Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Peeing a lot

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
In the last few months I've been peeing much more often than usual, about once every couple of hours or so. I didn't think about it much, thinking it was just the winter (I remember reading somewhere that when you're cold you do it more often, but I don't remember why) but it's been pretty warm in the last few days and I'm still the same way. Should I be worried about it?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are you drinking more? I know it sounds obvious but you dont always realise. Is it more often at night?
    Try your GP or NHS direct, it could be a number of things
  • Options
    Maybe I am drinking more, not sure. Do you think it could be important enough to ask a doctor? No GPs and stuff here.
  • Options
    I would leave it and not see a doctor.... providing you feel well otherwise and its not painful when you pee, or something like that. Although if it bothers you get it checked out to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    It is a symptom of diabetes, might as well get it checked. what harm can it do?
  • Options
    Can you just get diabetes at some point? I thought either you had it from birth or not.
    And the "harm" is that I'd have to pay for a test, although little.
  • Options
    It could be a urinary tract infection, though if you have no other symptoms and it isn't affecting your health then I wouldn't worry about it, to be honest. We all have variations in how often we go to the toilet, from time to time. Out of interest (that sounds strange, I know) do you just need to urinate more often or is it that you need to go urgently? That's another sign of a UT infection, as is an increased need to urinate at night...which is why I think Char_Baby may have asked that particular question.

If you, at any point, start to feel feverish or suffer pressure in your abdomen, burning when you urinate, see blood in urine etc then you should seek professional diagnosis.

But to be honest, I'd recommend cutting down on caffeine (if you drink it) and just monitoring your toilet habits for the next couple of days. Maybe drink little and often. If it still seems abnormal to you then it may be worth seeing a doctor, there's always a slim chance of diabetes which you want to catch as early as possible! But really, I mean it could even be stress related. Worrying about how much you're peeing may be making you pee more...it's definitely possible. Stress can be the cause of almost anything. ;)

Feel better. :)
  • Options
    Hm, speaking of other symptoms... Lately I've been clearing my throat a bit often, feels like I have phlegm there. Could that be connected?
    Other than that, I'm healthy as a horse... an old horse I guess, but still a horse. :p

ETA: Forgot to answer that, it doesn't feel any more urgent than what is normal, I just feel like it more often.
  • Options
    I think excess phlegm can be very tenuously linked to kidney problems, but it's honestly highly unlikely that there's any connection between the two things.

If you generally feel healthy then just give it a few days, see if your "routine" gets back to normal. I'm sure you'll be fine, though I can appreciate it'd be annoying needing to make regular toilet trips.

You could always try Kegel Exercises, I hunted down some especially for men!
  • Options
    Thanks... I think I'll just wait until winter's gone for good and see if that fixes it.
    I wish I could remember with certainty if that's what happens every year... :chin:
  • Options
    Just adding my 2p. We tend to pee more in winter because our bodies don't release as much water through perspiration etc as we would in summer time. This means our bodies must get rid of it another way. I know you'll still go to your doc just to make sure you're all grand, but hopefully it's nothing :thumb:
  • Options
    scytherchick is right about not losing more water through urine during winter.

Excessive urine is indicative of diabetes insipidus (water diabetes) where the hormone ADH is inhibited, so less water is reabsorbed by your kidneys. However this is not the only symptom, so it's definetely worth gettin checked out. How much sugar do you eat? has anyone else in your family got diabetes?
  • Options
    I would right off say a UTI, as briggi did, especially since you said you've gone about once an hour (ouch!). BUt I'm partial to that answer :p Though how you managed to last a couple months leads me to believe that either you have a great immune system and its gdoing a grand job of fighting it, or its not that. Either way, Doctors and peeing in a cup can be fun ;) might as well go. Fell better.
  • Options
    or better yet, get a friend who works in a lab to check it for free!
  • Options
    I need the toilet every half an hour or so, is that a problem? I didn't think it was...
  • Options
    just out of interest how much water do you drink? if it's been like that for as long as you can remember it's probably fine, you might have a smaller bladder than most people
  • Options
    How many tmes a day do you go on average...and approx how much....cos doctors class 7 times plus a day as above average. Obviously if you go 7 times and only a little bit at a time it is better than a lot of wee 7 times a day :chin:
  • Options
    Well, it seems I do drink more water lately, but that's because I get thirsty more lately. So maybe what I ought to ask is: Why do I get more thirsty now that it's winter than I did before?

Still on the original subject, I think it's about once every two hours, or three on average. No family history of diabetes or any other chronic illness I'm aware of, except heart problems.
  • Options
    Are you eating more sugary things than usual as well?
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Can you just get diabetes at some point? I thought either you had it from birth or not.
    Yes you can just get it... it is when the pancreas stops working properly and it can pack up whenever it feels like. Old people often "turn" diabetic as well as adolescents etc.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Yes you can just get it... it is when the pancreas stops working properly and it can pack up whenever it feels like. Old people often "turn" diabetic as well as adolescents etc.

You can suddenly become diabetic at any point in your life. The reasons are not fully understood as to why it happens to some people. For many nowadays it is a result of obseity, however for some people it can happen after a simple viral illness :yes:
  • Options
    Are you eating more sugary things than usual as well?
    I can't say I do... I might even be eating less of them.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    And the "harm" is that I'd have to pay for a test, although little.
    yes i was diagnosed at 9. increase in urination is a sign as well as increased thirst and can be accompanied by tiredness weight loss repeated infections, thrush, blurred vision, mouth ulcers.
    it may not be diabetes but its best to get it checked to be on the safe side. its a simple test
  • Options
    Well even if I only have two of those, you managed to scare me... What I have to do now is find a pathologist.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Well even if I only have two of those, you managed to scare me... What I have to do now is find a pathologist.

shit sorry i didnt mean to scare you. its probably not diabetes but its just important to get tested and find out as if it is diabetes and im not saying it is it is best to find out and get treatment as soon as possible. sorry i just said all that before as i know how important it is to find out.
    my apologies my intention wasnt to scare you at all. sorry :blush:
  • Options
    Heh, I know you didn't mean to scare me! No need to say sorry! :D
    I'm just kind of a hypochondriac, you see. Though it was mainly about psychological things until now.
  • Options
    as others have said its likely a urine infection. you tend to get rapid weight loss with diabetes as well as thirst and peeing alot. if you are worried just go to the docs its the only way your going to find out whats going on. im sure it will be something simple.
  • Options
    I hope. It might even be nothing at all; for all I know I get like this every year because of the cold, and I've just forgotten. That sucks. :blush:
    Thanks, though. I'll find a pathologist.
  • Options
    Is it weird that I"m curious of the outcome.
  • Options
    Going to the toilet more than usual can be caused by a lot of innocent things, like caffeine, alcohol or just drinking more than usual.

Diabetes has been suggested, and with that you would expect to be thirsty all the time and getting up to pass water at night too. You can buy urine dipstix from a chemist to check your urine for glucose. Ask a pharmacist or see a doctor.

UTIs are unusual in young men.

And it's probably not advisable to do the Kegel pelvic floor exercises without being specifically advised to do so because the back pressure of the urine stream can cause irritation and infection in the prostate gland, and by tensing the external sphincter you will potentially interfere with the function of the bladder.
    briggi wrote:
    I think excess phlegm can be very tenuously linked to kidney problems.
    :confused:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    :confused:

Chinese medicine. :p