Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hmmm what do i do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok well i've been seeing someone for about 3 months now. She had come out of a long relationship with someone so we decided to take things slow and just get to know each other. We have grown to really like each other over the past few months, shes basically been my first girlfriend as such and she means everything to me, shes made me so happy and made me feel something i've never felt for someone before.

Well shes always kinda said she doesnt any real commitments as yet as she had just split from a long term relationship but just this week she told me that she was starting to feel like she wants to be with me long term. Blew me away, was so happy that someone felt that way about me. But then things started going quiet. Just assumed she was busy and tired from work. Saw her a couple of times and things seemed as they were before. Just alot of affection etc. I asked her if everything was ok as she had been pretty quiet.

She said she doesnt know what she feels and she doesnt want a relationship and that she needs time. I told her everything about how i feel about her and that i will give her all the time she needs. She says she wants me, she wants to be happy but she just doesnt know what she wants and shes tired of hurting people.

So really im just a little confused and don't know how to approach things. Do i just give her time and space to think things over? Or should i just be prepared to let her go? I really want to be with her and make her happy but i can't do that if she doesnt want the same.

Comments

• Options
    she sounds very confused herself, and she must've been hurt in the past. id be there for her if SHE wants you there, give her her space until she comes to you. She obviously really cares for you, otherwise she wouldn't be so worried bout hurting you. sounds like she's being honest with you, but maybe realise she may want to end the reltionship.
  • Options
    It doesn't sound like she does want the same, tbh. Probably better to move on.
    GoodFella wrote:
    So really im just a little confused and don't know how to approach things. Do i just give her time and space to think things over? Or should i just be prepared to let her go? I really want to be with her and make her happy but i can't do that if she doesnt want the same.
  • Options
    Ok well just been speaking with her. For the moment she just wants to take a step back and be friends because she doesnt feel ready for anything further yet. Which is understandable

So think the best bet is to just give her space for now.
  • Options
    yeah, good plan. i know it may hurt at the moment, but at least this way you get to keep her as a friend and be a shoulder to cry on!
  • Options
    Ahhh its just odd, i dont understand. Confusing me a little. Everything was rosey a week ago and now everythings just stopped. She even said she wants me but can't and i dunno why.
  • Options
    maybe she isnt ready for a relationship?? so although she wants you, she's being sensible and thinking that in the present situation,it isnt advisable!
  • Options
    think you ought to assume that you're going to stay friends - give her a bit of space. she sounds very mixed up! it's good she's being honest but then she did tell you she wanted to be with you - so she obviously wanted that at some point just doesn't know what she wants right now.
  • Options
    I would give her as much space as possible and let her come to you. Sounds like a very similar situation i've just come out of and I blew it because I probably tried that bit too hard.

Remember, people always want what they can't have so make her chase! I mean this in a nice way though! :)
  • Options
    Well i've told her that i will give her all the space she needs. We'll see what happens, the fact that it was only yesterday that she said she wants me gives me some hope i guess that something may happen. But i suppose waiting on hope is a stupid thing to do.

I'll let her come to me when shes ready but whatever happens we'll be friends.
  • Options
    Thanks guys :)

Well yeah i think she is very confused at the moment.

To the question was she hurt in her past relationship? Well i think shes more scared of hurting people as she was the one who ended her last relationship and she feels really bad for hurting the guy. I think thats probably more of the reason why she doesn't want to commit because she is scared of hurting me. Which she hasn't though, shes made me happy.

I miss her already but as has been said already i will just give her space for a few weeks and see what happens.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    I miss her already but as has been said already i will just give her space for a few weeks and see what happens.

Really sympathise with you mate - can feel your pain, but this is the right thing to do. If she doesn't come back to you, then you can move on with alot less pain than if you spent the next month chasing her and trying to convince her and if she does work it out and decides she wants to be with you - then great.... :)
  • Options
    awww goodfella you seem so understanding and lovely and mature :)
  • Options
    Man im going crazy here. Todays been like the first full day for months where i've not heard from her. Tempted to just text her or something but i know i shouldnt. Boooo
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Man im going crazy here. Todays been like the first full day for months where i've not heard from her. Tempted to just text her or something but i know i shouldnt. Boooo

I know man, i've been in a similar situation and it's against all natural instincts to keep quite and keep away cus you just wanna be there for 'em, but sometimes natural instincts make things worse.....
  • Options
    Well shes been texting me today. Not much has been said though about it. Just seems as it was before a few months back, when we hadnt started properly seeing each other, when we texted each other non stop.
  • Options
    Hmmm i dunno about that. I know there was something there, i felt it and just by the way we were with each other i know there was something. Maybe i will be wrong but it will be worth the wait if im not.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Ok well i've been seeing someone for about 3 months now. She had come out of a long relationship with someone so we decided to take things slow and just get to know each other. We have grown to really like each other over the past few months, shes basically been my first girlfriend as such and she means everything to me, shes made me so happy and made me feel something i've never felt for someone before.

Well shes always kinda said she doesnt any real commitments as yet as she had just split from a long term relationship but just this week she told me that she was starting to feel like she wants to be with me long term. Blew me away, was so happy that someone felt that way about me. But then things started going quiet. Just assumed she was busy and tired from work. Saw her a couple of times and things seemed as they were before. Just alot of affection etc. I asked her if everything was ok as she had been pretty quiet.

She said she doesnt know what she feels and she doesnt want a relationship and that she needs time. I told her everything about how i feel about her and that i will give her all the time she needs. She says she wants me, she wants to be happy but she just doesnt know what she wants and shes tired of hurting people.

she just sounds confused, my ex is having the same problem at the moment, best thing to do is give her time and space and don't rush her.
  • Options
    I've been trying to do that. She's been texting recently, nothing to much extent just seeing what im doing etc but she has said she wants to se me again soon. Dunno in what light though.

Shes been very quiet though of late, suppose thats just her way but shes the kind of person who doesnt really like to say what shes feeling that openly so its really hard to know if shes being quiet because shes busy with work, tired or upset. So then its hard, i wanna keep asking if shes ok but like everyones being saying i need to leave her alone for abit.
  • Options
    Well im gonna see her on Sunday now which i guess is some sort of result. Just to talk to her and stuff. Least i have a day and abit to think about it now.
  • Options
    Hey, I'm was in the same position as you are, kinda. I met this guy and I really liked him and we connected and it was really fun for a few weeks and then I realized that if I didn't date him I might just be a fun friendly hook up. So we started dating casually because he'd just gotten out of a bad relationship. I've had a few of those and it took me 7 monthes to really recover from my last one. So I wasn't sure if I wanted to get involved with him. Anyway, we dated and I just gave him a lot of space and I guess played hard to get and now we're in a relationship and everything is fine. I hate telling someone to play hard to get, but it's def. a good idea as long as you don't lie to them or be mean. This girl sounds like she's very confused and I know you guys really like each other but be careful about being there for her to much, and don't let her yank your chain. You need to just play it cool until she asks you to be there for her. It's totally true, people want what they can't have. good luck, be careful when you talk to her tomorrow.
  • Options
    Good luck when you see her.

Just be yourself, she likes you for you. You went into this knowing that she had issues with getting over her ex and stuff. I guess it must hurt, but just take a backseat for a while, but make sure she knows full well that you are there for her. You haven't done anything wrong, she just needs time to get her head together.

Hope you are ok :) x
  • Options
    She sounds terrified of being hurt again, mate.

That's all it is, I think. It's a big hurdle to get across, at least so soon.

Just take things slowly. It's a natural reaction to go "oh shit" when things seem serious, especially if you're still tender from before.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Just take things slowly. It's a natural reaction to go "oh shit" when things seem serious, especially if you're still tender from before.

You know what, i think thats exactly what has happened here. We were getting to stage in seeing each other where it would be hard to go back from and thats how she saw it so she didnt know what to do.

Seen her and bless her she's really confused. She doesnt know what she wants, she doesnt like the fact that shes basically said that shes falling for me but has stopped seeing me. Had a nice chat though. Was a first for me really, to speak to someone so openly about how i feel but i felt better after. Just told her what i've been feeling and thinking and so did she.

She was crying a little :( she said she wasnt upset so i dunno .. hope i didnt cause her too as that would be the last thing i would wanna do. But we had a nice hug and everything felt good again.

But we'll see :)
  • Options
    Hope everything turns out good for you 'cause you deserve it, you really sound like a lovely and decent lad!
  • Options
    Sorry to keep rambling on about this, guess this is the only place i can get some sort of release before i go crazy.

Well i suppose she now has the break from all this she might need. She has alot of work to do over the next couple of weeks so i've just told her to concentrate on that for now. I mean if i had the option of knowing hows shes feeling now or in a couple of weeks i would say now of course but thats not how it works so i guess ive just got to put up with it.

But i dunno, i just have this feeling and i don't know why that she doesn't want anything more than being friends, of course thats not a bad thing but its just the growing problem that now i have these feelings for her and they arent gonna disappear in the near future.

I've pretty much told her everything now of how i feel, she wanted me to say so she could think it all through. But when it comes to her she can never get her feelings out and just ends up saying "i really don't know what to say".

I dunno if im looking into everything she says way too much but maybe one of her texts had a littel i dunno. I basically said that i've meant everything that i have said and she replied that " i know you mean everything, its just feeling that way about someone does wear off. Maybe in a couple of weeks you will have seen sense and realised im not worth it."

I mean is there some hint of hows shes feeling there or what i dunno. Maybe im just looking into it too much. Or maybe as Hannah (Mystifymysoul) was saying on Msn that shes just insecure at the moment and needs reassurance. I really don't know and its confusing the hell out of me.

I don't think playing this hard to get games really gonna work with her. She already talks negatively about herself and i don't think leaving her alone will help.
  • Options
    Back away! Leave her alone, she'll come to you when she's ready
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    "Maybe in a couple of weeks you will have seen sense and realised im not worth it."

See, when i've had a girl use this sort of line on me in the past, it's normally been an excuse or a cover up for "i don't wanna be with you", so it makes it seem like it's her fault instead of yours. But i think that this is different and what this girl really does have this inferiority complex, thinking she's not worth it. I really don't know what to say to you mate. If it was me, i'd probably go back on the giving her space thing, and start to fight for her, trying to convince her she definately is worth it otherwise i wouldn't feel this way for her. But then again, i hardly ever get these things right! Gees, can someone please give this guy some good advice?!
  • Options
    No thanks mate, its good to hear peoples views on it. Its not bad advice!

It could really be either of those. She has always talked herself down saying shes a "horrible person" because she hurts people. I've told her she hasnt hurt me but its hard to get right through to her. She finds it hard to take compliments as well. So i dunno!
  • Options
    i'm not sure if she's interested in you anymore. sounds like a load of lines to me.
  • Options
    I think im gradually coming to realise that, sadly. Still i won't give it up until i actually hear it.