Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Street Crime

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it just me, or is it really worrying?

I'm really paranoid on the streets: crossing roads if someone looks slightly dodgy, always putting my phone in my bag, finding the best possible escape route...

Am I overreacting? Or is it something other people worry about too?

Comments

• Options
    Maybe you'd make a good spy.
  • Options
    Fear doesn't stop danger for coming...

If one day it is you turn to be a victim, you'll be, no need to be to paranoid...

But in some places I am careful too, it depends where you go...

But it is worst and worst that's for sure...
  • Options
    I make sure I never travel home on my own. I used to be really stupid and think because I was 'grown up' (i was 16) it would be ok if I walked home past the park on my own at night, now I wouldnt dream of doing it becuase I wiser than that. I cant believe how stupid I used to be about this stuff. Now I dont care if I put someone out and get them to walk me home, my personal saftey is more important than my pride.
  • Options
    There really is only a few quite dangerous areas of the UK, largely you are relatively safe wandering about unless you're stupid about it and wave hundreds of pounds worth of electronics around.
  • Options
    I have a criminal mind - not that I am a criminal, I just see the world in the same way that they do. Walking down the street I see things in terms of dangers and opportunities. The best way of avoiding street crime is to become less of an opportunity and more of a danger, should anyone try to mug you.

I've been involved in a street attacks before. Six big lads, by supprise, from behind, in the dark, 10 feet from my front door. It was very unfair, I know, but I had a bad day at work that day so I made an example of them :) I have also recieved stitches from blocking a bottle in a pub fight (I deflected it away from my neck/chest, but it slicled my hand open) - since then I have learnt to look big and small depending on the crowds.

I think you have a suspicious personality - Its a good thing.
  • Options
    If you look scared you are immediately a target.
  • Options
    If you look scared you are immediately a target.

So true :yes:
  • Options
    pah, it's not as bad as it's made out to be. when there's a story in the paper about someone getting mugged or whatever people tend to think 'omg i'm next'. the media tend to blow it out of proportion. and like others have said, chances are if you act like you're nervous you'll come across as being an 'easy target'. walk with your head held high and you'll probably find you wouldn't be targetted. but like i say the chances of it happening anyway are quite slim.
  • Options
    i don't live in the safest of neigbourhoods but I've never had any trouble myself, nor have I seen anything that bad, lots of yellow police signs down my high street though, i wouldn't like to be a woman walking around after dark here.......as has been said, just don't go flashing your new mobile phone around, don't walk through certain estates and alleys, stay in well lit areas where possible and don't make yourself a target.......if you are worried maybe take some self defense lessons?.....
  • Options
    I have a criminal mind - not that I am a criminal, I just see the world in the same way that they do. Walking down the street I see things in terms of dangers and opportunities. The best way of avoiding street crime is to become less of an opportunity and more of a danger, should anyone try to mug you.

Thats very similar to me. These muggers arent going to go near you if you look like you'd be able to defend yourself. Stand tall and make people scared of you
  • Options
    i always try and look confident, but not confrontational if im out on my own at night.
    Im more careful with my bag and stuff if im in a city. I feel safer if im around my home town for some reason (probably false sense of security) but ive never been mugged or attacked yet.
  • Options
    Thats weird i actually feel more worrid in my own city possibly because i know the danger areas and see the local news
  • Options
    There are dodgy areas in any town or city up and down the country that you have to have your wits about you in. It's true what people say though, if you look shit scared you're more likely to be attacked.

The trick is to not act cocky but to act as if, if need be, you can hold your ground and not take any shit. Only the other day I was taking my ps2 with a big bunch of games into town to sell for a bit of pocket money and two blacks lads shouted "oi!" to me (obviously spotting my bulging bag with ps2 inside it) while walking through a dingy underpass that's pretty dodgy at the best of times. If i'd have run or acted shit scared chances are I would have got mugged, but I stood my ground and went "what..?". The walked up to me and asked where I was going, I told them and asked 'em what it was to them.

They were trying to be intimidating, but turned out they were alright and were just trying to do the same as me, sell an mp3 player they had for a bit of pocket money (though it was probably robbed) but didn't have any ID. In the end, we walked down to the shop, had a bit of a chat and I made a nice crisp fiver for selling it for them - get in! :p

Like animals, they'll smell fear. Don't let them have the satisfaction.
  • Options
    z0ma wrote:
    They were trying to be intimidating, but turned out they were alright and were just trying to do the same as me, sell an mp3 player they had for a bit of pocket money (though it was probably robbed) but didn't have any ID. In the end, we walked down to the shop, had a bit of a chat and I made a nice crisp fiver for selling it for them - get in! :p.

So you're selling stolen goods now, you cant sink much lower can you.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    So you're selling stolen goods now, you cant sink much lower can you.

It's not what it sounds like! They just needed an extra tenner for another rock of crack.
  • Options
    z0ma wrote:
    It's not what it sounds like! They just needed an extra tenner for another rock of crack.

Which I'm sure you were only happy to provide. You're a sucker fish arent you, feeding on the depraved scraps which fall down to your level.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Which I'm sure you were only happy to provide. You're a sucker fish arent you, feeding on the depraved scraps which fall down to your level.
    He's such a terrible kid, is our z0ma.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

It's a nasty job but someone has to provide the service!

0095-0509-2414-2943_SM2.jpg

"Sucking the half-arsed morals and conscience from low-lives in a town near you!"
  • Options
    z0ma wrote:
    It's a nasty job but someone has to provide the service!

0095-0509-2414-2943_SM2.jpg

"Sucking the half-arsed morals and conscience from low-lives in a town near you!"

Morals! You'd have to know what they even vaguely looked like before you could have anything to do with them. You've wallowed in sin and depravity for so long I doubt you can even understand normal emotions.

That picture does look a bit like you, the mouth looks very similar.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Morals! You'd have to know what they even vaguely looked like before you could have anything to do with them. You've wallowed in sin and depravity for so long I doubt you can even understand normal emotions.

That picture does look a bit like you, the mouth looks very similar.

That's simply not true. I detect jealousy.
  • Options
    He's such a terrible kid, is our z0ma.

And you! You can close it before it even opens y'hear.

We know your type. There's only one motive behind you working at the chemists, and it's disgusting.
  • Options
    z0ma wrote:
    That's simply not true. I detect jealousy.

Jealous? Of your looks?
  • Options
    z0ma wrote:
    And you! You can close it before it even opens y'hear.

You cant silence us all z0ma, we know what you're really like. The noose is tightening.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    You cant silence us all z0ma, we know what you're really like. The noose is tightening.

I have contacts. The Yardies will soon be aware of your route back from work, watch our back.

And I'm not into your dodgy asphyxiation fetishes. I'll stick to that other one you have a passion for thankyou (see you at 3.30).
  • Options
    z0ma wrote:
    And I'm not into your dodgy asphyxiation fetishes.

You wont know till you try.
  • Options
    zebide wrote:
    Is it just me, or is it really worrying?

I'm really paranoid on the streets: crossing roads if someone looks slightly dodgy, always putting my phone in my bag, finding the best possible escape route...

Am I overreacting? Or is it something other people worry about too?

Yes you're overreacting.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I am a tad paranoid... but I try not to show fear.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I am a tad paranoid... but I try not to show fear.

Gotta quit the smoke then mate! ;)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    turlough wrote:
    Gotta quit the smoke then mate! ;)
    Never!
    I am just paranoid anyways...
  • Options
    walking home from work at night scares me sometimes.

i just walk quickly and dont get my mobile out or anything

i live to close to get a taxi so i dont really have much choice,