Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Damn condoms

Why do they have to cost so much. I was walking round boots today and I noticed that they only have one type of non latex condoms and they were sooooo damn expensive. £7.99 for a pack of 5!! Surely they want us to have safe sex? Why should it cost so much? I've been to the clinic and every time they didnt have the right type of condom for me. Not helpful.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Zella wrote:
    Why do they have to cost so much. I was walking round boots today and I noticed that they only have one type of non latex condoms and they were sooooo damn expensive. £7.99 for a pack of 5!! Surely they want us to have safe sex? Why should it cost so much? I've been to the clinic and every time they didnt have the right type of condom for me. Not helpful.
    I don't know. Can you ask a clinic to order them for you? I do know that there is tax on condoms though which seems odd. It might sound dodgy but on e-bay there are people who sell really cheap condoms so maybe you could see if they have any latex free ones? Or maybe an online sex shop would be cheaper than Boots.
  • Options
    I saw a load of 12 packs of Durex in Savers for £3.99 each. I would have bought them but buying that many condoms is pretty much jinxing yourself to not have sex for the next year.
  • Options
    i know its not much cheaper, but on lovehoney they have a pack of 6 for £5.99 and if you buy more packets they get slightly cheaper.

lovehoney ones

only thing is then you have to pay for delivery....unless you buy over £30 worth!
  • Options
    I read a story a few days ago that the Department of Health is currently in negotiations with the Treasury so that VAT is no longer charged on condoms. If successful, condom prices could fall soon.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I read a story a few days ago that the Department of Health is currently in negotiations with the Treasury so that VAT is no longer charged on condoms. If successful, condom prices could fall soon.
    Yeah it just seems really stupid because the people who buy condoms are often young people who are too scared to go to a clinic and get them for free.
  • Options
    I saw a load of 12 packs of Durex in Savers for £3.99 each. I would have bought them but buying that many condoms is pretty much jinxing yourself to not have sex for the next year.

are they latex free ones though?
  • Options
    Go to Amazon. We get ours 100 for $25. :hyper:
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Go to Amazon. We get ours 100 for $25. :hyper:
    We've told you before that Amazon is just a book, music and dvd shop here. :p
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    We've told you before that Amazon is just a book, music and dvd shop here. :p

Oh yes, I forgot :( Stupid stupid stupid :banghead: :banghead: Are you sure though? How come it doesn't? Its like the same thing, eh.

Poo, forget my previous post then sorry :(
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    are they latex free ones though?
    Probably not. I didn't have time to carry out a full product inspection.
  • Options
    http://www.britishcondoms.com/ are pretty good value and I've ordered off of them a few times.

Some high street retailers do seem a bit expensive, especially if you've been a bit busy. :naughty:
  • Options
    Well normal latex condoms are not that pricey but as Zella said she wanted the non latex ones and they are pricey - economies of scale is probabaly your best answer

At least sex is a choice - I think paying £120 for a pair of glasses is expensive and no one asks to be short sighted.
  • Options
    Ahhhh!! Now i'm even more pissed off. I called up my dr's to book an appointment to get tested for sti's so I could ditch the dreded condoms, first the receptionisht didnt know what stis even were then they tell me that they dont offer that service. How the fuck am I going to get tested when the clinic is always fully booked 5 mins after the lines open?
  • Options
    its really stupid aye!

a few years back when me and my mate were 15, she was worried she was pregnant so we thought we'd go to the drop in family planning centre, but the receptionist told us it was only on on a thursday!
    So what if you have sex on thursday night, your condom slips, and you need the morning after pill? :eek2:

Meanwhile the government sit back and wonder why all these teenagers are getting pregnant :banghead:
  • Options
    its really stupid aye!

a few years back when me and my mate were 15, she was worried she was pregnant so we thought we'd go to the drop in family planning centre, but the receptionist told us it was only on on a thursday!
    So what if you have sex on thursday night, your condom slips, and you need the morning after pill? :eek2:

Meanwhile the government sit back and wonder why all these teenagers are getting pregnant :banghead:

Our town has a clinic (well, did have) that they promoted all around the school - it was aimed at under 16's (i.e school kids) but anyone could go obviously...

Sounds good doesn't it? There was a slight catch though....

It was only on on a Monday and Wednesday, between 11am and 1pm.

Once we pointed out that these were school hours and we'd have to skip school to go, they soon stopped promoting it.

Whether it's still on I don't know. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I called up the FPA (Family planning) to ask about the pill and it being late coz I was freaked I was preganant and she said "well you need to spek to a nurse who is here only between 10.30 and 1," (or summat) and I was like "uuh i have school"

Had to call my docs. stupid clinic. Its closed on weekeneds too
  • Options
    I think the opening hours of these places are beyond woeful. The times aren't set up strategically for when they're most needed (ie- weekends and holidays when people are out 'partying' or whatever,) but for when a nurse can staff them for a couple of hours a day/one day of the week.
  • Options
    I was clubbin' last night and they had a stall beside the clockroom handing out free condoms and lube, along with flyers about drugs and safe sex. I pocketed a load.
  • Options
    look around alot of places have cheap ass jonnys, Semi Chem sell the family box for 6 or 7 quid. they last a while depending on how much fucking you do but i always find them reasonable
  • Options
    look around alot of places have cheap ass jonnys, Semi Chem sell the family box for 6 or 7 quid. they last a while depending on how much fucking you do but i always find them reasonable

theres a lot of people in this thread posting prices and stuff, but i dont think you are talking about latex free ones, which were the origional question in the thread
  • Options
    ahh shit, sorry man
  • Options
    ahh shit, sorry man

Completly of topic. Just wanted to say love your avatar.
  • Options
    the family box
    Is it a bit ironic to be calling a box or condoms "the family box" since this is the very thing you are trying to avoid :lol:
  • Options
    Haha nice call. I like it!
  • Options
    don't laugh at me.
    i buy mine in lidl. they sell 12 packs for £2.50.
    i can't afford to pay £4 for a 3 pack of durex and more for a 12 pack.
  • Options
    I dont know of any lidles near me:( we have a nettos but not a lidles
  • Options
    Zella wrote:
    I dont know of any lidles near me:( we have a nettos but not a lidles
    Maybe if you phone the clinic in advanced of your visit to warn them you are coming...?

I'm still really surprised if they can't give latex free condoms to you for free, I'm sure you shouldn't have to pay for condoms.
  • Options
    Well I just went up to the walk in clinic. Totally crap! They dont do sti testing without an appointmetn and i've been phoneing up every day for 3 weeks trying to get one ffs! AND they told me they dont do latex free condoms on the NHS which seems fucking shit imho! Do they just want me not to have safe sex? cos it seems that way. This is the first relationship I've been in where i'm actually being sensible and doing what the government guidlines for sexual relationships say and their making it so difficult! I really dont understand why its should be this hard to have safe sex.
  • Options
    Zella wrote:
    AND they told me they dont do latex free condoms on the NHS
    That's awful! I can't believe it- it seems ridiculous.

It would make me tempted to deliberately catch lots of knicker-nasties just to cost them loads of money putting me right again (okay so it's not that tempting).

Are there any charities that could help you? Brook maybe?

You could do a "AskTheSite" as I'm sure somebody out there must be able to help you...
  • Options
    I've no idea about charities, will look into it tho. If anyone knows a charity that wants me to have pain free safe sex let me know contact details please.