Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tories pledge to ban hoodies

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fair enough, the article is not clear on what the exact policy is, maybe it is just about keeping the hood down in the shops etc.........
  • Options
    No more nipping out without brushing my hair then... :(
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Story.

Just remember this when you vote next month.

Keep these people out of power FOREVER.

It's simple freedom of association.

Though governments shouldn't discriminate, private owners should. Even if you don't want someone in your shop because they've got a big nose, then so be it.
  • Options
    cambran wrote:
    Though governments shouldn't discriminate, private owners should. Even if you don't want someone in your shop because they've got a big nose, then so be it.
    Should we have "no jews allowed" signs then too, hitler?
  • Options
    Why not?
  • Options
    I would be in favour of hoodies being banned. Not because of anything they may indicate, or of any traits they denote to the tabloid press, but simply because most people who wear them look utterly ridicilous. What on earth do you need to wear a hood for if it's not windy or raining?

On a more serious note, however, this is typical of the gesture politics that the useless David Cameron now practises, in homage to the gesture politics that this equally useless government have been practicising for years. Banning a hoodie will not work. It is not a "hoodie" that is responsible for the crime, it is the person. There was a song a few years ago with a lyric "guns don't kill people, robbers do". Change the word "guns" to "hoodies" and you have an accurate description of my opinion on the subject.
  • Options
    well you don't need your hood up when you're indoors anyway
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    well you don't need your hood up when you're indoors anyway
    Some people still insist on wearing them indoors, under the impression they look "cool". No, you don't look cool, you just look like a goon.
  • Options
    Hoodies do keep people warm SG....and when you get to uni you'll learn that they are something you'll see all the time on campus...
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Hoodies do keep people warm SG....and when you get to uni you'll learn that they are something you'll see all the time on campus...
    Please don't tell me that Bristol is also "Hoodies Central"? I hope not...
  • Options
    Like a correspondant to one of the papers said a while ago, all the government needs to do is to give free hoodies to the elderly (who would certainly appreciate them in winter) and before you know it all the kids will be throwing away their hoodies in disgust as they become instantly uncool. :D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Like a correspondant to one of the papers said a while ago, all the government needs to do is to give free hoodies to the elderly (who would certainly appreciate them in winter) and before you know it all the kids will be throwing away their hoodies in disgust as they become instantly uncool. :D
    Hoodies cost less than the £200 each of the Winter Fuel Allowance. For the price of a hoodie, they'll be warm all winter. I hope Gordon Brown is reading this. He might just have got the solution to a fourth election victory for Labour, by which point it'll be Prime Minister Brown. ;)
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Please don't tell me that Bristol is also "Hoodies Central"? I hope not...

Exeter is, and its a uni with full of posh kids!
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Exeter is, and its a uni with full of posh kids!
    Oh, for god's sake... :(
  • Options
  • Options
    Argh! Stop going on about posh people! You're a posh person (comparative to most people)!

Too many exclamations!

Seriously, it makes me smile every time you have a rant. I don't think the reaction you're looking for is 'awww bless' somehow :p

Im not posh, i don't wear a pink rugby shirt with a flicked up neck :(
  • Options
    id do it anyway
  • Options
    I think one day, only white middle class suit clad businessmen paying 45% tax are going to be allowed out in public.
    I really don;t understand this government. On the one hand you have a society that is so Politically Correct its stupid, with so many anti-discrimination acts and the like coming in, then on the other we have anyone under the age of 21 being publically excluded and penalised.

MAKE YOUR BLOODY MIND UP!
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Im not posh

Nah, you're one of them people who goes to great lengths to pretend you're not posh.

Embrace your poshness:)
    Toadborg wrote:
    also notice that many of the people getting all irate are the same people who were incensed when a female pensioner complained at being asked to remove her hat in a pub.

Double standards?

Not really.

If she'd been asked to remove her hat in a public place then yeah, it would be double standards.

The reason why she was asked to remove her hat was the same reason why banks won't let you in the door if you still have your motorcycle lid on.
    Anyone read the link?

It is a policy by a local council group.

That'd be why I'm mentioning the local elections then, wouldn't it?

It is in the manifesto of the conservatives in Birmingham, read the story.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    That'd be why I'm mentioning the local elections then, wouldn't it? It is in the manifesto of the conservatives in Birmingham, read the story.
    It's almost as ridicilous as what Silvio Berlusconi promised Italians if they voted for him. He said they would live up to 100 with him in charge. Just a shame they wouldn't have any jobs to pass the time in the stagnant economy he presided over. But I digress...