Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Recommend a book?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I recommend it everytime... but 'The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time' by Mark Haddon is fantastic. Even if it did make me laugh out loud all the way through and I don't think it's meant to be THAT funny...!

I also love 'Running With Scissors' and 'Dry' by Augusten Burroughs. You need to read them ion that order, though. They are about his life and they are so well written... ahh he is an amazing writer. I've just read a fiction novel of his called 'Sellevision' which is hilarious.

Both 'The Curious Incident...' and 'Running With Scissors' are meant to be coming out as films this year. I can't fucking wait!

Other books I highly recommend are 'A Crack In Forever' by Jeannie Brewer which is quite an easy read, but made me cry. Which takes a lot. :p And I loved The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks.

The Louise Rennison books about Georgia Nicolson are bloody fantastic. I still read them sometimes for a giggle even if I am a bit too old for them! When I started reading them and I was still at school, I could relate to Georgia perfectly... me and my best mate still tell each other that we 'lobe' each other. :D
  • Options
    I suggest the latest book about God but the Dr fella with the moustache
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I also love 'Running With Scissors' and 'Dry' by Augusten Burroughs. You need to read them ion that order, though. They are about his life and they are so well written... ahh he is an amazing writer. I've just read a fiction novel of his called 'Sellevision' which is hilarious.

Both 'The Curious Incident...' and 'Running With Scissors' are meant to be coming out as films this year. I can't fucking wait!

I love both of those books. Prefered 'Running with Scissors' though. Not read 'Dry' yet. It is on my wish list :D

I didn't realise that both of these books were being made into films. Can't wait for that. They will be really good methinks.
  • Options
    I love both of those books. Prefered 'Running with Scissors' though. Not read 'Dry' yet. It is on my wish list :D

I didn't realise that both of these books were being made into films. Can't wait for that. They will be really good methinks.

Ooooh! I prefered 'Dry' a little more than 'Running With Scissors' - although they are both amazing, and you need to read 'RWS' to understand 'Dry'.

Saying that though, my mate like 'RWS' more, so you never know. Burroughs is an amazing writer, I think.
  • Options
    The Louise Rennison books about Georgia Nicolson are bloody fantastic. I still read them sometimes for a giggle even if I am a bit too old for them! When I started reading them and I was still at school, I could relate to Georgia perfectly... me and my best mate still tell each other that we 'lobe' each other. :D

:yes: hehe me too :) I love these books! They actually make me LOL hehehe

Also, Tim Burton's poem book - The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy : and Other Stories - Very dark, quite funny.
  • Options
    Was in WHsmith today and saw Jade Goodys Autobiography next to Nelson Mandela's...made me think, what is this world coming to :chin:
  • Options
    Was in WHsmith today and saw Jade Goodys Autobiography next to Nelson Mandela's...made me think, what is this world coming to :chin:

What that people actually bother reading autobiographies regardless of who they're written by?

Sorry I have something against autobiographies. Without doubt the worst form of literature ever conceived by man or beast.

Read Dante's Divine Comedy the other day. That was pretty good. Re-reading Great Expectations as I fucking love it.
  • Options
    I'm not a big fan of autobiographies, I've come across a few that've been great but they're definitely the exception to the rule. Biographies, on the other hand, fascinate me -- to varying degrees depending on who they're about, of course :p

I just finished reading The Big Sky by A. B Guthrie for the second time, and would recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone with even a passing interest in Western fiction. Just a fantastic story telling of the real wild, primitive West and [to cut it right down to barest bones] freedom. I love it.