Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

what method of contraception do you use?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
just curious like, as to what folks use and recommend.

just came off the pill after 3 years, considering the coil or the implant.

i hate condoms.

Comments

• Options
    lol.

And the campaigns aim their ads at blokes all the time about wearing condoms. Its the woment hat don't want them. I have heard quite a few girls like yourself say they hate condoms.

as I bloke I use condoms, though not always....
  • Options
    i just think they are unreliable as a method of contraception, had a few shit experiences with them.
  • Options
    Currently condoms but im going onto the pill in the very near future so once im settled on one that isnt completely screwing my periods over we will probably stop using condoms.
  • Options
    damn. really?

Yeah, I have found they slide sometimes,

Most girls complain they don't feel the same as riding bareback.

Coil is tricky to imput I thought and the implant affects fertility,

easier then putting a johnny on everytime though.
  • Options
    I have an IUS. Love it. The fitting was very uncomfortable for a few seconds, and I had cramping during the day after it was put in, but it's a small price to pay for 5 years of protection.
  • Options
    I'm on the pill now so me and my boyfriend just rely on that.

Before that i had some bad experiences with condoms splitting etc. plus i really just don't like them, so we don't use those anymore.
  • Options
    I take the pill and in 3 years i think i've only ever forgot one twice and one of those times was when i was ill, so not bad going really.
  • Options
    Just take the pill, don't like condoms are we have both been tested and we are fine and have been together for 3 years.
  • Options
    Contraceptive PATCH!

Patch all the way, love. My boobs got a bit sore, and I've lost weight. Canny knock it. :)
  • Options
    The memory of the pain of childbirth.

And the pill ;)
  • Options
    The memory of the pain of childbirth.

:lol:

You really do scare me when you say things like that though!
  • Options
    none
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    I'm looking into it, as I have IBS, don't know if the pill will be effective for me, but don't know if I'd prefer patch or injection.

I found that one or two of them really made mine worse but i think it's just a case of trial and error to be fair. Whatever you take might affect your IBS or might not.

At the moment i just use condoms as due to start a new pill soon but it's a right faff around and they're just unreliable as like paperdoll had a few accidents happen and it's not fun.
  • Options
    none

risky.

are you catholic or married or both can I ask??
  • Options
    well technically im still married, but not for long. Divorce should be finalised soon :yes:
    I dont have a religion :)
  • Options
    The dodgy microwave in my kitchen. Infertility ahoy!
  • Options
    depends.

i'm on the pill and if it's with a boyfriend who i trust etc then no other form of contraception but if it's someone else then a condom, too.
  • Options
    Awww Im sorry rainbrow brite, hope I didn't upset you?

cool.
  • Options
    lol no. im not using contraception cos I wouldnt mind if I got pregnant.
    If I was trying to avoid pregnancy then of course Id use something.
    I used to have an IUS which was brilliant, but I had it taken out a few months ago.
  • Options
    wow.

cool. Good luck with it all and I hope things go well for you :)
  • Options
  • Options
    Was on the 3 month shot for 4 years. But the bits and pieces about the possiblity of related bone density loss I figured I'm frail enough as it is and dont want to take any chances. Then I went on your average ol pill, gave me mood swings that give any nutjob a run for their money. So I went to the pill that gradually increases its dose, and that has worked grand, minus the fact that the whole, skipping that 7 day break thing doesn't work at all. Tried it twice and the period came anyways, just as scheduled. We use condoms also. To save on the mess and we don't take any chances. I'm not going to be of the 2% who get pregnant.
  • Options
    Condom - but have had a few bad experiances with them, generally dont like them would be so much easier without. Im thinkin about the injection - does anyone know how much this costs - or is it free because i am 16?

I would never remember to take the pill!
  • Options
    jenni3089 wrote:

I would never remember to take the pill!

I thought that too but it actually turned out to my advantage. I take a bunch of pills every day and never remember to take those, then once I started to take the oc, I remembered every pill every day :p

I liked the shot though, got the shot, when I was there we made an appt for the next one so the only thing you had to remember was show up at the docs at your time :p I'd say look into it.
  • Options
    The lass has the Mirena coil fitted.

Condoms are not a good idea to use as your sole means of contraception unless you're not too fussed about having babies.
  • Options
    The pill (marvelon).

I used to use condoms and whilst I didn't have a problem with reliability of condoms or with them splitting I much prefer sex without a condom. My boyfriend isn't that fussed either way but I really prefer it bareback.

It's a bit of a myth that it's the guys that dislike them I think. But obviously they do serve a purpose in terms of STI protection.
  • Options
    i am not keen on them either, but ive noticed i get a whole body kind of hormone rush after having unprotected sex, which i dont get from protected sex or if ejaculation happens outside of the usual place.
    Maybe im unusual or maybe its psychosomatic, who knows, all I know is thats what i get :yes:
  • Options
    A question on the IUD/IUS-I've seen/heard bits about needing to have had children or be pregnant to have one fitted or something due to cervix size-is this right? I'm on the pill at the moment, have been for 3 years or so, but I'm not planning on having children for at least 5 years so was considering more long-term options.
  • Options
  • Options