Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ball/Prom Dresses

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When I had my prom a couple of years ago, about 90% of people were wearing ball gown style dresses - as Kate already said, what other excuse will you have to wear a dress like that?

However there were some people wearing dresses that were around knee length, so it really depends what you are going to feel most comfortable in, and what you can afford. Hell, some girls who don't "do" skirts/dresses sometimes wear suits to these kind of things, so you shouldn't worry too much!
  • Options
    Well I've been speaking to the person whose ball I'm going to and I've decided to wear a long dress! I don't know where I'm going to get one from though :(
  • Options
    How about something along the lines of this Stacey?
  • Options
    Hmmm, I'm not keen on that dress.

Also, I'm wearing black! Its slimming :D Plus, I feel as though I suit black better than any other colour
  • Options
    Found a couple more but obviously it all depends on your taste really. I don't think it will matter if the dress is not right down to the floor as long as it looks quite smart and formal.

Clicky

Clicky

:)
  • Options
    this? It's black :D
  • Options
    Aww I really like that last one but its out of stock in my size :crying: Its a decent price as well
  • Options
    thats a shame cos that is WELL nice!! i like the 2nd one posted by 1983 but its not black....i had my prom dress made :D

Try local shops (like brides shops the also do prom/bridesmade dresses) theyll b loads in black. I do love the 1st one posed by you id just buy that anyway for the sake of havin such a gorgeous dress!!! hehe such a waste of money!
  • Options
    A lot of my friends bought their prom dresses from either Monsoon or TkMaxx... Although, you don't really want buy the same dress as someone else, so I personally wouldn't recommend those shops lol.

I had my prom dress comissioned. I designed it myself... it was electric blue :lol: I hate it now and am selling it, but at the time I loved it.
    The moral of the story is don't buy a dress that costs a fortune coz you won't be wearing it again :lol:

Ilora x
  • Options
    How about hiring a dress?
  • Options
    I don't know anywhere that lets you hire a dress and to be honest, it might be cheaper to buy a dress rather than renting one out! Doesn't it cost about £70 to rent out a dress?
  • Options
    I got mine from Laura Ashley because I'm secretly middle-aged and frumpy. ;) It's gorgeous though, and it's carried me through four (count 'em, FOUR) formals. They even do some dresses that don't look like a chintzy sofa.

Debenhams is good, though there's a higher chance of someone else having the same dress. I'd recommend department stores like House of Fraser, John Lewis etc. A bigger range from different designers, can't be a bad thing.
  • Options
    even if you spend a bit of money on the dress you will still get your wear out of it because most people tend to wear the same dress each year. a black one is great because you can just accessorize to make it look different each time.

also try somewhere like 'coast' which you can find in selfridges.
  • Options
    for my prom dress i chose the design and then got my auntie to make it.. - BIG mistake :p i looked sooo frumpy. the dress looked nothing like the inital design pictures!!
    next time i need a formal dress im going to get one from a shop :D
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    also try somewhere like 'coast' which you can find in selfridges.

:yes: yes, try there, they have the most gorgeous outfits. can be expensive but i got something from there to wear for a wedding and it's one of my favourite outfits ever. there are some Coast shops, but as lipsy said, there's sections in Selfridges and also Debenhams.
  • Options
    Hmm, well I don't need to buy one until May so I'm gonna shop around. I might take a trip to Manchester and see if they have anything nice there :D
  • Options
    What about this one?

Is this suitable for a ball?

The problem with this dress is thats its pink and I have dark hair so I'm unsure of whether or not it would suit me. :confused:
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    What about this one?

Is this suitable for a ball?

The problem with this dress is thats its pink and I have dark hair so I'm unsure of whether or not it would suit me. :confused:

personally i dont like the dress but dark hair definitly can look good with light colours, just like blondes look good in dark colours

I have dark hair too and if it was me choosing a dress i would probably go for purple or burgandy just because i like richer colours (not one for pastels) and i would avoid black like the plague because its just a colour that has been overdone and everyone wears it!

Depends on your skin too though, pastel colours like that pink look kinda stupid on me because im pale but it could look really nice on other skin tones

Your best going to a shop and trying on loads of styles and colours
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    What about this one?

Absolutely gorgeous!

Your hair would look great with it!

I really like that dress.

Remember though at the end of the day its whatever makes you happiest is the one that you should choose!
  • Options
    I had my first long ball dress made for me, it plain black but to be honest I only wore it once, I think it's too plain and simple. The next one I bought was bright red floor-length from Coast and it's lovely. I've worn it a few times so far and would wear it again.
    Coast is great for that sort of thing, for a full length dress expect to pay £100 - £200 but their knee-length ones are lovely too. I also find they're good for me because their sizing isn't huge. I find alot of dresses in places like Monsoon just hang off me, even in a size 8.
  • Options
    Well I'm going to stop pestering you all now because I bought one today :D I went into Debenhams and got this dress half price for £50 just because it had a broken zip!!!

I went to a repair/alterations place and its gonna cost me £15 to get the zip fixed so I got this dress for £65 really. I thought it was a bargain.

I think its gorgeous and I don't say this often but I actually think it suits me!

Ooo, I can't wait to wear it! :hyper:
  • Options
    cool looks really nice. i just to love the uni balls when i was at Portsmouth Uni. But then i still like them. I go to ones at HMS Collingwood with my folks once a year (or every other year), and when with my wife her work had one for their xmas party.

I think its nice dressing up in a suit (or ball gown if your female), have a few drinks, dance etc... Hope you enjoy yourself Stacey
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    Hope you enjoy yourself Stacey

:D Thanks, I plan to :thumb:
  • Options
    Going to have to ask parents when the summer ball is now, think its my turn this year, as sisters went to summer and xmas balls last year. Oh and find someone to take, thats normally an important part.
  • Options
    The dress you got is really nice. And black is good as you can wear it again more easily than if it were pink or scarlet as people don't remember black as much.
This discussion has been closed.