Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

what method of contraception do you use?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    Been on the pill for a year - fed up with it. I forgot it for the first time last month and now I'm in a right mess. It's just a pain to have to remember, so I'm getting the jab on the 18th/19th.
    Will start using condoms a lot more frequently aswell, I think. Not worried about STIs, I'm in a long term relationship, but I'm too young to be taking that 2% chance, really.
  • Options
    Condoms.

Hate them though... when you're in the mood its so annoying to go to the trouble of getting him to put one on... although its safe of course.

Thinking of going on the pill, I just dont wanna put on weight from it- which Ive heard happens to some girls. :no:
  • Options
    don't need it :(
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote:
    don't need it :(
    Why the sad face?
  • Options
    i have the implant which lasts for three years. have had it in a year and a half now with no periods :D tis great!
  • Options
    Welsh Jemz wrote:
    i have the implant which lasts for three years. have had it in a year and a half now with no periods :D tis great!

Oh jelousy. I wanted to try that, but my insurance doesn't cover it so it would cost me an arm and a leg.
    I got screwed over on the shot though, alot of people don't get their period when they are on it, I did :( Every month :(
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    It's a bit of a myth that it's the guys that dislike them I think.

Nah, it's not. I hate condoms, but I don't hate them as much as syphilis or AIDS.
    ve noticed i get a whole body kind of hormone rush after having unprotected sex

Yeah, there's a rush of hormones from the semen which can make women feel more content and relaxed after sex. It's a proven scientific fact.

I think it's so they lie still and conceive, rather than move around and let it all dribble out...
  • Options
    er, currently abstinance :( usually condoms and rhythm, don't do hormones. been thinking about a coil but the thought still freaks me out.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Why the sad face?
    Prob coz he isnt getting any to have to use anything.

Dont use anything btw.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Nah, it's not. I hate condoms, but I don't hate them as much as syphilis or AIDS.
    I think I meant to write "just the guys" not just guys :blush:
  • Options
    I've just had the implant put in. Like go_away I was on the injection for about 4 years and because of the bone mineral thing, and also because it takes ages (6-9 months) for your fertility to return when you come off it, therefore not the most ideal long-term method of contraception for me, I came off it and went straight on to the implant.

I've only had it in about a month, so I can't really comment on any hormonal changes I've noticed. What I can tell you is that the 'operation' is a lot less painful than I thought it would be, and for the next 3 years it seems that I won't have any visible scarring (until possibly they take it out, but even that's not definite).

Obviously my hormone cycle would not have returned to normal for a good few months anyway, but on the implant 20% of women have no periods, 40% have regular periods, and 40% get irregular periods (some of these will have periods once every few months, others will have them more than once a month - if this is something that's difficult to deal with they can remove the implant and you can try another method). In fact, they can remove the implant at any time if you have problems, or if you decide that you want to get pregnant.

As to the IUS, I think it's a pretty good method of contraception. Pretty new, therefore one of the better ones. If you can get that on your insurance then I'd go for it :)
  • Options
    Sera wrote:
    I've just had the implant put in. Like go_away I was on the injection for about 4 years and because of the bone mineral thing, and also because it takes ages (6-9 months) for your fertility to return when you come off it, therefore not the most ideal long-term method of contraception for me, I came off it and went straight on to the implant.

Can you see the implant under the skin? I've heard in some cases you can.

I use solely the pill but am considering the implant.