Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Say a prayer, Tony...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    God IS the ultimate judge and I'm glad Tony has the courage of his convictions to state that truth. I admire politicians who have a belief in God, it strengthens their determination and spirit. I feel safer with such men in power than with atheists whose deny the existence of God. Its time Christians fought back against the non-believers those who are dragging us into a pit of depravity and sin.
  • Options
    rickramone wrote:
    God IS the ultimate judge and I'm glad Tony has the courage of his convictions to state that truth. I admire politicians who have a belief in God, it strengthens their determination and spirit. I feel safer with such men in power than with atheists whose deny the existence of God. Its time Christians fought back against the non-believers those who are dragging us into a pit of depravity and sin.
    :D

There is no God.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    :D

There is no God.
    In your opinion. I disagree. I'll pray for you the redemption of your soul.
  • Options
    Good. You do that.

In the meantime it'd be nice if we can get World leaders who can do their job according to man's rules and not influenced by unproven beliefs and superstitions.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Bush and Blair are war criminals since they engaged in an illegal war, broke international law and the Geneva Convention and caused the needless deaths of tens of thousands and the illegal imprisoment, abuse and torture of many more.

What do you think a war criminal actually is? :confused:

ugh.

A War Criminal is soone you fufills the defination of a war criminal. They have to break the rules of war and be defined as such what was dranw up, debated and ratified.

Broke international law? oh for cyring out loud, there is no linternational law, its all a con. There is no international law. The Geneva convention hasn't ben broken and people die in war, abuse and torture claims are tenious at best, and when it has occured, they individuals have been dealt with, with no proof of state sponsered torure and buses etc.

you can crow on and on about all the stuff you usually do, like one memo that authorised the use of stress postions and sensory deprevation (not torture by the way) . But it doesnt change actual facts.

Geneva doesn't apply to Qunatanomo by the way either before you go on about that.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    ugh.

A War Criminal is soone you fufills the defination of a war criminal. They have to break the rules of war and be defined as such what was dranw up, debated and ratified.
    Case closed then. :rolleyes:
    Broke international law? oh for cyring out loud, there is no linternational law, its all a con.
    LOL!
    The Geneva convention hasn't ben broken and people die in war, abuse and torture claims are tenious at best,
    LOL!
    Geneva doesn't apply to Qunatanomo by the way either before you go on about that.
    So long as it's human beings inside, the Geneva Convention applies.

Last time I checked it wasn't a guinea pig they had running down there.
  • Options
    Nope

Everything is specific. Specific conditins, speicifc cases and speicfic lawas and non-laws.

Not one covers all I am afraid.

It may be grey area, it may be unethical and it may be a loophole. But its legal.

gotta love it :)
  • Options
    You don't have the most remote idea what you're talking about, do you?

Next you will tell me that sexually humilliating prisoners or driving them mad through sensory depravation isn't torture, or that terrorising defenceless inmates with dogs is a common and legal practice in the West.

Oh wait... you've already claimed that. :D

Get it in your head. Your idol the US government broke the law went it went to war, and it breaks the law every day the illegal concentration-nazi camp Guantanamo Bay remains open.

And no matter how many times you deny it, it is not going to make it any less illegal.

You can choose to continue to bury your head in the sand, of course... :D
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    rickramone wrote:
    In your opinion. I disagree. I'll pray for you the redemption of your soul.

Pray ferm ine too please mate? If God is as all the Militant beleivers say... and not therefore, as the Holy Book itself says, then I need it!

I chose to withold any judgement until I am better informed about it. Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. Hell, I don't live a terrible evil life, I nearly always have good and honest intentions (And oh, how I wish I could put them aside more often!), so meh.

But I guess if the Church is right, my left wing views make me evil!

And Tony prayed, essentially, for God to help him... do something against that which is preached in the Bible itself? Arg.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Pray ferm ine too please mate? If God is as all the Militant beleivers say... and not therefore, as the Holy Book itself says, then I need it!

I chose to withold any judgement until I am better informed about it. Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. Hell, I don't live a terrible evil life, I nearly always have good and honest intentions (And oh, how I wish I could put them aside more often!), so meh.

But I guess if the Church is right, my left wing views make me evil!

And Tony prayed, essentially, for God to help him... do something against that which is preached in the Bible itself? Arg.
    :crazyeyes :wave:
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    no i would'nt,mainly for that reason.it just pisses me off that they only seem to focus on that one issue..on domestic issues this government has done better than the tory government did in the eighties.....just fell at the last hurdle :)

Yeaaaah...keep the economy happy, and you can get away with owt else.

Urgh.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Next you will tell me that sexually humilliating prisoners or driving them mad through sensory depravation isn't torture, or that terrorising defenceless inmates with dogs is a common and legal practice in the West. :D
    And forcing a defenceless old man like Norman Kember, (who is a peace activist) to "perform" in front of a video camera before shoving him back into a dark dank dungeon, where he his mind can turn to the many many captives who have been beheaded or disembowelled on camera is common and legal practice in the Middle East?

War is dirty full-stop. It demeans our humanity. There is no moral high ground for any participants. War is evil.
  • Options
    rickramone wrote:
    And forcing a defenceless old man like Norman Kember, (who is a peace activist) to "perform" in front of a video camera before shoving him back into a dark dank dungeon, where he his mind can turn to the many many captives who have been beheaded or disembowelled on camera is common and legal practice in the Middle East?
    What on earth has that got to do with anything?

At least they don't have the fucking cheek to pretend they are champions of freedom and are against torture and human rights abuses.
  • Options
    yes Aladdin coz your always right and whatever you say is golden truth, Mr Ruler of the world of course.

Tsk.

Such delusion so sad.
  • Options
    Aladdin; Did you watch the show?

Because I did, the whole interview and I cant see how you can draw those conclusions.

Yes, in a round about way he said, if you believe in God, then God will be the final judge. That's hardly a shocking thing to say is it?

He never said that he prayed to get the answer for the war, he never said god talked to him, he never said that he only went on his judgement. In fact he consistantly played down any references to God at all.

This isnt anything like the comments from Bush.
  • Options
    Tony Blair’s an incredibly slimy bastard – even the sound of his voice makes my skin crawl.

“God will be my judge” he says. :rolleyes: If there was any justice the International Court of Justice in The Hague would be his judge – it’s unlikely, but at least for somebody as narcissistic as him, having to leave office knowing that he will be remembered best as a gullible fool up the arse of Dumbya Bush might be punishment enough.
  • Options
    Did you see it Voodoo Ray? Because he never said 'God will be my judge'.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Aladdin; Did you watch the show?

Because I did, the whole interview and I cant see how you can draw those conclusions.

Yes, in a round about way he said, if you believe in God, then God will be the final judge. That's hardly a shocking thing to say is it?

He never said that he prayed to get the answer for the war, he never said god talked to him, he never said that he only went on his judgement. In fact he consistantly played down any references to God at all.

This isnt anything like the comments from Bush.
    No I didn't watch the show. I made all my comments before the show was aired, based on what all the newspapers had reported.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    No I didn't watch the show. I made all my comments before the show was aired, based on what all the newspapers had reported.

Dont believe what you read in the papers, the interview was quite normal, and the whole god thing has been totally distorted away from what he actually said.
  • Options
    the interview actually made me like the guy a little bit more than i did before, and blatently shows how scummy the papers are at what they do, it was a pretty normal, insightful and interesting interview, with nothing more contreversial said than at a vicars tea party
  • Options
    I didn't see the interview in question, no - but Tony Blair's been making statements like that about God for a lot of his career.

Although, strangely enough, just before the invasion of Iraq, he was saying that *history* would be his judge.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,905294,00.html

I guess he figures God will be kinder...;)
  • Options
    history is always written by the victors, though who will win is not sure yet
  • Options
    In themselves, Blair's comments aren't very controversial. Christians do believe they are ultimately accountable to God. But there aren't many Christians who have sent troops into a sovereign country on the basis of lies either.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    history is always written by the victors, though who will win is not sure yet

Iraqi and foreign insurgents are massacaring the opposition in Iraq (1300 dead last week) and you have to ask who is winning? :banghead:
  • Options
    God is going to launch a lawsuit against Bush and Blair! Well, sort of. :p
  • Options
    If I were God I certainly be suing them for using my name in vain or claiming I've told them to embark in wars and kills hundreds of thousands.
  • Options
    God to ever stop aladdin???

In war people die. Simple as and as for the God claims, I think its taken out of context, certainly for Blair and most probably for Bush even.

And anyway, what make's you think God didn't want that? I mean if you go on "evidence" God was oking all kind sof wars in the OT, he even told people to go directly and massacre another bunch of people. H elaso sent his angels on regualr genocidal rampages. He was quite a bloodthirsty guy back int he day , and did you ever ask how he come to the postion of God in the first place?? ;)
  • Options
    Take it from me. God didn't speak to Dubya and tell him to invade Afghanistan and Iraq.

God is not supposed to like liars either. You don't get bigger liars than Bush and Blair, who fabricated evidence about Saddam's WMDs and links to terrorism in order to justify their illegal Crusades.
  • Options
    BORING!

Actually, how do you know God didn't talk to Dubya? He doesn't exist in your beliefs so its not liek he talks to you is it? lol
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Simple as and as for the God claims, I think its taken out of context, certainly for Blair and most probably for Bush even.

It's going off on a tangent a little, but the thing that scares me about Bush (well, one of many things) is the extent to which his hyper-conservative brand of religion influences the way he runs the US. He seems to genuinely believe that because "God is on his side", his actions can't be/shouldn't be disputed. Blech.

I agree that in terms of Blair, his statement has been taken way out of context. There is plenty of ammunition with which to annihilate our PM...so no reason to twist this into a huge controversy for that purpose.