Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Recommend a book?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Does anyone recommend a really good book for a long journey? I'll read anything really, but I have a thing for romantic novels. Any suggestions?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    If you love love stories, then you will LOVE The Time-Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Go and buy it now, you won't be disappointed.

And its 600 pages, plenty to get your teeth into.

It's probably my favourite book ever. I'm not one for love stories, but this one always makes me cry at the end. It's wonderful.
  • Options
    James Joyce-Finnegans Wake ;)
  • Options
    Peoples History by Howard Zinn
    Bushisms, always a good laugh
    Goosebumps (allright ;))
  • Options
    The Life Of Pi, by Jann Martel. If you like something that makes you think then that's a good one. It won a prize, I think. Very moving too. :)
  • Options
    The Time-Traveler's Wife is an interesting one, as Kermit said it's an out-and-out love story so if that's your main criterion then it's a perfect choice as you're pretty much guaranteed to love it. I'd definitely recommend you read it just so you can form your own opinion on it...because I HATED it. :p

(Well, to be honest I liked it when I read it and it wasn't until I started thinking about it a while afterwards that the hatred crept in. What pretentious protagonists, I mean...reciting German poetry while giving birth?)

I'll recommend 'Alias Grace' by Margaret Atwood, which isn't really a love story but is utterly absorbing and really well written.

'Villette' by Charlotte Bronte is a really charming little love story, and semi-autobiographical, if you like that kinda thing. :)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I always reccommend the same 3:
    • "Uncle Petros and Goldbach's conjecture" -By far the best I've ever read, it's about a mathematician who dedicated his life to solving a famous problem. It may sound boring, but it's not in the slightest!
    • "Sophie's world" -A girl taught about Philosophy by a strange guy and realising something surprising about her whole world.
    • "The mothman prophecies" -Don't judge it by the crap film, it's really creepy and captivating (for me at least).
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Sophie's world

...is rubbish. Pretentious claptrap IMHO.

But then others think my fave books are;)
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    ...is rubbish. Pretentious claptrap IMHO.

But then others think my fave books are;)
    All a matter of taste, isn't it? She might come back and say "I found the best book I've ever read, it's the 12-volume My life in the cave by Pogo the Hermit". :p
  • Options
    Any and all Harry Potter books!

But you might as well just get an agathie christie.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Kermit wrote:
    If you love love stories, then you will LOVE The Time-Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Go and buy it now, you won't be disappointed.

And its 600 pages, plenty to get your teeth into.

It's probably my favourite book ever. I'm not one for love stories, but this one always makes me cry at the end. It's wonderful.

I agree 110%. Just finished it and it is the only book I have (nearly) cried at. One of my all time favourites.

I also love Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Louis de Bernieres, and for something quite different, The Dice Man - Luke Rhinehart.
  • Options
    I agree 110%.

thirded.
    Just finished it and it is the only book I have (nearly) cried at.

nearly? god, i was in floods. books make me cry waaaay more than films do.
    I also love Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Louis de Bernieres

yup, agree on that too. was gutted when they destroyed it by allowing the atrocious film of it :impissed:

i'd recommend anything by haruki murakami. his writing is refreshingly different from all the western stuff you'll be used to, but it's still really simply written and accessible, and not up it's own arse at all. more along the lines of love and loss than love and happy endings, but still worth a read, i think.
  • Options
    I also love Captain Corelli's Mandolin

I can't read that, I've tried and tried but it's as though they're writting in another language, using English words. Just huh? Oh no, I'm talking out my arse (as per usual), just pulled it off my shelf to quote a nasty sentance as an example... and I'm not even talking about the same book. Not even close- weirdo! Anyway, don't read One Hundred Years of Solitude, G.G.Marquez. It's like reading a book that was written in german, put through a free online translator into spanish, then back to german and then finally to english- wrong!

I recommend Goodnight Mr Tom, Michelle Magorian and Herland, Charlotte Perkins Gilman.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Anyway, don't read One Hundred Years of Solitude, G.G.Marquez. It's like reading a book that was written in german, put through a free online translator into spanish, then back to german and then finally to english- wrong!

i love reading translated books, cause they have a really curious way of wording things that makes you think about what they're actually saying rather than what you assume they're saying cause it's a metaphor you've read 2678 times before.

i do agree they can be pretty hard going sometimes though :yes:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Howard Marks - Mr Nice
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    i love reading translated books, cause they have a really curious way of wording things that makes you think about what they're actually saying rather than what you assume they're saying cause it's a metaphor you've read 2678 times before.

i do agree they can be pretty hard going sometimes though :yes:
    A lot of books are translated badly though.

I read Paulo Coelho's "The Alchemist" in English and the original in Portuguese and they were very different in sentiment and meaning.
  • Options
    If I can read the original language of a book, I wouldn't get the translated version -except maybe to compare and laugh at the stupid translation mistakes. :D
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    If I can read the original language of a book, I wouldn't get the translated version -except maybe to compare and laugh at the stupid translation mistakes. :D
    In the Alchemist they missed huge chunks out in the English version... mostly Biblical type stuff. I bet they thought the English market wouldn't like those bits. But it largely changed the sentiment of the book.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    kaffrin wrote:
    nearly? god, i was in floods. books make me cry waaaay more than films do.

I have never cried at a book before though. I find it difficult to do. This one was the closest I have ever been.

kaffrin wrote:
    yup, agree on that too. was gutted when they destroyed it by allowing the atrocious film of it :impissed:

It was *awful*. It made me very sad to see how they completely ruined a fantastic book.

The other book that I would recommend, just for a really good, easy read is Adrian Mole and Weapons of Mass Destruction. It's a fun read.
  • Options
    Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging; Confeesions of Georgia Nickleson
    (and the other 6 after it... ) very VERY funny!

Eragon by Christopher Paolini ... couldnt put it down, very addictive

Interview With a Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, Queen of the Damned - Anne Rice... awesome as
  • Options
    Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging; Confeesions of Georgia Nickleson
    (and the other 6 after it... ) very VERY funny!

Louise Rennison Ruuuuuuuuuulez. :heart:
  • Options
    Joseph Heller - Catch 22
  • Options
    see so many nice bood here... i will choose one to read next...
  • Options
    Well I'm reading a book at the moment called "The little prisoner" by Jane Elliot. I'm half way through it at the moment and I think its really really good.
  • Options
    Oranges aren't the Only Fruit - Jeanette Winterson...

Abso-fucking-lutely fantastic!
  • Options
    The Life Of Pi, by Jann Martel. If you like something that makes you think then that's a good one. It won a prize, I think. Very moving too. :)

I agree this is a very good story, slow to start with but really good once you have got in to it.
  • Options
    Oranges are not the only fruit by jeanette winterson is ok but i studied it doing English Lit Alevel so after reading it ten zillion times have to say i am fed up of it lol.

There are so many great books out there so it is hard to reccomend a good one.
  • Options
    If you want something braindead, Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About by Mil Millington is a good fun read.

I also rate The Gun Seller by Hugh laurie, but I doubt it's your cup of tea.

I'm reliably told A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth is wonderful, but I haven't read it yet.

Memories of My Melancholy Whores by Gabriel Garcia Marquez is worth a read.

I've read the Time-Traveler's Wife about ten times now. It always gets me at the end. The last two or three pages have such powerful imagery, for me it sums up love completely and makes me appreciate what I have.

Another book that gets me is The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.
  • Options
    becky4131 wrote:
    I agree this is a very good story, slow to start with but really good once you have got in to it.

Glad somebody agrees! :thumb:
  • Options
    Shadows on our Skin-Jennifer Johnston
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    A lot of books are translated badly though.

I read Paulo Coelho's "The Alchemist" in English and the original in Portuguese and they were very different in sentiment and meaning.

depends how you define 'badly' though. in a lot of languages there is no direct translation for most phrases, so to make the book make sense at all, much less as a whole, they have to re-write it. translation is more than just popping it all into babelfish and churning out the literal meaning in english.

also your grasp of a language affects the way you interpret books. and i don't mean that in a bad way. like, my mum's first language was polish, and she is completely fluent, but because she was educated in english and she uses english every day, when she reads an english book she will pick up all the subtleties of the way the language is used, and ambiguities in the wording. she can read a polish book, understand it perfectly and know exactly what happened, but she will not get into it in quite the same way.