Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mrsa

I found out today that my nana has MRSA. They said she's had it for about a week and I dont understadn why we haddent been told. My grandad has been going there twice daily ever since she was admitted and I ask everytime I'm there how she is medically. When I asked the nurse last night he said medicaly she wasnt very well and that you could tell that just by looking at her face. I didnt find that an acceptable answer so when I was there at lunch time today I asked again but a different nurse and she went on to say that the their just trying to fight the infection. It took me 5 mins to get it out of her and i'm appalled. I dont even really know what it is, all I know is that it kills people becuase their isnt any medacine for it:(

I dont want my nana to die:( :crying:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not to sure what to say, but just wanted to bring you my support.
    I hope you Nana will be ok.
  • Options
    The reason you hadn't been told is probably because the hospital doesn't want to admit it. By saying that it's there, they're confessing it exists in their hospital. I believe hospitals are in denial about the scale of the problem.

Thinking of you at a difficult time.
  • Options
    it doesn't always kill people - it depends what part of the body is affected. my mum has had it, and is fine now.

ask to speak to her consultant, or at least one of the doctors, and get them to explain exactly what is happening, and what they are going to do about it. you are family, so they should be able to tell you. you all have a right to know what the deal is.

i hope your nan is ok x
  • Options
    where is her MRSA?
    40% of the population carry MRSA in their body harmlessly at any given time. its only when it gets into open wounds and/or the person has a compromised immune system anyway that there is generally a problem with it.
    Theyll be giving her strong antibiotics untill its gone. Most people recover fine. In the meantime, make sure everyone washes their hands thoroughly and follows all the extra infection control procedures.
    There are medicines for it. The reason its hard to treat is because the most commonly used antibiotic doesnt work on MRSA - its become resistant to it (superbug), hence the name Methicillan-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus. They have to use a stronger more expensive antibiotic instead (i forget the name)
    Dont fret too much honey. I know its been sensationalised in the papers and everything but loads of people get MRSA, in and out of hospital and for most people it isnt a problem.
  • Options
    thinking of you, hope she will be ok :) xx
  • Options
    Just wanted to chime in on what's already been said, MRSA is by no means a death sentence and I'm sure the hospital are doing all they can to make her better.

Am thinking of you and your family though, especially your Nana.
  • Options
    Oh hun. I can't really comment, but just know I'm thinking of you and hopeing the best for your nana and your family.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your replys guys. Means alot:) I'll findout at some point tomorrow where it is. I think she got the infection because she just had a leg amputation and the wound wont have healed up yet. I hate the hopsital she's in but all the others in the area are worse :(
  • Options
    Yup, what Rainbow said is right, and the most likely AB is vancomycin, although there are others. I am in no way defending the hospital, but pointing fingers isn't going to help your gran, it could have quite easily been your grandad that brought it in. That is one of the major problems of MRSA* and any other infection - tracking the source is nigh on impossible. As RB said, wash your hands before and after leaving the room, and avoid contact (I know it is hard).

Hopefully, she can fight it and get home to you all as soon as possible.

*Now called, Multiple Resistant Staphylococcus Aureas.
  • Options
    you are family, so they should be able to tell you. you all have a right to know what the deal is.

Sorry but that is a common mis-conception that families have automatic rights to medical information. It is up to her Gran to either tell her family or give authorisation for them to be told by medical or nursing staff.
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    Sorry but that is a common mis-conception that families have automatic rights to medical information. It is up to her Gran to either tell her family or give authorisation for them to be told by medical or nursing staff.

if her nan is not being told anything then someone needs to fight her corner.

and when i was in hospital, my mum, cousin and uncle were told pretty much everything about me and what was happening anytime they asked, and although i didn't mind them knowing, i was never asked if i minded. in fact, no one seemed to give a shiznit what i thought about anything. in any case, they sure as bollocks weren't telling me anything, so someone had to find out.

that said, from what zella is saying i took it to mean that she wanted someone to explain everything to her nan more than to her. it's pretty shocking when it takes your granddaughter chasing nurses to find out what the hell is wrong with you.
  • Options
    Perhaps we need a thread on Streptococcus pneumoniae as well, just to be thorough. But I guess the Daily Mail is less vocal about that.
  • Options
    :wave: Hello Stranger
  • Options
    My nana had a stroke in the summber and isnt fully there any more. My mum is now her legal advocate (cant think of the right word but it means she can sign for her and stuff).
    I know my nan wouldnt have been told by the doctors because they dont really talk to her, but my grandad should have been. I really cant aviod contact with her, because I have to feed and water her when I'm there, because the nurses dont have much time to sit with her and do it so she gets the daily minimum. Even the tea ladys puts my nanas drinks out of reach:(
  • Options
    Zella wrote:
    My nana had a stroke in the summber and isnt fully there any more. My mum is now her legal advocate (cant think of the right word but it means she can sign for her and stuff).
    I know my nan wouldnt have been told by the doctors because they dont really talk to her, but my grandad should have been. I really cant aviod contact with her, because I have to feed and water her when I'm there, because the nurses dont have much time to sit with her and do it so she gets the daily minimum. Even the tea ladys puts my nanas drinks out of reach:(

She's very lucky to have somebody like you there for her.
  • Options
    My grandad caught MRSA from a hospital when he had his hip replaced 5 years ago and he is now cured of it. It doesn't mean your nana will die and there are treatments that combat it if it is caught early so don't worry. I hope this helps a little.
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:

I totally agree with this...unless you are a parent of a minor, or are the legally appointed advocate of an adult, you have no right to be told what is wrong with your relative by the nursing staff. At work i have so many stroppy people, in both person and on the phone who have a moan cos i wont give out information about patients. I always advise them to talk to the legal guardian, which some dont like...but hey i dot make the rules :no:

Seems like you are a really close family tho, and im sure if your mum asked what was going on she would be updated. As the others said MRSA is by no means a death sentance, and although the media focus on the tragic patients who die from complications related to contracting MRSA, they fail to outline the thousands of people who are successfully cured...as others have said just remmeber to employ good handwashing techniques both before and after contact with your gran, and make sure you use the alcohol gel provided to clean your hands after washing them. Hope she gets better soon :wave:
  • Options
    At work i have so many stroppy people, in both person and on the phone who have a moan cos i wont give out information about patients. I always advise them to talk to the legal guardian, which some dont like...but hey i dot make the rules :no:

yes, people will get stroppy, which you can understand, no? yes, maybe to the medical staff it's just another patient, but to the relatives that is their mother/grandmother/aunt/friend/whatever in that bed, and i can assure you they do not give a crap what the rules say, they just want their loved one to get sorted out as quickly and effectively as possible.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    yes, people will get stroppy, which you can understand, no? yes, maybe to the medical staff it's just another patient, but to the relatives that is their mother/grandmother/aunt/friend/whatever in that bed, and i can assure you they do not give a crap what the rules say, they just want their loved one to get sorted out as quickly and effectively as possible.

I understand that...but you have to have rules, you cant give out confidential information to every Tom, Dick and Harry. This is why i prefer everyone enquiring about patients, who are not the parents/legal guardians, to speak to the parent/legal guardian, who can then tell them what the score is, if they want them to know...witholding confidential information will not effect the patients recovery at all...granted relatives are stressed when relaties are ill, but taking it out on medical and nursing staff will not help the situation, and will not persuade them to reveal confiential details, which they are not allowed to disclose
  • Options
    I understand that...but you have to have rules, you cant give out confidential information to every Tom, Dick and Harry.

true. but there's also no need to be made to feel like any tom, dick or harry when you are one of the most important people in their lives, legal guardian or not.

yer, you could say it's a sticking point, at the moment :blush:
  • Options
    If you want to know something in particular, just ask. Doctors and nurses aren't mind readers, and sadly cannot always devote as much time as they should to explaining exactly what is what. 24 hours as a patient in hospital is a very long time; as a member of staff, it is never long enough.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    true. but there's also no need to be made to feel like any tom, dick or harry when you are one of the most important people in their lives, legal guardian or not.

yer, you could say it's a sticking point, at the moment :blush:

I know but unfortunately rules are rules...i dont make anyone feel like "any tom, dick or harry", cos that would be mean :( You dont have to agree with the rules of your work place, you just need to abide by them, otherwise your P45 could be winging it's way to you. Unfortunately in my area of work, giving information to anyone but the child's legal guardian could, in the most extreme of cases, could be seen as a breach of the data protection act! Sad but true :no: ...and anyway, through experiences of being stuck in the middle of family disputes on the ward (eg. i dont want his/her aunt, gran etc etc to know he/she is here, or what is wrong with them, cos we dont get on etc etc!) it is much easier for the family to do the communicating.
    I'm not saying Zella should not be informed of her Gran's condtion, jus saying that the damn rules mean the medical staff are not obliged to discuss it with her

PS Zella we are not tring to hijkack your thread ;) Let us know how your Gran is getting on
  • Options
    Dont hospitals usually advise families to nominate one person to be updated on their relatives condition so they can inform the rest of the family?
    You cant expect doctors and nurses to repeat themselves to each visitor when they have things to do.
    Its what we had to do when my Nan was in hospital, especially when she was in HDU, but maybe that was just them particular hospitals.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    Dont hospitals usually advise families to nominate one person to be updated on their relatives condition so they can inform the rest of the family?

This happens a lot at the hospital where I work, and when it works its a great system. Unfortunatly its quite often the case where not everyone in the familt talks to each other or gets along, meaning the ward might get 7 or 8 calls about one patient on a particular morning. Hope your Gran is doing better Zella x
  • Options
    I have a cold atm do you think i should go an see her? I miss her and i'm worried about stuff cos my grandad hasnt called me. I didnt want to start a new thread and explain again so i'm bumping this one up
  • Options
    I don't think it should matter, as long as you wash your hands before and after visiting her, try not to touch her, and obviously don't sneeze or cough anywhere near her (or indeed any of the other patients or staff).
  • Options
    Hi, so sorry to hear about your nana zella, hope she gets better. Im a student nurse and am working in a hospital at the moment with patients with MRSA and seriously it is not a death scentence! the three patients that have it are all elderly and are fine and coping with it well. It's just hard to treat due to the fact its resistant too all but two antibiotics, but it is treatable and does not mean you will have it all your life! You should be fine going with a cold, but i would make sure you wash your hands before going in and coming out, but if you feel that your immune system is too low and don't want to risk it then don't go, im sure your nana will understand. Also many hospitals want to keep it quiet because they don't want other patients and relatives to find that there is MRSA on the ward, and doctors are rubbish at taking to patients/relatives they don't see the person just the problem. They will only talk about the patient when it suits them most of the time. Best thing to do is read the medical notes at the end of the bed to help you keep up to date with your nanas care, as there will be a communication sheet in there.
  • Options
    In my hospital we call it "Mrs. A" so not to frighten the patients and rellies.
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    In my hospital we call it "Mrs. A" so not to frighten the patients and rellies.

Yeah, the nurses at are hospital call it 'Mrs M', but you always get the random doctor shouting it out infront of everyone :rolleyes:
  • Options
    How helpful of them, way to not spead the panic