Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Trailer parks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you have trailer parks there?

http://greenehouse.net/img/trailer_park.jpg http://www.celinaonline.com/gallery/centreville/centreville-shady-rest-trailer-park-1_medium.jpg

Not like trailers, the kind you travel in, but like the "houses" shown

Comments

• Options
    We have caravan sites and stuff very similar. People rent them for holidays or live in them. We don't have trailer trash over here - we have CHAVs (council house and voilent - hehe, no offence).
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    We have caravan sites and stuff very similar. People rent them for holidays or live in them. We don't have trailer trash over here - we have CHAVs (council house and voilent - hehe, no offence).

That's not where Chav comes from.

And we do have 'trailer trash' here - but they're called Gypsies - where the word Chav did come from. :).
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    That 1st link thing didn't work for me, and we have gypsie's here, if they are similar?
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    That 1st link thing didn't work for me, and we have gypsie's here, if they are similar?

I'm just trying to broaden my cultural knowledge :p

So would your "gypsie" be similar to the inhabantants of our trailer parks such as this lovely couple

or maybe more well known...
    04.jpg
  • Options
    I think Pikies are probably more similar to trailer trash than gypsies are
  • Options
    There are loads of gypsy sites round my way. Wiltshire seems quite happy to accept them.

Here's a local one...
    0994_15bw.jpg
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    For my_name

Definition of the word "chav" ---- a young person, often without a high level of education, who follows a particular fashion; Chavs usually wear designer labels including the chav favourite 'Burberry', caps, lacoste trainers and if they’re girls, very short skirts, large hoop earrings and stilettos.

OR

Picture this a young lad about 12 years of age and 4 ½ feet high baseball cap at ninety degrees in a imitation addidas tracksuit, with trouser legs tucked into his socks (of course, is definitely the height of fashion). This lad is strutting around, cigarette in one hand jewellery all over the over, outside McDonalds acting as if he is 8 foot tall and built like an American Football player, when some poor unsuspecting adult (about 17/18) walks round the corner wanting to go to mcdonalds for his dinner glances at the young lad, the young lad jumps up in complete disgust and says “Whats your problem? Wanna make sommin of it? Bling Bling” when the adult starts to walk towards the young lad, the young lad pisses himself and runs off to either his pregnant 14-year-old girlfriend or his brother in the army crying his eyes out.

There you go my_name quick run down of a chav. So not really complete trailer trash. Gypsies are near to trailer trash as in they live in caravans. Maybe if you mix gypsies and chavs you'd get trailer trash?
  • Options
    Silverberg wrote:
    I think Pikies are probably more similar to trailer trash than gypsies are

There really isn't much difference between the two types of travellers. One has Irish origins, the other Romany!

The word Chav and Chavi means mate or young boy in Romany (gypsy) language.
    And the word Pikey is offensive.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Carolina wrote:
    ...?

Oh god thats too funny. I'll have to ask gurlinthecurl cuz I cannot think of a widely used name for them... other than plain trashy, as not all of them are white. I've not really seen anybody in the same attire though :( (well girls, yes, but they are usually of hispanic background so I just thought maybe thats what they like)

oh thanks though. :lol:
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    or maybe more well known...
    04.jpg

He doesnt live in a trailer.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    He doesnt live in a trailer.

hes white trash
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    hes white trash

Maybe, he's a yokal (sp?) but he doesnt live in a trailer, as can be seen in the episode when Marge sets up business making pretzels.
  • Options
    God just kill me now for not knowing what cartoon characters lived where :( :crying: you've taught me well. thanks

I just thought he was a good example to see what your version of white trash would be. Trailer Trash always is white trash but white trash is not always trailer trash :p
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    God just kill me now for not knowing what cartoon characters lived where :( :crying: you've taught me well. thanks

Well if you're going to use him as an example you should know whether he actually lives in a trailer.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Well if you're going to use him as an example you should know whether he actually lives in a trailer.

for it being early evening there I'd thougt it would be late enough to have a joke... (the joke being in the previous post that i did not know where he lived, not that he in fact does not live in a trailer park. i'm sure it would have needed explaining to you anyways)
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    for it being early evening there I'd thougt it would be late enough to have a joke...

16:00 is not early evening. Most people still havn't finished work. and bong is joking.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    we actualy do have trailer sites in this country and i'll bet 99% of the british population are unaware of them ...and yes they are inhabited mostly by trailer trash.
    guys on the run ...down on their luck etc. whole familes.

just outside wilmslow in manchester is a huge one.
    people live their permanently.
    not gypsie or travelers.
    mostly manchesters failures or victims.
    but failures who have dropped completely off the radar. clean place considering.
    on the outskirts of every city theres one tucked away.
    the one in wilmslow is about a thousand trailers.
  • Options
    we actualy do have trailer sites in this country and i'll bet 99% of the british population are unaware of them ...and yes they are inhabited mostly by trailer trash.

not gypsie or travelers.
    but failures who have dropped completely off the radar. clean place considering.

Thats what you call cackers.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

not gypsie or travelers.
    That's what I was going to post. Actually quite a number of people lived in permanent caravans back home- I am from Reading. They are different to gypsies (travellers) in that a lot of people living in trailer sites have permanent jobs or claim benefits. They aren't all "chavs" either.
  • Options

not gypsie or travelers.

yea, that sounds familiar!
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    They are different to gypsies (travellers) in that a lot of people living in trailer sites have permanent jobs or claim benefits.

Do gypsies not have jobs or claim benifits?

But your right gypsies proper i.e Romany gypsies are a race.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    That's what I was going to post. Actually quite a number of people lived in permanent caravans back home- I am from Reading. They are different to gypsies (travellers) in that a lot of people living in trailer sites have permanent jobs or claim benefits. They aren't all "chavs" either.
    exactly.
    last time i went to the wilmslow one was to purchase a collection of knuckle dusters.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

by the way skive ...the victims site has closed down ...due to me i think.
  • Options
    by the way skive ...the victims site has closed down ...due to me i think.

Nah, sometimes the boards just go down for a bit.
    http://www.voiceofthevictims.com/
    http://www.voiceofthevictims.blogspot.com/
    ...still work.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

Well. The ones who travel around the whole time seem to land on a town, steal lots of stuff, make lots of mess and then get moved on. I don't think you could have a job if you moved location every few weeks (and a large percentage of them cannot read or write or do basic numeracy). I don't know much about benefits though. Also they don't send their kids to school (because they are always moving on) which makes their problems somewhat cyclical.

Although there is/ was an old British law that said if you squat on the same piece of land for long enough you get the right to own it (or something like that) and there were some gypsies back home who did exactly that and managed to turn there lives around. The two daughters went to my old school. Okay, so one of them did spit on my foot once, but at least they got a basic education.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Well. The ones who travel around the whole time seem to land on a town, steal lots of stuff, make lots of mess and then get moved on. I don't think you could have a job if you moved location every few weeks (and a large percentage of them cannot read or write or do basic numeracy). I don't know much about benefits though. Also they don't send their kids to school (because they are always moving on) which makes their problems somewhat cyclical.

Although there is/ was an old British law that said if you squat on the same piece of land for long enough you get the right to own it (or something like that) and there were some gypsies back home who did exactly that and managed to turn there lives around. The two daughters went to my old school. Okay, so one of them did spit on my foot once, but at least they got a basic education.
    most of them now sell generators.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:

There are plenty of permament Romany sites round here - put up by the council. They're not all thieves, I went to school with many of them and many of them hold down legitimate jobs.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    most of them have seriously immaculate trailers and plenty of wedge.
  • Options
    most of them have seriously immaculate trailers and plenty of wedge.

Yes they do dodge taxes. There's no doubt about that.
    And they're all seem to be tree surgeons and gardeners.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Yes they do dodge taxes. There's no doubt about that.
    And they're all seem to be tree surgeons and gardeners.
    and generator salesmen.