Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Say a prayer, Tony...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah, Bush does seem to be the born again type and swayed very much by his fundemetnalist Xian beliefs but he is a politician to and a former business man, plus surrounded by aides, advisors and his cabinent, so its not like he can or will go too nuts.

I mean I think to say Iraq etc is new crusades is a very far but his rulings on what they teachin schools and soo on is certainly influneced by his religion.

I don't agree with fundamentalism in religion at all but he is just a man, a guy in a top job and will be out soon so its not something I am panicking over.

I reckon after Bush we have 8 years of Democratic sanity. I hope so anyway.
  • Options
    How I know? Well you answered your own question. Because there is no God.

But assuming for a moment there were, if it is the God described in the Bible then I can assure you he did not tell Bush to invade other countries. The Christian God described in the Bible would not approve of such actions.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    But assuming for a moment there were, if it is the God described in the Bible then I can assure you he did not tell Bush to invade other countries. The Christian God described in the Bible would not approve of such actions.

Yes, but he might approve keeping facist dictators in power even less....
  • Options
    Then surely He would first strike in furious anger those who help and finance fascist dictators in the first place...
  • Options
    Doubt it - God's more a backseat driver now.
  • Options
    Well ours is not to question God really.

Plus you just ignored my point that in that very Bible, God is a bloodthirty fella who may just have apporved of the war for all you know.

And if you don't belive in God then you cannot catogoorically then claim, he didn't say owt to Bush.

I just think its more stuff blown out of proportion.
  • Options
    Yes, I can. As a person of sound mental state, I can categorically state that God did NOT talk to G. W. Bush.

Undeniable fact.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Yes, I can. As a person of sound mental state, I can categorically state that God did NOT talk to G. W. Bush.

Voice of God revealed to be Cheney on intercom :D

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/43189
  • Options
    Except you can't.

Religious experiences tend to be subjective and you can't catorgircally prove one way or the other God didn't speak to him and that actually is a fact.
  • Options
    Yes, but if you were to take the fantastical experiences of every human being on Earth and believe they might be true because you can't prove them categorically one way or another, then every lunatic on the planet would be walking free because nobody could prove a leprechaun *didn't* tell them to burn things.
  • Options
    Simpsons analogy! I like it. Although that leprechuan did tell him to burn things...

Anyway true, relgious experiences do have to meet certain criteria before they are declared as such, so if Bush agrees to some questoning, who knows ;)

But those locked up lunatics usually have more going on then just staying god spoke to them, they usually have other abnormal behaviours as well, which Bush has yet to prove so.

I mean did Bush truley say in full context that the physical voice of God spoke to hima nd told him to invade Iraq, be president etc?

or was he just talking metaphorically or about his beliefs?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Except you can't.

Religious experiences tend to be subjective and you can't catorgircally prove one way or the other God didn't speak to him and that actually is a fact.
    I can't prove that the Tooth Fairy doesn't exist either. Still...
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I mean did Bush truley say in full context that the physical voice of God spoke to hima nd told him to invade Iraq, be president etc?

or was he just talking metaphorically or about his beliefs?

He's a born-again Christian, I think he believes that he's got a close personal relationship with God and that he's fulfilling God's will -

http://www.uwnews.org/article.asp?articleID=7575

Does he genuinely believe God has personal chats with him?
    That's what he told the Palestinians...

'I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, "George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan." And I did, and then God would tell me, "George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq …" And I did.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/10_october/06/bush.shtml
  • Options
    Well there is more proof for God then the tooth fairy.

dont be so pedantic.
  • Options
    Not quite. There is exactly the same amount of evidence for the existence of God than for the existence of the Tooth Fairy.
  • Options
    Oh for crying out loud you really are a blinkered fool.
  • Options
    Where is that evidence for the existence of God, Walkindude?

Go on, present it to us.

Though given your track record so far when it comes to backing up your claims, I shan't hold my breath.
  • Options
    oh fuck off, its not like your "evidence" has ever been conclusive, although your still in denial.

this is not a debate about god and I am not getting to a debate over the existance of God. Its not a thread about the existance of God.

Even if I did, you wouldn't believe it anyway.
  • Options
    Oh look another backpedalling masterclass from Walkindude. :D
  • Options
    How is it?

I am not gonna divert the fiocus of the thread. No doubt the mod's would chastise me if I tried.

I think there is enohg arguments around with proof for God so if your not believingnow then nothing I can say to convince you.
  • Options
    Walkindude, even the Pope says that theres no proof for god - that's the whole frigging point of religion, to have faith in something you are unsure of.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Not quite. There is exactly the same amount of evidence for the existence of God than for the existence of the Tooth Fairy.

I think there's a lot more proof for the existence of the Tooth Fairy - there's been a lot of money left under pillows, and a lot of teeth disappeared!

Plus, there aren't as many difficult theological questions raised by the Tooth Fairy, like "Why does the Tooth Fairy choose to rob old people of the power to control their bowel movements?" or "Why does the Tooth Fairy reward people who have believed faithfully for a lifetime with excruciating deaths from cancer?" or "Where was the Tooth Fairy at Auschwitz?"
  • Options
    ugh

Please tell me when the Pope ahs said there is no proof of God, catorgorically and not some metaphorical comment about skeptics or something?

yes there is faith of course but proof aswell.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    quite a mouthful!!!

Well its not like you can cut off a piece of God and stick it under a microscope.

Its hard to explain...

Life, existance, evidence of design, a need for a beginning, miracles, religious experiences, jesus christ....all proof.

You don't have to accept it mind.
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    I think there's a lot more proof for the existence of the Tooth Fairy - there's been a lot of money left under pillows, and a lot of teeth disappeared!

Plus, there aren't as many difficult theological questions raised by the Tooth Fairy, like "Why does the Tooth Fairy choose to rob old people of the power to control their bowel movements?" or "Why does the Tooth Fairy reward people who have believed faithfully for a lifetime with excruciating deaths from cancer?" or "Where was the Tooth Fairy at Auschwitz?"
    :D
  • Options
    Please tell me when the Pope ahs said there is no proof of God, catorgorically and not some metaphorical comment about skeptics or something?

Pop down to your local catholic church, mate. They'll tell you that there is no proof of god but that it's a test of your faith designed by god and blah blah blah. It's part of christianity generally.
  • Options
    I highly doubt that.
  • Options
    That's why i said go check it out yourself. I always do.
  • Options
    Depends on who you speak to, but alot of Catholic priests tend to be slightly cynical when it comes to religion nowadays. They have to be, in the current climate, not to look like fools. Even Thomas Aquinas only tried to infer God's existence from observable data, not on the basis of faith his reasoning to reject the Ontological Argument). And then there are the Jesuits....