Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Aint it great we invaded afghanistan

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    That's judaism, which I'll admit is a seems like a poor arguement, but still an important distinction.

Its a similar argument though, there are bits in the Bible that the varst majority of Christians dont think is relevant anymore and now ignore, which is what most Muslims do too, but both books have passages in them which you could use to justify horrid actions.
  • Options
    if your going to pik'n'mix religion why bother at all? :confused:
  • Options
    I wouldn't call any of the bible irrelevant. But I would say that much of leviticus and deuterononmy, at least those laws that then call for punishment have been superceeded. In that, it would still be wrong against God to break the laws of deuteronomy and leviticus (and also numbers and possibly exodus and genesis), but that the punishment has already be dealt out against Christ through the cross.

It says in a number of places in the New Testament something to the effect of Romans 12:19-20 (NIV) 'Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to aveng; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary: 'If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.' "
  • Options
    The Bible eh????

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

carry on.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I wouldn't call any of the bible irrelevant. But I would say that much of leviticus and deuterononmy, at least those laws that then call for punishment have been superceeded. In that, it would still be wrong against God to break the laws of deuteronomy and leviticus (and also numbers and possibly exodus and genesis), but that the punishment has already be dealt out against Christ through the cross.

It says in a number of places in the New Testament something to the effect of Romans 12:19-20 (NIV) 'Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to aveng; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary: 'If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.' "

Which is what I was saying earlier, the Koran is (in its teachings) quite like the Old Testiment, but unlike the Bible which has been mellowed by the influence of the New Testiment the Koran hasnt.
  • Options
    Indeed, though I think I'd choose another word than mellowed.
  • Options
    I'm sure a lot of mainstream Christians disregard the wackier bits of the Old Testament, but there's also plenty of nutjob preachers out there who believe every word of the Bible is the literal word of God and should be obeyed.

If Alabama or somewhere else where fundamentalist Christianity was big was to suffer a total breakdown in civil society similar to what's happened in Afghanistan over the last quarter century, then I think it's likely that the nutjob preachers would pick up a lot more followers, just like the Taliban did.
  • Options
    Hmm

It's not so much the individual exhortations of thew differing religions, it's more that you have to be barking fucking mad to even consider it as true in any way shape or form.

Like a certain other belief I despise, it requires you to see things that aren't there, hear things when there is no sound, imagine a great big beard in the sky watching your every move etc etc.

In short, it's the installation of schizophrenia. People who see things that aren't there don't make the best decisions....
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Like a certain other belief I despise, it requires you to see things that aren't there, hear things when there is no sound, imagine a great big beard in the sky watching your every move etc etc.

Santa Claus?
  • Options
    That's the fellah.

Someone once claimed to me that getting your kids to believe in the big beardy guy was a form of child abuse. :chin:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yeah, that worked in Russia. Where life expectancy has fallen since the collapse of the old regime.
    And where a fuck-ton of people WANT the old regeime back: Contary to what the west would have you beleive, alot of them old people who lived through it.

War Veterans and so forth... they'd know if anyone knows.
    http://www.mosnews.com/images/p/8276.shtml
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Rubbish, the religion is an excuse, if it wasnt that it would be something else.

Ridiculous, so every terror attack done in the name of Islam would have been commited by the same people if they were atheists?
  • Options
    Fiend85 is on record as believing that the Bible is the literal word of God and its all true.
  • Options
    Invading Afghanistan was an odd decision. Why did they actually start it? To remove the Taliban or to catch Osama Bin Laden? It's certainly not about oil. And the Taliban are still re-grouping whilst nobody knows where Osama is filming his latest home videos preaching "death to the infidels".
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Fiend85 is on record as believing that the Bible is the literal word of God and its all true.

Fiend is a nutter :yes:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Fiend is a nutter :yes:
    So I wasn't alone in thinking that?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    religion is a tool of control

Well... I want to say "duh" :p.

Fiend is actually on record for saying that? Meep.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Invading Afghanistan was an odd decision. Why did they actually start it? To remove the Taliban or to catch Osama Bin Laden? It's certainly not about oil. And the Taliban are still re-grouping whilst nobody knows where Osama is filming his latest home videos preaching "death to the infidels".

Hmmm...there were certainly plans for an oil pipeline through Afghanistan. Not sure if it ever got built.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/1984459.stm (from 2002)
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    We shold have gone into Iraq with money, as in a McDonalds in every town, computers, access to the net, lots of DVD players and movies from america! Lots and lots lots of western creature comforts. completely over load the countries with western stuff, music and everything and blind them with what looks goood, then there wouldnt be as many West haters.
    i hate to have to tell you this but ...do you have any idea how modern and secular baghdad was before we destroyed it?
  • Options
    Literalist belief in the bible is so flawed its unreal. Literalists bring out the worst in humanity just be their beliefs. Shocking.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Ridiculous, so every terror attack done in the name of Islam would have been commited by the same people if they were atheists?

Why do you think some Muslims become bombers, is it some flaw in Islam or is it perhaps because they are angry young men who want a cause to belive in?

Is it really any different from the angry young men bombers from the IRA or ETA?

No, of course it isnt, the religion isnt a reason its an excuse. If religion was the problem all Muslims would be bombers which they obviously arent.
  • Options
    But neither is that the truth Bong.

To sya they are angry young men who wnat something belive in, like thery are some poor misguided sould who lost there way but are good people underneath is wrong.

Its not like IRA at all.

They are fanatical, and the key to that fanaticism is their relgion. To underestimate is in invite death.

Such a litereal inetrpretation and devotion to that religion leads them to become these suicide bombers and terrorists.

Except for the top levels o fthe terrorist organisations, they are a bit more then just follwers obvioulsy, but even then its relgiion that plays the part.

Osama is not some freedom fighter against the big bully Americans. he is a religious zealot and his attacks, is based on fighting the Christians and Jews. He said so. Its holy war to him. Religion plays its part.
  • Options
    Why isnt it like the IRA of the 70's? What exactly is the difference?

They are terrorists, plain and simple, they want to use death and terror to get their wants. Thats exactly the same as virtually every other terrorist group there has ever been.

Their methods are a little different, and they rap it up in lots of important sounding religion but its the same thing - you dont believe what I believe I must bully or kill you into submission.
  • Options
    True but the organistaion sare totaly differne,t numbers to I suspect.

Also while the IRA did have bombing campagins, they never used suicide bombers and often gave warnings so people could be evactuated before hand. It was more on a destrcution of propertry and the establishment.

They had a clear political aim and political ties. While Al-Quida are more focused on the death and desruction side then having clear aims.

The IRA's was on some level, an obtrainable gaol. It wasn't impossible they could get what they want, but Al-Quida's is impossible.

Different methods asw ell.

A totally different animal.

thtas why the intellgences services have problems finding info and such as they geared to IRA and Cold war etchniques then this new breed of terror.
  • Options
    They didnt give warnings a lot of the time in the 70's, and then their aims were just as un-imaginable as al-Queda's are today.

Just because they seem to have killed more people doesnt make them any different really, its the same methods to similar ends.

We disagree so I'm going to bomb/kill you till we both agree with my point of view.

Look at FARC in Colombia or Shinning Path or ETA or..... the list goes on, all the same.
  • Options
    Would the IRA have continued if the British had left NI??

My point is, you can't say these are poor angry young men, innocents who have lost the path liek they are some bad school boy or give excuses for their behaviour.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Would the IRA have continued if the British had left NI??

My point is, you can't say these are poor angry young men, innocents who have lost the path liek they are some bad school boy or give excuses for their behaviour.

Maybe, who know's, they certainly had a nasty grudge against us, but thats not really the point, the aims are secondary to the methods.

I made no judgement on them at all, I dont see how you can say they are anything other than angry young men, thats what they are.
  • Options
    I'd wager they are fanatics and etrrorists and a danger to society and people in gerneral, rather then "angry young men".
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I'd wager they are fanatics and etrrorists and a danger to society and people in gerneral, rather then "angry young men".

Look at the profile of virtually all people who get involved in terrorism, they are early to mid-20's out of work angry men. Quite often virgins who are bad with women.

Oh and the organisers are largely engineering graduates.

What part of 'angry young men' do you disagree with and why?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    They are terrorists, plain and simple, they want to use death and terror to get their wants. Thats exactly the same as virtually every other terrorist group there has ever been.

At the risk of sounding like klintock - that's the same as every government there has ever been too.