Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Ding! Council Tax.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Actually because it's fiat currency and a fractional reserve banking system, anyone who doesn't pay gives £900 to everyone else.

Facts ftw!
    Money doesn't exist! The Government doesn't exist!

Et cetera ad infinitum.

Got any new points?
    Not til you address the old ones. ;)

How do you manage in that place where you have to answer questions or else I wonder?
    Kermit wrote:
    There wasn't one.

Katralla likes having the services councils provide, but doesn't seem quite so happy to pay her way. She is, in fact, happy to steal £900+ from the people in her city.

And I've got to love her eloquent responses when people point out she's thieving. Funny how her obscene insults to me have disappeared, isn't it petal?

Look, I removed the posts because you and Mist just attacked me for no reason. You came to the conclusion that I wanted to claim something I wouldn't have otherwise been entitled to, and that I was a fraudster and theif etc. You concluded incorrectly and I was EXTREMELY offended! How rude to be called a theif and a fraudster when I am anything but!

You didn't pay council tax for three or four years, correct? So, were you theiving from the people who were at the time?

There was absolutely nothing in the OP to suggest I was trying to do something wrong- you just came to that conclusion because that's the nasty kind of person you are!

I shouldn't have to explain or defend myself against your lies and insults but- I AM a full-time student and I AM on a low income! I am supposed to be exempt from council tax, my bill for the year was for £0. My bill for the next year 06/07 is £0. I tried to claim a little help with my rent, and submitted my accounts as they asked- not fiddled! Along with their assesment for and Housing Benefit eligability they sent me a lovely council tax demand... which included a discount of what they'd assesed my Council Tax Benefit to be. A quick glance at the calculation shows they assess this weekly... My OP was stating that my unfiddled weekly accounts would entitle me to more help paying the demand.

Nowhere did I write I was going to fiddle my accounts (or submit three weeks worth for months that have 4 and 5). Or that I was trying to claim something I wasn't entitled to.

Funny how my NI number works when people want money from me, but not so readily the other way around (SLC and LEA to be exact). Actually it's not funny at all!
    Firstly, you were not "attacked". Get over yourself for god's sake.

Secondly if you're a full time student on low income, you would be exempt anyway, so i don't really see how you can pay less than zero, unless you're suggesting that the council should be paying you money for some reason.
    katralla wrote:
    Look, I am supposed to be exempt from council tax, my bill for the year was for £0. My bill for the next year 06/07 is £0. !

Call me naive for not reading the posts, but stfu and let me lend you the £00000000000000000000000 to pay it off.

There ya go. job done, right?

What are you moaning about a bill for £0 for?
    Mist wrote:
    Secondly if you're a full time student on low income, you would be exempt anyway,

Well yes- that's why the revised bill for na amount greater than £0 was a suprise, and one I hadn't budgeted for!

Mist wrote:
    so i don't really see how you can pay less than zero, unless you're suggesting that the council should be paying you money for some reason.

What? The new bill is for more than £0 otherwise I wouldn't be looking at ways to avoid or reduce it.
    Full time students are not eligible for Housing Benefit....

Bsing a full-time student doesn't automatically make you ineligable for housing benefit, it depends on your circumstances though.
    You're contradicting yourself. Either your bill is for nothing or it isn't. At the moment it seems to be both.
    I was told it would be for nothing, I was in receipt of a bill for nothing, but stupid me had to go and be HONEST (yes, that's right, not a theif or fraudster at all!) I told them I wouldn't be receiving a student loan installment for sem2 because I'd told the SLC and uni that I couldn't afford to go in to lectures for sem2 and would have to work... Council said- fine, doesn't affect anything, apply for HB for some help and therefore submit your accounts...

The bill I recieved in Sept (when I moved in) for 05/06 was for £0 with exemption N. The bill I recieved end of March for 05/06 was for more than £0 with single person discount and the CTB they calculated taken off. My bill for 06/07, recieved end of March is for £0 showing exemption N. Yes, I have pointed this out to them :(

Their letters always seem to be emblazoned with REPLY TO THIS LETTER WITHIN 7 DAYS OR YOU MAY BE FINED OR LOSE ANY ENTITLEMENT TO BENEFITS etc... whereas my letters go ignored for months... I've been writing since Jan to get them to confirm in writing what I was told over the telephone about my Council Tax... They don't even acknowlege receipt of letters...

Why is the long drawn out explanation necessary? It is an attack on somones character to assume they are guilty of something.
    Well the working out is correct, you are not classified as a student unless you attend for a certain amount of hours per week. You say yourself that you are working. So your council tax bill should charge you with Single Person Discount for the time that you are not classed as a student.
    Well if you were working why shouldn't you have to pay like everyone else then?
    Mist wrote:
    Well the working out is correct, you are not classified as a student unless you attend for a certain amount of hours per week.

That's not true though. Students are still students over semester three whether they have lectures or not. They told me the classification would still stand when I asked them in January.

So- going back to to the OP about the way THEY worked out the CTB - it was worked out weekly, therefore if I showed them my my accounts weekly (not fiddled, honest and as is) I would get a bigger reduction, maybe. A reduction THEY would work out, so I wouldn't be being dishonest or stealing from anybody...
    Tweety wrote:
    Well if you were working why shouldn't you have to pay like everyone else then?

I don't have it! They told me wouldn't get a bill, if there's a work around to their rules- why shouldn't I exploit it? Students don't stop being students because they are working, plenty of students work.
    Yes, but when the students are working they are still attendint their lectures. Taking a semester out means you aren't a student at that time.
    Taking a semester out means you aren't a student at that time.

This isn't true. How many students do you know who paid council tax over semester three, when they weren't attending lectures?- I know our uni has 'em but most people don't attend them. Like I said- THEY told me the exemption still stands, I'd already shown them my student certificate, if I'd wanted to be dishonest I would have not contacted them in Jan, not cancelled my next student loan installation etc. I have/had nothing to hide, it's all very simple, the accounts, the dates etc... If I'd been anticipating the bill, I'd have at least tried to budget for it- which is prettyy hard when the demand comes unexpectedly with a few days to pay it before it starts acrueing penalties and fines and more letters that you just don't want to find on your doormat...
    katralla wrote:
    I don't have it! They told me wouldn't get a bill, if there's a work around to their rules- why shouldn't I exploit it? Students don't stop being students because they are working, plenty of students work.

What the hell? Your earlier post said that you told your uni that you won't be attending, not that you didn't have lectures. Besides which, it's based on the amount of time you're in uni, and if you're working full time, you're no longer classed as a student. It's fairly simple.
    What has happened here is that the council has fucked up.

Now if private business does that you can argue with them etc.

If the council fucks up, you have to pay for their mistakes, extra for their delays and get no recompense for sorting out their mess.

And that's assuming you actually owe them something in the first place, which no one can provide me any facts for. they bill you for services you don't even get. It's a fucking joke.
    Mist wrote:
    What the hell? Your earlier post said that you told your uni that you won't be attending, not that you didn't have lectures.

Well, if I don't sign up for the modules I don't have lectures and don't attend- what are you picking at?
    Mist wrote:
    Besides which, it's based on the amount of time you're in uni, and if you're working full time, you're no longer classed as a student. It's fairly simple.

It's not based on the amount of time you're at uni though. I'm not working full-time.

It is rather simple isn't it?
    Full time students are not eligible for Housing Benefit....
    they are if they have children.
    katralla wrote:
    Well, if I don't sign up for the modules I don't have lectures and don't attend- what are you picking at?

The fact that that means you aren't actually at uni. Geez.
    It's not based on the amount of time you're at uni though. I'm not working full-time.

It is rather simple isn't it?

Yes, it is, and you're wrong.

Quote from my council website. Obviously yours may be different but I doubt it -
    They must be studying for an academic term, which usually involves 21 hours of study per week and takes at least 24 weeks per year.

I mean, you seem to think that it's ok for you to not actually be a student, IE to work instead of doing any classes, but still not pay council tax because "you're a student", which is stupid, but nothing short of what I've come to expect from you really.
    Mist wrote:
    Quote from my council website. Obviously yours may be different but I doubt it -

They must be studying for an academic term, which usually involves 21 hours of study per week and takes at least 24 weeks per year.

it says 'study'- I study, 24 weeks per year- yup fulfill that one too; ends that little problem for you. Your quote says 'an academic term' and doesn't specify further than that. Please also note the word 'usually' too, I would take this to mean they make exceptions where someone could reasonably be termed a student and not fulfill the hours/weeks guidelines. I can think of many situations where university students would come in under those hours/weeks, for instance where someone's modules are not lecture based and have only one or two tutorials for the semester...
    Mist wrote:
    I mean, you seem to think that it's ok for you to not actually be a student, IE to work instead of doing any classes, but still not pay council tax because "you're a student", which is stupid, but nothing short of what I've come to expect from you really.

Since when did 'doing classes' define whether you are a student or not? Using the quote you found above, the criteria seems to be determined by 'studying', which makes more sense. Their rules not mine, therefore if you have a problem with it- take it up with the council.
    katralla wrote:
    Since when did 'doing classes' define whether you are a student or not? Using the quote you found above, the criteria seems to be determined by 'studying', which makes more sense. Their rules not mine, therefore if you have a problem with it- take it up with the council.

Whatever kid, I'm not the one trying to scrimp on my bill.

And if you're working, you're not a student.
    Mist wrote:

Whatever kid...
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Mist wrote:
    Whatever kid, I'm not the one trying to scrimp on my bill.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here? Plenty of students work - let's face it some people have families to support while studying, so not working just wouldn't be an option. Also plenty of students don't have classes for a certain period during their course - often up to a year for four year courses. If you haven't got anything else constructive to add then it might be an idea to quit making digs.
    **Helen** wrote:
    I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here? Plenty of students work -.

Obviously.

Maybe I wasn't quite clear enough. If someone is working full time, then they aren't a full time student. You can't be both. It seems like Katralla thinks that you can.

If you haven't got anything else constructive to add then it might be an idea to quit making digs

You mean something constructive to add to the "big fuck you" that Katralla's posts are now?

I was trying to get to the bottom of the situation, but hey, why should I bother, she can work it out herself with the council.
    Mist wrote:
    Obviously.

Maybe I wasn't quite clear enough. If someone is working full time, then they aren't a full time student. You can't be both. It seems like Katralla thinks that you can.

yes I do think that someone can work full time and be a full-time student. However that's completely irrelevant as I've already answered this for you, I don't work full-time.

Mist wrote:
    You mean something constructive to add to the "big fuck you" that Katralla's posts are now?

I was trying to get to the bottom of the situation, but hey, why should I bother, she can work it out herself with the council.

Trying to get to the bottom of it, hardly! Your first post was to tell me that it's obvious I would be submitting accounts sowing less weeks than their are over the accounting period- how ridiculous! Hence the big fuck you!
    To be a full-time student you have to be on a course that has more than 24 tuition hours a week.

If you're not then you're not a full time student, and you're not entitled to the student exemption from council tax.

If you are poor then you should claim every penny of the CTB that you are entitled to. However I would suggest that you, in fact, are not poor if you are having to fiddle your books to make it appear that you are.

I would also point out that council tax staff are not idiots, and will spot this sort of creative accounting. And then probably prosecute you for fraud.
    Kermit wrote:
    To be a full-time student you have to be on a course that has more than 24 tuition hours a week.

Well, that's not true for a start.