Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Pill ... types

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know there are various forms of contraceptive pills.

I was on Microgynon but that has been changed to Cilest ... whats everyone else on? I know side affects can be boobs growing and my old ones didnt do that but i think my new ones might be ... YAY!

Does anyone know how many types of the pill there are?

Comments

• Options
    To be honest there are quite a few and new one comin out aswell, Im on cilest and its not made my boobs grow but it does give me headaches at the beginning of the packet each month... I was looking to change and she told me this new one im gonna go back and try it i think next month cuz Ive been on Cilest bout 2 1/2 years and I get these headaches practically every month....just goes to show how everyones different... Microgynon made me put on a bit of weight and my skin go quite bad..
  • Options
    Microgynon sucks. Made me have so many spots I'm afraid to go out the house. Have been moved back to Diannette - but still spotty at present. There are million of different pills, some suit you and some don't.
    xx
  • Options
    i was on microgynon for 7 years, which suited me down to the ground, and even made my hair and skin look great, but i had real trouble remembering it, so i swapped to the evra patch last year, and we get on great too :)

i think my body just really likes the hormones.
  • Options
    Microgynon sucks. Made me have so many spots I'm afraid to go out the house. Have been moved back to Diannette - but still spotty at present. There are million of different pills, some suit you and some don't.
    xx

microgynon has seriously cleaned up my skin it's fab :) possible boob growth too! been on it for 3 1/2 months, haven't tried any others.
  • Options
    On cilest, really improved my skin and hair, got rid of my two weeks of depressive PMT every month/six weeks (i used to have very irregular periods!), and I think after 4 months its making my boobs get bigger. I ahev no idea why I didnt start taking the pill earlier.
  • Options
    the ones i know are microgynon, ovranette, ovran, brevinor, cilest, loestrin20, and yasmin

simply because i have tried them all :razz: cant remember the names of the others i tried though
  • Options
    I'm on Cilest. It's the only one I've ever been on, coming up for 7 years this september. The only bad side effect I've had was reducing my libido, but that's made up for by easier periods and bigger boobs!
  • Options
    I am on microgynon and as I believe dear Kaffrin said, my body seems to really like the hormones.

Got bigger boooobies - definite plus, a shorter period in my first 7 day break, and I felt none of the pain I used to. My skin does play up...but, not to any more extent then what it used to. I'm happy, slightly nervous as I intend to run my next pack and the one after together as I don't want a period in between (holiday!) and im scared it won't work!
  • Options
    I'm on Noriday its a proestrogen only pill, I had to go on this because microgynon made my blood pressure go high. The only problem I've got with it is that I have only got 3hours to remember to take it.
  • Options
    I'm on yasmin, that reminds me, aint took it yet, anyway, i find that this pill is very good and has little side effects
  • Options
    I'm on Ovranette. I had the worst mood swings ever with Microgynon so had to switch - haven't noticed any benefits like better hair/skin or bigger boobs (don't I just wish) but the mood swings are much better so I don't really mind :)
  • Options
    I'm on Microgynon, and I don't like it that much. I changed from Ovranette because of the supply problem with it, and I'm having problems that could be linked to it, so I might try and change it again.
  • Options
    I was on Microgynon. It made me quite moody, gave me period pains when I wasn't having a period and I was really hungry all the time.

I'm now on Loestrin 20. It's much better, although I think it's made me put on a bit of weight. Nothing major though. I also hardly ever get periods, which is a bonus. (I've checked this out with the doctor, and it's a known side effect).
  • Options
    I'm on logynon and honestly it gave me no bad side effects what so ever. Periods are much lighter and they are shorter, however you can't run one pack on after another. No headaches, unfortunatly no bigger boobs :( but i actually lost more weight on it and my skin cleared up quite a bit. :yes:
  • Options
    there are like 23 diff types...im goin to get the pill today anyone got any suggestions about which one i should get.also theres some shit about being a smoker and the pill?!?!?! whats it all about...x :heart:
  • Options
    Smoking whilst on the pill can leave you at a higher risk of Thrombosis, and you're heavily advised to stop smoking if you're older than 35 and on the pill. That's what it says in the Dianete booklet anyway.

No-one can reccommend which pill you should try, as different people react to different pills in different ways. I found most of my friends were started on Microgynon 20. I was too, then moved to Cilest cos my skin was awful and I'd put on lots of weight. Cilest turned me into a hormonal, angry beast that no-one wanted to be around, so now I'm on Dianete.

It all comes down to what works for you. :)
  • Options
    yeh im now on mircogynon 30... but its making me sick!!!not physically i just feel sick all the time like i could throw up but i dont.do u think this is just my body responding?im worried and feeling shitty!!!
  • Options
    xpinkicex wrote:
    yeh im now on mircogynon 30... but its making me sick!!!not physically i just feel sick all the time like i could throw up but i dont.do u think this is just my body responding?im worried and feeling shitty!!!

it did that to me at first, but i stopped feeling sick after a few days. apparently if you take a travel sickness pill it can help.
  • Options
    Microgycon and Ovranette are exactly the same pill so I'm surprised people have been advised to switch from one to the other. I started with Ovranette because my doctor said it was cheaper to supply than microgycon, then when I got to uni they gave me microgycon, I just assumed they'd given me the wrong pill when I opened the bag but they said it is exactly the same pill, just marketed under a different name.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    it did that to me at first, but i stopped feeling sick after a few days. apparently if you take a travel sickness pill it can help.
    thank you thank you thank you!!! luckily we had some travel sickness pills and i feel fine now!!!xoxox :birthday: :heart:
  • Options
    Pink Soda wrote:
    Microgycon and Ovranette are exactly the same pill

:no: i was on microgycon for endometriosis and it didnt help, then my doctor put me on ovranette and it worked a hell of alot better for what i need it for
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    :no: i was on microgycon for endometriosis and it didnt help, then my doctor put me on ovranette and it worked a hell of alot better for what i need it for

apparently it's true:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/womenshealth/207076.html

why you would make 2 identical pills with different names, i've no idea, but they are one and the same.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I was on Microgynon for about 3 years and it was alright until I had a wee bit of funnyness. Switched to Cilest and I didn't like it and have been on Mercilon for about a year now. Apparently Cilest and Mercilon are low hormone types.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    apparently it's true:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/womenshealth/207076.html

why you would make 2 identical pills with different names, i've no idea, but they are one and the same.

that makes absolutely no sense, there must be a tiny bit of difference or else why does microgycon not work for me, and ovranette does

*is confused*
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    that makes absolutely no sense, there must be a tiny bit of difference or else why does microgycon not work for me, and ovranette does

*is confused*

not sure, but the ingredients list reads identically, so i guess not.
  • Options
    I was on the pill for about 3 years but stopped taking it 2 years ago. I was on Ovysmen which ive never heaqrd mentioned by anyone else. Didnt notive any good or bad side effects. I tried Dianette to see if it would improve my skin but it didnt( if anything, went worse) so went back to Ovysmen.
  • Options
    I've been on Microgynon 30 for about 2 years now. I still have really bad PMT and period pain. Though, my periods are regular as clockwork and ever so slightly shorter.

Ilora x
  • Options
    I'm on femodette its low in oestrogen. I was on microgynon 30 but i kept getting thrush hence the lower pill. Been on it a year and half now and it's been fine.
  • Options
    I was on microgynon 30 and it also gave me thrush... in fact i still have it ! GRRRR ! Well, i'm now on mercilon and it's just making me have breakthrough bleeding, so back i go this week to sort it out ! Seriously i think i'd rather just not have a pill !
  • Options
    just started microgynon, its pretty good so far although i have a had a couple of nauseas (sp?) days, and about a 2 week period...not fun, but i'm hoping by the time i reach my first break it would have calmed down.