Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Street Crime

2»

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Just cos your paranoid doesn't mean it aint true. :D

But seriosuly, I don't think I'm ever worried walking about down.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Im only ever worried when I'm about town is when I'm in an area where I know there's quite a few lads after me there so I keep a look around myself there but otherwise I don't care.
  • Options
    I have a criminal mind - not that I am a criminal, I just see the world in the same way that they do. Walking down the street I see things in terms of dangers and opportunities. The best way of avoiding street crime is to become less of an opportunity and more of a danger, should anyone try to mug you.

I've been involved in a street attacks before. Six big lads, by supprise, from behind, in the dark, 10 feet from my front door. It was very unfair, I know, but I had a bad day at work that day so I made an example of them :) I have also recieved stitches from blocking a bottle in a pub fight (I deflected it away from my neck/chest, but it slicled my hand open) - since then I have learnt to look big and small depending on the crowds.

I think you have a suspicious personality - Its a good thing.

Totally agree with this. Twice in the last 6 months i've had people start on me, and i was doing fuck all on both occasions except minding my own business.

Another point i'd add would be to differentiate between mugggers and people looking for a fight. Muggers will look for the easiest, most submissive-looking target, people looking to kick fuck out of someone may be more inclined towards someone on their own but who looks like they might not back down. You can't have a fight with someone who runs off.

Also...whether a bit of swagger and confidence will ward off someone looking to fight is largely dependent on whether you can carry it off. A bespecled, lightly-built student who's swaggering down the street trying to look capable of handing himself is more likely to invite trouble than if he was acting normally as people may resent what they see as a "challenge" from someone who in their eyes isn't - so they'll want to put them in their place. It all depends if you can pull it off.
  • Options
    Where I am it totally depends. If you're sensible you're ok, but if I went for a walk at the wrong time in the wrong place I know from experience that there'd likely be trouble. I'm not trying to sound dramatic, just that from experience there are definate 'gangs' of people who seem to look attract trouble.

And its not really town at night, its tame there, its out in the villages in the parks mainly. There will be groups of kids, but theres usually older people (20 year olds and stuff) who've bought them alcohol, and theres normally one cocky twat 16 yr old boy who has a go, and then they all join in. Best avoided :yes:. One of my friends said something back to them once, and they beat the shit of him, broke his jaw & nose.

When I was more naive to it I used to walk through said parks, but the amount of hassle you get by doing it regularly its just not worth it, having to scarper when a couple of lads are chasing you (im tiny and would break like a stick in a fight) isnt my idea of a good night. I dont know if the police have cracked down on it yet anyway, as I've avoided the local hangouts for quite a while now.