Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tories pledge to ban hoodies

Story.

Just remember this when you vote next month.

Keep these people out of power FOREVER.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bunch of benders.
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to being banned from some places then...
  • Options
    Silly knobbers. Obviously the hoodie have everything to do with bad behaviour nowadays. Damn those intergalactic hoodies.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Fucking Tossers.

Is there ANY reason for this? I don't mind if someone would ask me to take my hood down when entering a shop - I do it automatically anyway.

Idiots. Typical over reaction.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    bunch of benders.
    Has your account been hijacked?

This story interests me nearly as much as the Bonking Boris one. The policy is so ridiculous that it could never be taken seriously by the electorate.
  • Options
    Now im older they dont bother me so much. They just do what they do and I do what I do. When I was 15 and nervous looking (well, i look nervous now, but perhaps the biker leathers puts them off) I used to get a lot of hassle. Could almost garuntee that a group of 'hoodies' would throw insults my way or laugh at me.

But I suppose anybody could really.

I dont agree with infringing on people's freedoms. Its just sad that even in this day and age we cant cure discontent with society. I think to say they dont cause problems for people is not fair, because in a lot of cases they do. Mainly they're just mouthy, but it just takes one really to kick things off.

But I think they should be allowed to wear their hoodies. If however, they're wearing it up in a shop, thats bad manners. As is wearing a hat indoors. But I was instilled with a sense of manners when I was ickle so maybe thats just me.
  • Options
    How bout we get together and ban politicians, all of them, once and for all!?
  • Options
    How bout we get together and ban politicians, all of them, once and for all!?

i dont like the way our political system works.

i sent a letter to my MP several weeks ago. i got a note back saying 'we are responding to your letter'. i still have not heard anything. talking or writing to my MP is the only way I can have my voice heard, except on ballot day, and even then I cant make much of an impact.

but i cant think of anything better. we have a choice, in some way. if they try and fuck us over we can vote for the other guy. or the third party. it might not make a difference but if they fuck everyone over... it will start to make a differece i think.
  • Options
    Its ridiculous, as Teh_Gerbil said, from instinct I also take my hood down when I enter a shop or something, I only wear it up if its cold for extra warmth, but to say that people wearing hoodies promote crime and engage in doing incriminating things and vandalism, well? If they're going to start being picky, then they could start with people who wear burberry items are the cause of under-age smoking or w/e.
    Politics has got to picky for me of recent, and I urge that if this rule gets put through, that really people should make a stand about this :(
  • Options
    People in high street tailored suits commit more crimes and of a greater magnitude than all the hoodie gangs or burberry chavs put together. lets ban pin strips and worsted wool suits!
  • Options
    i like my pin stripe suits :(
  • Options
    My suit is pin stripe :( (Although not tailored heh)
  • Options
    ...And teens like their hoodies, so f-ck off with all this ridiculous banning of everything. Personal fashion choices have nothing to do with criminal activity. Only criminal acts are indicative of criminal acts.

The whole social authoritarianism kick is just a further distraction from the real criminality being perpetrated beind closed doors in Westminster and Downing Street.
  • Options
    i thought hoodies were already banned in some shopping centres?

eta: yep http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/men/news/s/158/158568_hood_ban_to_curb_trafford_centre_yobs.html
  • Options
    i'm so glad they havent changed.hang on though,there will be more to come,they will commit propper political suicide.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    i'm so glad they havent changed.hang on though,there will be more to come,they will commit propper political suicide.
    They did that AGES ago.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Has your account been hijacked?

This story interests me nearly as much as the Bonking Boris one. The policy is so ridiculous that it could never be taken seriously by the electorate.
    Why would you say that? It basically covers it anyway.

I own something stupid like 8 or 9 hoodies, it's a stupid idea, all it does, if anything is target a symptom (and even then incompletely) rather than any give problem.
  • Options
    Anyone read the link?

It is a policy by a local council group.

There is no reason to beleive that this is official Tory policy at a national level and no reason to believe it would be...........
  • Options
    I also notice that many of the people getting all irate are the same people who were incensed when a female pensioner complained at being asked to remove her hat in a pub.

Double standards?

:chin:
  • Options
    Not at all, no-one is calling for the banning of hats, because hats in and of themselves do not insight criminal behaviour. The same thing is said of hoodies, but what could be comparable is that people shouldn't wear the hood up indoors, because they obscure features the same way a hat does.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    I also notice that many of the people getting all irate are the same people who were incensed when a female pensioner complained at being asked to remove her hat in a pub.

Double standards?

:chin:
    erm,no tbh
  • Options
    does that mean you can't put your hood up? Or you can't wear them at all?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Story.

Just remember this when you vote next month.

Keep these people out of power FOREVER.

:confused: Well while there might be a few local Tory councillors in favour of this I don’t think I’ve heard anything from Tory MPs, the shadow cabinet or David Cameron about banning hoodies.

On the other hand Tony Blair personally backed Bluewater when it banned hoodies, ‘I think that is fine...I agree with it’ and John Prescott added 'I welcome what Bluewater has done.' Source.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Not at all, no-one is calling for the banning of hats, because hats in and of themselves do not insight criminal behaviour. The same thing is said of hoodies, but what could be comparable is that people shouldn't wear the hood up indoors, because they obscure features the same way a hat does.

Well as seeing as the policy is about banning hoodies in shopping centres or town centres, not out right then you would support this policy?
  • Options
    This is insane. Talk about persecution of youth.
  • Options
    Why is it a persecution of youth? Do only young people wear hoodies?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Well as seeing as the policy is about banning hoodies in shopping centres or town centres, not out right then you would support this policy?
    See, although I agree with Fiend's point, the idea I was drivign at with my earlier question is that if it's an outright ban of hooded clothing I completely cannot condone it. If it's a question of keeping your hood down in shops and shopping centres then I agree. I do, anyway, as a matter of courtesy - just as I'll take my hat off or my headphones out of my ears.
  • Options
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    No, because I can wear a hoody with the hood down. It's like banning jumpers, or clothes.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No, because I can wear a hoody with the hood down. It's like banning jumpers, or clothes.
    Look at it like a dress code. Top hat and tails, fine; hoodies and ripped jeans, :no:

I didn't think 'benders' was very Fiend-esque