a benefit she is not entitled to then there is no point in doing what she proposes.
    it just looks like some people have git something against Katralla for some reason

I don't know her from Adam.

Though I'll say one thing: funnily enough the mods seem to have deleted the post of hers where she said I was a "fat fuck" and that she hoped I died. Odd that.
  • Options
    oh come on, theres a difference between someone doing proper fraud and someone seeing if they are maybe paying a bit too much, and could they possibly pay a bit less considering they are a student and have a child to support and are getting fuck all money as it is. I mean FFS.
    If you honestly think thats fraud then you really are mr Pedant.
    If she could get it cheaper by submitting it weekly, yet she continued to submit monthly, therefore paying more than she needs to, and basically doing herself and her child out of money, then she`d be a fucking moron.
  • Options
    If she's entitled to it then claim it, by all means. As I've said all along.

She sounds like she is trying to use creative accounting to hide her true income. That is fraud, and Revenue and Customs would agree.