Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Im broody - help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My mate who is 2 years older than me has just had a baby today!! I have been to see her at home and the baby is lovely! :love:

Im just sooooooooooo broody, I want a baby! :impissed:

Im too young, but I just want one!! I know my fella aint that keen, and we did talk about it in the car (he is best mates with my mates fella - the father) and my fella said "I would have a baby if you wanted one" I do want one, but I think its just cos' I've seen a baby today! I'm so close to my mate, I even went with her for a scan!!

Its just I've started college again and im finding it really boring and a baby seems so exiting! Im really broody :banghead:

I fell peed of with myself for even getting broody :banghead:

Someone please help me :grump:

Tell me how nasty babys are and how childbirth is sooooooooo bad! :sour:

Comments

• Options
    God, I'm the same at the moment, cause my mate is due her baby in April and I'm always going out buying baby clothes for her.

I aint even with anyone+ I'm aware I'm too young and still at college, etc,etc, but just the thought of settling down and having a family like my mate, is starting to appeal to me :-/
  • Options
    God, I'm the same at the moment, cause my mate is due her baby in April and I'm always going out buying baby clothes for her.

I aint even with anyone+ I'm aware I'm too young and still at college, etc,etc, but just the thought of settling down and having a family like my mate, is starting to appeal to me :-/

I know what you mean!! Its soooooo hard cos when I asked my fella he was like 'if you want a baby then we'll have one' and I sooooooo want one!!! I just wished my fella said NOOOOO kids ect. I could see myself settling down, having a kid now, but I know I'm being stupid :banghead:

We just need to think about the cons to having a baby-
    - Strechmarks - (I've got them altready tho :yeees: )
    - Birth
    - Stichers!!!!!!!!!!!1 :eek:
    - Sick and poo :sour:
    - early mornings
    - No lie ins :crazyeyes
    - Getting up in middle of night to feed/change :nervous:

Anymore???
  • Options
    I'm sure the mothers on thesite can help you out there my dear, a spot of babysitting might do the trick :D You can have mine from tomorrow evening, including bedtime and you won't be let off duty untill after the morning routine and school run. Fancy it? They're smelly alien heads when they're babies, and what's worse is that they don't even stay in the baby stage for long. lol.

In all seriousness you've got a good thing there, a baby you can visit and play with without the responsibility. I shouldn't worry about being broody, perfectly natural. As long as you live by a little head a little heart, you'll have babies at the right time for you.
  • Options
    Briony wrote:
    Anymore???

Someone more important than yourself and the responsibility for their life for at least the next 18 years...
  • Options
    Yeah it's not working :(
    I really want all that at the moment. I'll be torturing my friend when she has her baby and offer to babysit loads and hopefully that will put me off when the baby will start crying over everything. Ooo especially if her baby suffers from colic or something.
    How long have you been with your fella then?
  • Options
    How about this one, make a list of all the things you really really want to do in your life, another list of the things you might like to do in your life, and a list of all the things you already do. Then imagine each of these things with a baby, remembering that they don't stay babies- in four/five years you'll likely be tied to one place because of schooling etc.
  • Options
    Yeah, my sister keeps telling me to do that. Cause he had my niece about my age and says all the things I should be doing instead, etc.

I do hope to move abroad for a while, just for the experience and to get me away from family to work out what I want in life,etc. Which I obviously couldn't do if I had a baby.
  • Options
    Briony wrote:

Goopy, bloody, nasty, crying, slimy, placenta, and thats only the first day...
  • Options
    I know I wont do anything about this broody-ness (I hope! :p ) but its so fustrating!! When my sister had her babies I got so broody and really havent got over it!! My mate said to me today 'I always thought you would have kids early cos your a motherly type' and I suppose in a way I am just a motherly type.

They dont stay babies for long, but I love it when they get there own personality, say their own little words and start walking!! :yippe:

I've been with my fella for two and a bit years C2BK
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Goopy, bloody, nasty, crying, slimy, placenta, and thats only the first day...

I know its bad but I asked my mate how it was today and she said "Its the most painfull thing in the world....... but when you hold that baby all the pain is gone" I was like I didnt want that answer!! :mad:

The only thing is I have thought about the stuff I want to do -
    - Clubbing - been there ect
    - Going abroad on holiday - doing that soon
    I dont want to travel the world, I just wanna get a nice house with me fella and have little bambinos ;) Really I am the settling down type, me and my fella are quite boring - stay in most night apart from the odd couple. Im just so fustrated!! I went shopping and bought a lovely Me2you bear - Baby's first Me2you bear!!!! and bought it loads of cute iccle clothes!! :love:
  • Options
    Hmm, I sometimes feel very broody and then I spend the day with a friend or relative and their little bitty one. It's not the pooey, sicky etc aspect that would bother me (I see enough at work to be desensitised, I think)...or particularly the early mornings/late nights part either. It's when I see of these previously independent, often impulsive people having to pencil in five minutes to wash their hair or have a cup of tea. For me it's the little freedoms like that that matter more than being about to jet off to Thailand or something. Life as a new parent is utterly consumed, at least when they're tiny and utterly dependent on you. Then when they're older they're dependent in a different way, and like someone said you're fairly rooted because of schooling etc.

All that said, there comes a time when you're ready to accept all the hinderance and consumption of your time...and it might be that you're ready, even though you are still young! But I definitely see the connection between re-starting college and becoming more broody, a little bebe of your own seems like a more attractive thing to devote your time and energy to.

You're not rushing into anything, anyway, so that's cool. Give it time and see if you're actually feeling those maternal urges in the long-term...or if it's just the after effect of seeing someone else's cute little nipper (and being able to hand them back at the end of your visit) ;).

Buying baby clothes is a BAD idea though, whenever I shop for my niece I go off the broody-scale. :lol:
  • Options
    Briony wrote:

They are fucking expensive, and you are stuck with looking after them for about 18 years. Rather you than me :thumb:
  • Options
    Briony wrote:
    I love it when they get there own personality, say their own little words and start walking!! :yippe:

That's alright until that comes to mean that they defy you at every turn, start touching everything and tell you to piss off. :D
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    That's alright until that comes to mean that they defy you at every turn, start touching everything and tell you to piss off. :D

Absolutely. The first word I learned was "no".
  • Options
    That's the first word every child learns to use with true feeling.

Shortly followed by "why?"
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:

:D
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:

Oh god yes, we get that for EVERYTHING, and if I say "i dont know", he says "But you HAVE to know!"

doesnt stop me feeling broody anyway
  • Options
    Wait a few weeks and offer to babysit your friends baby for the night, see if you're still broody after that. And if you are then I'll send you my birth story to read, that'll definitely put you off :p
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:

i still do that! :lol:
  • Options
    Sometimes I feel like i'm the only person in the world who doesnt' get broody - I think about my future and i always see me having children but I NEVER look at children and think I want one of those.

Shopping for baby clothes is great but the downside is you have to put a baby in them - yuck how horrible
  • Options
    I'm often broody but I get over it. I always thought I'd have a baby by this time and I want one before I'm thirty but to be honest I just don't see how, I don't have the money or more improtantly the Dad! Well anyway for me, my broodiness just comes and goes. I would probably adopt an older child anyway, its not that I want a baby its more that I want a child and to be a mother.
    x
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I get very broody. I am not allowed a baby though :(

In about 18 months I am though :D

As long as everything goes to plan, that is.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:

followed by 'i want this', 'no, you can't have it', 'WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhHHHHHHHHHH' screaming fit in supermarket.

to try and stop my wee nephew doing this, his mum told him 'i know you want it, but do you really need it?

so then he switched to 'i NEED this', 'no, you don't need it', 'WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhHHHHHHHHHH' screaming fit in supermarket.

i used to get very broody when the kids in the family were tiny babies. now they're all of toddling age, much as i love them, after a day or two MY GOD do i need a rest. i value my time/sleep/belongings at the moment too much to have kiddies.
  • Options
    Ok all, here is a short test to see if your ready for kids...

Mess Test
    Smear peanut butter on the sofa and curtains. Now rub your hands in the wet flowerbed and rub on the walls. Cover the stains with crayons. Place a fish stick behind the couch and leave it there all summer.

Toy Test
    Obtain a 55-gallon box of Lego's. (If Lego's are not available, you may substitute roofing tacks or broken bottles.) Have a friend spread them all over the house. Put on a blindfold. Try to walk to the bathroom or kitchen. Do not scream. (This could wake a child at night.)

Feeding Test
    Obtain a large plastic milk jug. Fill halfway with water. Suspend from the ceiling with a stout cord. Start the jug swinging. Try to insert spoonfuls of soggy cereal (such as Fruit Loops or Cheerios) into the mouth of the jug, while pretending to be an airplane. Now dump the contents of the jug on the floor.

Dressing Test
    Obtain one large, unhappy, live octopus. Stuff into a small net bag making sure that all arms stay inside.

Grocery Store Test
    Borrow one or two small animals (goats are best) and take them with you as you shop at the grocery store. Always keep them in sight and pay for anything they eat or damage.

Night Test
    Prepare by obtaining a small cloth bag and fill it with 8 - 12 pounds of sand. Soak it thoroughly in water. At 8:00 P.M. begin to waltz and hum with the bag until 9:00 P.M. Lay down your bag and set your alarm for 10:00 P.M. Get up, pick up your bag, and sing every song you have ever heard. Make up about a dozen more and sing these too until 4:00 A.M. Set alarm for 5:00 A.M. Get up and make breakfast. Keep this up for 5 years. Look cheerful.

Physical Test (Women)
    Obtain a large beanbag chair and attach it to the front of your clothes. Leave it there for 9 months. Now remove 10 of the beans.

Physical Test (Men)
    Go to the nearest drug store. Set your wallet on the counter. Ask the clerk to help himself. Now proceed to the nearest food store. Go to the head office and arrange for your paycheck to be directly deposited to the store. Purchase a newspaper. Go home and read it quietly for the last time.

Final Assignment
    Find a couple who already has a small child. Lecture them on how they can improve their discipline, patience, tolerance, toilet training, and child's table manners. Suggest many ways they can improve. Emphasize to them that they should never allow their children to run riot. Enjoy this experience. It will be the last time you will have all the answers.
  • Options
    i've never really got broody before (but then i'm only 20!) as having kids is something that for me comes after my career so i'll wait until then.

i do have a gorgeous 8 month old nephew and i do think aww i want! but then i realise i only want him to look at. :p
  • Options
    oh no, i dont get broody AT all. sometimes i see babies and am like aww how cute but i really dont want one of my own for a long long time. im too selfish, i couldnt be doing with all the responsibility and i need my sleep!
  • Options
    I get broody ALL the time, when i see little new born babies, or toddlers, or little tiny clothes, ladies with bumps, anything! Its no where near that time for me yet though....still got a few years before im ready for that!
  • Options
    Mollow wrote:
    Ok all, here is a short test to see if your ready for kids...

Ive seen this test before.
    I used to think it was exaggerated before I actually had one.
  • Options
    See exactly why I dont' want children.

My prerequisites for having one are:

a) I have a house large enough for them to have a separate play room where they can make as much mess as they like but there toys are on pain of death to remain in that room and go NOWHERE else in the house

b) They have their own bathroom.

c) I have a Nanny who takes care of them 5 days a week (which includes a saturday) - however this will probably be a nanny share with some of my friends.

d) My standard of living does not go down and I still have exactly the same ammount of money to spend on myself as I do now - because i find it hard enough to manage with just me on what I earn.

e) I'm able to give my children all the things I had as a child and more

f) When they reach 12 they're being shipped off to summer camp in the US for the whole summer weather they like it or not - i'm sure it will teach independence.

g) I still get one meal out a week.

I do however realise this is a total spoilt rich kid view of things; but I think its a better view to have than to think that having a baby is all sweetness and light and i allow you all to laugh and point at me in a years time when i'm all babied up!!

Also there are so many unloved children in the world - why not love one of them instead i've never understood this need to reproduce yourself...
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    See exactly why I dont' want children.

My prerequisites for having one are:

a) I have a house large enough for them to have a separate play room where they can make as much mess as they like but there toys are on pain of death to remain in that room and go NOWHERE else in the house

b) They have their own bathroom.

c) I have a Nanny who takes care of them 5 days a week (which includes a saturday) - however this will probably be a nanny share with some of my friends.

d) My standard of living does not go down and I still have exactly the same ammount of money to spend on myself as I do now - because i find it hard enough to manage with just me on what I earn.

e) I'm able to give my children all the things I had as a child and more

f) When they reach 12 they're being shipped off to summer camp in the US for the whole summer weather they like it or not - i'm sure it will teach independence.

g) I still get one meal out a week.

I do however realise this is a total spoilt rich kid view of things; but I think its a better view to have than to think that having a baby is all sweetness and light and i allow you all to laugh and point at me in a years time when i'm all babied up!!
    points and laughs already :lol::lol: :thumb:

sounds cool though, just not really how it happens.