Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Trouble meeting girls.....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, lets set the scene. I'm a guy of 21 and i've never had a serious relationship, and to be honest, i'm getting pretty sick of it. Now i'm not saying that i'm dying to find 'The One' and have kids and buy a house and live happily ever after. What i'm really just looking for is someone to share stuff with, someone to have a good time with etc and then take it from there. And believe me i'm not some sort of nerd who sits in front of his computer all day looking for the matrix or something! I consider myself decent looking, a good laugh, interesting, confident and all the rest of it. And i have been involved with alot girls before, it's just always ended prematurely with me either blowing it, or getting played (I can't stand the games!) or just incompatibility - but that's a whole other story.

Thing is, the real problem i'm having at the minute is actually meeting girls. All the old sources such as college have dried up these days. I work a 9-5 job in an office full of middle aged women, me and mates always go out to the same sort of 'local pub' places, because they all have girlfriends and no longer find the need to go out to pulling-type places and the rest of my time is spent just doing the sort of everyday stuff that we all do. So, my questions are:

1) What the hell would you do to increase your chances of meeting someone were you in my situation?
2) Since i'm well out of practice, anybody got any good icebreaking tips should i actually happen to see someone who takes my fancy in a pub or out shopping or something?
3) Any tips to tell if a girl is at all interested?

Any and all comments are appreciated, so please, if you have anything at all in mind, speak up...
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Well one of the first things i'd say is stop trying to find someone to have a relationship with. If you're happy with yourself and being single, thats an attractive quality to have, and you're likely to find someone to have a relationship when you're not interested. Aim to make lots of friends, rather than someone to hook up with. Because a guy thats only talking to you because they want a relationship isnt nice.

When it comes to meeting people, go do something, join a local club, join karate classes, join an art class, tehre must be something like that you are interested in, which will put you with people that have similar interests.

Tips on approaching girls? avoid cheesy chat up lines, be honest, be yourself, girls love that :p
  • Options
    Okay, lets set the scene. I'm a guy of 21 and i've never had a serious relationship, and to be honest, i'm getting pretty sick of it. Now i'm not saying that i'm dying to find 'The One' and have kids and buy a house and live happily ever after. What i'm really just looking for is someone to share stuff with, someone to have a good time with etc and then take it from there. And believe me i'm not some sort of nerd who sits in front of his computer all day looking for the matrix or something! I consider myself decent looking, a good laugh, interesting, confident and all the rest of it. And i have been involved with alot girls before, it's just always ended prematurely with me either blowing it, or getting played (I can't stand the games!) or just incompatibility - but that's a whole other story.

Thing is, the real problem i'm having at the minute is actually meeting girls. All the old sources such as college have dried up these days. I work a 9-5 job in an office full of middle aged women, me and mates always go out to the same sort of 'local pub' places, because they all have girlfriends and no longer find the need to go out to pulling-type places and the rest of my time is spent just doing the sort of everyday stuff that we all do. So, my questions are:

1) What the hell would you do to increase your chances of meeting someone were you in my situation?
    2) Since i'm well out of practice, anybody got any good icebreaking tips should i actually happen to see someone who takes my fancy in a pub or out shopping or something?
    3) Any tips to tell if a girl is at all interested?

Any and all comments are appreciated, so please, if you have anything at all in mind, speak up...
    Thanks!

Do you not meet girls through work/study or friends of friends? Parties?

Don't make it obvious you're looking for the 'the one' either. Play it cool.

For for tips to tell if a girl is interested...grooming is a main sign, playing with hair etc. Kicking/tapping of the foot in your direction is another.

There's also a thing called NLP - 'neuro-linguistic programming'. Basically, soppy talk. The theory is you start talking to someone you don't know, mouth off some poetic compliments and she's all yours. Bear in mind that's just the theory though :lol:
  • Options
    H-face wrote:
    Well one of the first things i'd say is stop trying to find someone to have a relationship with. If you're happy with yourself and being single, thats an attractive quality to have, and you're likely to find someone to have a relationship when you're not interested. Aim to make lots of friends, rather than someone to hook up with. Because a guy thats only talking to you because they want a relationship isnt nice.

Hmm. I guess i didn't make it totally clear that i'm not hellbent on meeting someone just for the purpose of a long term relationship. I'm just looking for someone to have a bit of fun with and then see how it goes. I know that's how it all begins. Apart from that your advice is good. Just struggling to think of anything else i could get involved in club or interest wise that i'm not already.....
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Do you not meet girls through work/study or friends of friends? Parties?

Don't make it obvious you're looking for the 'the one' either. Play it cool.

Like i say, i'm stuck in an office with old women 5 days of the week and my circle of friends is pretty much set in stone, so it just doesn't work like that for me. And i'm not neccesarily looking for the one. Just looking to have some fun and see how it goes. THe other stuff you mentioned is useful though. Thanks.....
  • Options
    For meeting girls ... mate's girlfriend's friends? Female mate's friends? (although i'm not suggesting you just start cracking on to any female who has a vague connection through friendship :p ). If not then you'll just have to start approaching randoms ... if your reasonably confident it shouldn't be too much of a problem. If your out of practice then it may take a while to get the hang of it again but its the only way really.

My advice

1) Don't approach a girl thinking your going to pull her. Its too much pressure and women can smell desperation. All your doing is talking to someone new who happens to be hot, the more you do it the more natural you can be when talking to new people and you'll make a better impression. If you do pull ... bonus. Otherwise you've met someone new, had a flirt and a laugh.
    2) Talk about your interests (not yours, hers and yours) its the easiest way to get a conversation going and gives you something in common eg love of music, films etc
    3) People like spending time with people who make them feel good.
    Whether romantically or just as mates. Just be yourself and have a laugh and girls will want to hang out with you.

Anyway I don't pretend to be a guru on the subject but the above works pretty well for me. Good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    If you're having trouble meeting women it's because you're having trouble approaching women, nothing more.

Do you never go on buses? Do you never go to the supermarket? Are you never in tutorials at college? Not all that many people meet their partners in nightclubs or at work, you meet them in all sorts of weird and wonderful places.
  • Options
    i met my ex while trampolining in the middle of a power cut
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    If not then you'll just have to start approaching randoms ... if your reasonably confident it shouldn't be too much of a problem. If your out of practice then it may take a while to get the hang of it again but its the only way really.

Yeah, i was thinking myself that this might well have to be the way to go. Thanks your other advice, good stuff.....
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If you're having trouble meeting women it's because you're having trouble approaching women, nothing more.

Do you never go on buses? Do you never go to the supermarket?

You could be right. And yes, i do have quite a bit of confidence and can talk to girls, but telling some girl in a supermarket that she has good taste in breakfast cereal or something is a whole new game! That may well be the angle to work on...
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i met my ex while trampolining in the middle of a power cut

Not something i do often, but cool story!
  • Options
    im not good with meeting people either :p
    just today i was in my CAD lecture and this guy who sat next to me kept starting up conversation and i just kept giving one word answers! i just got nervous.. he was just my type too :impissed: he probably left thinking i was a right freak :p

when i like someone i never know what to say. i act sooo much differently to when im with friends or people i know
  • Options
    Be careful how you make your approach if you choose to do that. Check this link out!

Click
    You could be right. And yes, i do have quite a bit of confidence and can talk to girls, but telling some girl in a supermarket that she has good taste in breakfast cereal or something is a whole new game! That may well be the angle to work on...
  • Options
    In my experience, the best thing to do is trying to broaden your circle of friends. Be proactive about it, approach your friends' friends, get to know them - the more people you know, the more chances you'll have to meet somebody that takes your fancy.

Another thing: get your mates to help you out a bit! Like for once they'll join you at a club or somewhere more likely you could meet new girls, even if they're coupled up, they can have a boys-only night out or something once in a while I expect. Or they can even take their girlfriends too if they want, but the thing is to change the scenery a bit to your advantage now and then?

And thirdly - you probably don't do this since you sound like a pretty decent fella, but as someone mentioned before: when you do meet a girl, and you're chatting, please, please ask her about herself! I find it so off-putting when an interesting bloke rambles the whole night through and they haven't even asked you two questions about yourself... That's how an interesting bloke turns into a tiresome, boring, self-centered bloke... :yuck:
  • Options
    I am in the same baoat as you.

No other sources either liek the mate so fmates and stuff mentioned above.

Kermit - talking on bueses and Supermarkets actually works? I thought women would think your a weirdo if you tried in those places?

I know people have bad opinions of me on here but I am a decent guy and when I do talk girls I do ask them about themselves, their interests and all that. I never go on about myself.

Its just hard finding someone who isn't takne or is interested.

Gets me down.
  • Options
    Know how you feel. Most of my close friends have all moved away from the area due to Jobs, and uni. The others that are left are friends of friends, and dont have much in common with.
    I'm a bit of a mix when it comes to talking to completely new people (girls/women). If its just a case of meeting a new person in a friendly sence then i dont normally have a problem (once i get over my shyness), but if its a case of i like the women in question (in the wont mind a relationship with them sence) i find it hard to start up a converastion
  • Options
    Mates girlfriends usually have female friends. Just persuade them to bring them out so you can meet them. The more girls you know to begin with the more girls you get to know.
  • Options
    Do you know how many times I have asked my mates gf to bring her mate sout on anight out or set me up with on of her mates??

She had mates, then dithed them all she said after she got with my mate, and some turned on her anyway and they left but now she is friends with others but I neversee them on nights out.

My other mates...guess what??? They are single to!

I am boned.
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    In my experience, the best thing to do is trying to broaden your circle of friends. Be proactive about it, approach your friends' friends, get to know them - the more people you know, the more chances you'll have to meet somebody that takes your fancy.
    That's the best 'tactic'. I came back from uni and only had the one group of friends in the area since all my old friends had moved on, gone to uni, moved away etc. So I made an effort to hang out with different people, like my cousin and her friends, my new workmates (from both jobs), my step-brother and his friends, my step-sister and her friends, and now six month later I know far more people and have a few different groups that I can hang out with. And incidentally, my new girlfriend didn't come from any of those groups, but was introduced to me by my mum, because she wanted me to get her a job. So yeah, get to know friends of friends/family and make an effort to chat to them as friends (i.e. don't just talk to people you fancy). Even if you don't hang out with these people much, if you see them in a club, you can always talk to them, and they might introduce you to someone. It also has the side effect of making you appear more popular when you're talking to a girl and a few people come up to say hello.
    bluewisdom wrote:
    And thirdly - you probably don't do this since you sound like a pretty decent fella, but as someone mentioned before: when you do meet a girl, and you're chatting, please, please ask her about herself! I find it so off-putting when an interesting bloke rambles the whole night through and they haven't even asked you two questions about yourself... That's how an interesting bloke turns into a tiresome, boring, self-centered bloke... :yuck:
    You forgot to mention actually listen to their answers. There's nothing worse than asking a girl something, and realising that she told you five minutes ago. :blush:
  • Options
    I got chatted up on a bus. He was a total freak that couldn't pull elsewhere, and i just ended up thinking he was odd.
  • Options
    How do you talk to a girl in a club or bar?

the music is so loud I can never hear them :(
  • Options
    You see????

Chatting people up in public places is just seen as weird!

I have talked to at least one girl on a bus before, but wasn't chatting them up.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    You see????

Chatting people up in public places is just seen as weird!

I have talked to at least one girl on a bus before, but wasn't chatting them up.
    Chances are if he was good looking and confident, she would have thought of him as 'the charming, witty guy that chatted to her on the bus' though. :D You could come out with the cheesiest chat up line ever and a girl will make excuses for you if she fancies you anyway, like you were just being ironic or something. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    How do you talk to a girl in a club or bar?

the music is so loud I can never hear them :(

You move away from the speakers.

I've had no problem with talking to people in clubs.
  • Options
    Chances are if he was good looking and confident, she would have thought of him as 'the charming, witty guy that chatted to her on the bus' though. :D You could come out with the cheesiest chat up line ever and a girl will make excuses for you if she fancies you anyway, like you were just being ironic or something. :rolleyes:

Yes. He was a bit of a gimp.
  • Options
    Well in leeds it doesn't matter where you go, its always deafeningly loud.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    You move away from the speakers.

I've had no problem with talking to people in clubs.
    I do but thats because i find it hard to hear people in crowded places anyway. Thanks to my dad screwing up my hearing when i was younger.
  • Options
    I only hear my mates if they are shouting or talking right in my ear.

I don't think shouting at a girl makes a good impression...
  • Options
    Social skills are like any other - they get better the more you practice them. You just have to start giving it a go. Yes you'll probably feel like a dick at first but the more you do it the better you get.

I also think from what some of you have said that your putting too much pressure on yourselves. You can't start a conversation with someone on a bus or supermarket thinking that you'd like to go out with them! That aint gonna work because your going to be far to nervous. Your just being friendly, making small talk with a stranger. Try and build up your confidence first and try talking to a stranger who you have no interest in ... there wont be any pressure so you shouldn't get too nervous and then you can learn from that exchange.

Arghh its a hard one to explain but its all mindset. If your not approaching with the thought in your mind that you want to go out with someone then your not scared of rejection and therefore can relax and be yourself. Simple :)
  • Options
    how do you get them though??

I tried doing the social thing at my last work, I got my fingers badly burned......
  • Options
    You make a persausive argument....

I wish they would give a hint though. I mean a smile, a wink or something you know???