Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Aint it great we invaded afghanistan

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    At the risk of sounding like klintock - that's the same as every government there has ever been too.

Largely yes, though hopefully governments are a little more selective in who they bully and kill.
  • Options
    Well yes there is anger but its more then that. Its too simplitics.

Hell, the characters in Clerks are angry young men but they aren't terrorists
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Largely yes, though hopefully governments are a little more selective in who they bully and kill.

I think history would disagree with you there.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Well yes there is anger but its more then that. Its too simplitics.

Hell, the characters in Clerks are angry young men but they aren't terrorists

What else is there? Some deeper evil? Are they possessed by the devil?
  • Options
    No I wouldn't say that, but then again who can say 110% are not.

I just think its more then anger, its deepr, its fanatacism, its expectation, its culture, its psychoticism, its opportunism, its just more then anger.
  • Options
    John Horgan's the Psychology of Terrorism is a good book if you want to learn more about the motivation. There have been a number of interesting studies into terrorist personalities, personal history and brain chemistry to determine what makes them the way they are.

If I wasn't so tired, I could probably tell you right here the conclusion of the book. But I read the book months ago and I'm operating on 3 hours sleep. What I can remember is that its important to remember that terrorism is a tactic of the weak, otherwise they would be guerrillas, which is a whole seperate thing, legally and strategically.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I just think its more then anger, its deepr, its fanatacism, its expectation, its culture, its psychoticism, its opportunism, its just more then anger.

So the current breed of terrorists are different because they are more fanatical?

Culture? Whose culture?
  • Options
    yes they are. Fanatacism is dangerous.

There culture, that whtye were brought up with, the preachers who they listen to, its ll influence.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Hmmm...there were certainly plans for an oil pipeline through Afghanistan. Not sure if it ever got built.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/1984459.stm (from 2002)
    Ah, so there may well have been a link between Afghanistan and oil. That would definitely explain a few things...
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    yes they are. Fanatacism is dangerous.

There culture, that whtye were brought up with, the preachers who they listen to, its ll influence.

More fanatical than the IRA bombers who bombed pubs at random?

More fanatical than the Shinning Path or FARC or ETA?

Rubbish.
  • Options
    IRA didn't bomb random pubs. Random executions yes, randoming bombings no.

I never said they weren't fanatcial did I?

Although compare the tactics of all these groups and see which uses suicide bombers more and then you would see who is more fnatacial.

And it goes on the beliefs as well. A simple group who aim to get rid of a government in thir specific country is not as fantaical as a group who wnats to kill people based on relgion and impose a fundamentalisyt regime etc etc
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    IRA didn't bomb random pubs. Random executions yes, randoming bombings no.

I never said they weren't fanatcial did I?

Although compare the tactics of all these groups and see which uses suicide bombers more and then you would see who is more fnatacial.

And it goes on the beliefs as well. A simple group who aim to get rid of a government in thir specific country is not as fantaical as a group who wnats to kill people based on relgion and impose a fundamentalisyt regime etc etc

Check the history of the IRA in the 70's, they did indeed bomb pubs at random both in NI and in London.

So its purely the suicide bombing bit, that makes them really different, that makes them much more dangerous than anything before?

Why? What actual difference does it make?

I'd say a bomber who plants multipul bombs is more dangerous than a single use bomber.
  • Options
    I wasn't aware they were random, I always thought it was about location, meaning and so forth,

Yes. Coz they aren't afraid to die and worse if they are and they do this, they thin k they get areward in the afterlife. i don't reckon any other terrorist group holds that belief.

It meas they are wider, more dangerous. They can't be bought and they always go for the kill.

Leats not all the IRA bombings were fatal. They often warned ahead of time. Unlike the islamic groups.

going for the kill makes them more dangerous.

And thre is an estimated 1,3 billion of them as well.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

I think you might be mistaking Muslims a largely peaceful are relatively normal religious group with terrorists there.

Even the most crazed Neo-Cons wouldnt suggest there are 1.3 billion terrorists in the world.

Dont believe the hype, this current breed are no different than the ones before them, have a read of some history about Shinning Path for example and you'll know that brutality hasnt been invented by Bin Laden and his mates.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I wasn't aware they were random, I always thought it was about location, meaning and so forth,

Yes. Coz they aren't afraid to die and worse if they are and they do this, they thin k they get areward in the afterlife. i don't reckon any other terrorist group holds that belief.

It meas they are wider, more dangerous. They can't be bought and they always go for the kill.

Leats not all the IRA bombings were fatal. They often warned ahead of time. Unlike the islamic groups.

going for the kill makes them more dangerous.

Funny then, that suicide bombings were perfected by the Tamil Tigers and have been used by FARC, two nationalist guerrilla movements.

No terrorists warn ahead of time, only guerrillas do that if they attack civilian targets. The Anarchist groups that proliferated in the 1880s in Europe never gave out warnings because the idea was to sow terror in the leadership.
  • Options
    I knwo that Osama etc didn' invent brutality and I kn ow other groups have used suicide bombings and so on and so on.

I do belive that figure is high, its more like the number of Islamic fundamentalists then actual terrorists.

Well the IRA did give warnings is all I said.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I do belive that figure is high, its more like the number of Islamic fundamentalists then actual terrorists.

So all Muslims are Islamic Fundamentalists?
  • Options
    No.

I was quoting a guy in the state department I think? Umm ex CIA Maybe? I can't remember but he was a dude on the inside of the CIA and US government. It was on that programme about CIA fuck ups if I remember rightly.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    No.

I was quoting a guy in the state department I think? Umm ex CIA Maybe? I can't remember but he was a dude on the inside of the CIA and US government. It was on that programme about CIA fuck ups if I remember rightly.

Are you really sure you mean 1.3 billion? That is, as far as I know virtually all Muslims in the World, to suggest they are all dangerous fanatics is either a gross over estimation or a mistake.

But thats not really the point, you have failled to show how the current round of terrorists are any different from the ones we've had for years.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Great, now we have a stronger Taliban and more opium than the Worlds ever seen, thats a great success.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...

trall060327.gif