Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Best European city for a long weekend and good nightlife?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi, me and my uni friends are planning to go away in june to a european city for a long weekend and was wondering where the best places are to go in terms of nightlife and things to do? Preferabley somewhere warm and cheap as well! Places we are considering: Rome, Budapest, Florence, Venice, Athens etc-any other suggestions or recommendations?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    amsterdam!

my friend has just been to budapest and she liked it but its not somwhere you'd go for night life -the bars are quite weird.
    rome is pretty lively and there are lots fo things to do during the day too.
  • Options
    I'd recommend Hamburg :hyper: best city in Europe, though it's a bit of a bugger to get to depending on where you live.

Berlin is top notch too, as is Cologne/Bonn...where, if you're as brave/stupid as I am, you can go swimming in the Rhine - watch out for the current!

Out of the cities you mentioned I'd probably go for Rome or Budapest, very different cities but they've both got a lot going for them...depending on what you're after. :)
  • Options
    copenhagen is sposed to be good too!
  • Options
    Munich tbh.

Vastly underrated, but its cheap to get to, cheap to get around, and has the best beer in Europe. It's cheap, too, unlike more famous and popular cities.

I want to go to the Hofbrauhaus again now :grump:
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    copenhagen is sposed to be good too!

I know I am biased, but it is one of the best for a weekend trip.
    Amazing shopping, incredible nightlife (most places open til 5-6 in the morning), and a generally good atmosphere, and nice aesthethics in the city all around.

Though expect prices to be more or less the same as in London (not for club entrance though - around 5-7 pounds), and the weather is shit at the moment. Quite nice and pleasant in summer, though.
  • Options
    barcelona :heart:

cheap flights, awesome shopping, all the culture you could ever need and a sex museum if you just want to pretend to be cultured.
  • Options
    Barcelona!!!!

Without a doubt.

Second choice, Amsterdam.
  • Options
    Barcelona :D Love it.

Or Prague? Cheap accommodation, very very cheap beer, lots of culture and nightlife :)
  • Options
    Again, I have to say Barcelona. I went about 3 weeks ago and loved it!!
  • Options
    :-)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    TheSite's travel top ten rates Dublin for a weekend break- which is cool, but I'd also say Amsterdam :heart: or Barcelona :yes:
  • Options
    Dublin is too expensive for my liking.

my fave city breaks ive been on are probably Riga, Prague, Berlin, Barcelona, amsterdam.

those would be my top 5. all relatively cheap to go to. ive also got Vienna and Bratislava lined up this summer which im looking forward to
  • Options
    BARCELONA!! I am going there in the summer, and managed to book flights and 7 nights stay in a hostel for less than 200 pounds
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    amsterdam!
    migpilot wrote:
    Amsterdam
    vanman06 wrote:
    AMSTERDAM!
    **Helen** wrote:
    Amsterdam :heart:
    koe182 wrote:
    amsterdam
    Amsterdam

Oh please. That's so old. Amsterdam is boring, superficial, seedy and exceptionally overpriced. All in all, one of my least favourite cities in Europe. Full of drunk twattish frat boys and shady Africans selling 'coke'. I hate Amsterdam with a passion. If it's legal weed and prostitution you're gunning for then go to somewhere like the Hague, Rotterdam, Utrecht or Antwerp. Avoid Amsterdam like the fucking plague.

Copenhagen is awesome if a little expensive like most of Scandinavia.

Riga in Latvia is great if you want something a little more off the beaten track.

As a complete Slavophile, I would also recomment St. Petersburg but visa requirements seem to put most people off. Other good places in Eastern Europe include Bratislava, Warsaw and Kiev.

Rome naturally has unsurpassable beauty but the nightlife, discarding fabulous restaurants, is a little quiet. Just not the Italian culture of going out and getting pissed. Going out for a drink in Italy means coffee.

Prague sadly has become a victim of the stag night culture that is plaguing once stunning European cities. Not as great as it used to be.

Munich and Barcelona are fantastic but I'd probably recommend either Madrid or Salamanca over the latter. Just personal preferance stemming from the dirty impure Spanish that is spoken in Barca. Plus less tourists in Salamanca which thus makes it my favourite Spanish speaking city on the planet.

Dublin, as people have pointed out, is very overpriced. I would personally avoid it unless you know some locals who can show you the places off the vomit-strewn beaten track.

Belgium is also fantastic. More beers than anywhere else in the world. Just stay out of Brussels.
  • Options
    Guest wrote: »
    Munich tbh.

Vastly underrated, but its cheap to get to, cheap to get around, and has the best beer in Europe. It's cheap, too, unlike more famous and popular cities.

I want to go to the Hofbrauhaus again now :grump:

Pretty much anyone is claiming that they have the best beer but only in Prague this is true. :D By the way, besides the usual as willing girls, cheap alcohols and great clubs, Prague have a hidden gem on top. There are many massage parlors offering erotic massages. Seriously, there are like 30 great places. If you ever gonna have your way to Prague, you should try this one. Trust me, you gonna have a great time. :)
  • Options
    Welcome to the forum @mila44 Hope you stay with us and enjoy the forums and our new chat. :)

Madrid es grandeza! :d
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    Prague is often mentioned as a good place to go. Lively nightlife, cheap accommodation and lots of cultural things to see over the weekend!x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Each to their own, eh? :)
  • Options
    MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
    Tinged with magic and often swirled in mist between October and December, a weekend break in Venice is like stepping back in time. Go later, say in January and you might see this beautiful city enclosed in a blanket of snow, but Venice in springtime is magic, especially as it has no cars on the island, therefore is the perfect city to explore by foot. By walking you’ll save money on water taxis and buses while getting a taste of the local life. And don’t worry if you get lost while visiting Venice, everyone does but it’s all part of the experience - just ask for directions back to St. Mark’s Square.

Belle