Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

When universities say they want to increase internationalism

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
surely international student by their nature tend to come from wealthy backgrounds?

the only students i see who have real problems with day to day finances are the UK students at my university, surely the univerisities are doing this just to increase the money they're getting, not for any real academic reason?

my university for example along with oxbridge is increasing the amount of non-eu based students to 40% over the next few years - it's turning it into a international finishing school for the elite imo since most of these students just piss off to america or their home country after

surely the other countries should be investing in their own universities? there are some mighty fine universities in the developing world

Comments

• Options
    But they bring funds into the university which contribute to the overall qality of education + they make the university a better place culture wise.

Also you will notice that a very large portion of academic staff in the UK are foreign, surely the fact that we 'pinch' so many foreign academics means we should return the favour and educate their students.

A way of rephrasing the problme might be, why do so few UK students go to study abroard rather than why do so many come from abroard to study here?

Higher education is one of the UKs most successful industries, we should embrace this fact.....
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Higher education is one of the UKs most successful industries

That's the problem, right there.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    But they bring funds into the university which contribute to the overall qality of education + they make the university a better place culture wise.

Also you will notice that a very large portion of academic staff in the UK are foreign, surely the fact that we 'pinch' so many foreign academics means we should return the favour and educate their students.

A way of rephrasing the problme might be, why do so few UK students go to study abroard rather than why do so many come from abroard to study here?

Higher education is one of the UKs most successful industries, we should embrace this fact.....

the poaching that exists, only exists on people at the top of their fields really...

i'm learning in my home city, which very multi-cultural as it is, so we dont need to 'top it up' in any sense, in the the london borough next to my university (Camden) i'm sure there's plenty of bright children with huge potential who will never see the life as a student at my university

the globalisation of the higher education sector as we know it is an excuse for international rich kids

viewing it purely as an industry makes the problem worse also....
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    That's the problem, right there.

Another brilliant post, well done.....
  • Options
    the poaching that exists, only exists on people at the top of their fields really...

i'm learning in my home city, which very multi-cultural as it is, so we dont need to 'top it up' in any sense, in the the london borough next to my university (Camden) i'm sure there's plenty of bright children with huge potential who will never see the life as a student at my university

the globalisation of the higher education sector as we know it is an excuse for international rich kids

viewing it purely as an industry makes the problem worse also....

But your argument only makes sense if you can show me that the university sector is 'full' in some way so that British people are being turned away, and that universities are selecting people on their ability to pay rather than there aptitude, neither of which is true, which leaves your arguments in atters.....

Higher education is a global industry, going back on this would be disastrous. We should be happy that so many people want to come here because it show that we have a world class higher education system.

Britian probably has the second best university sector in the world, we should be happy about that.

You are in danger of sounding like a right-wing immigration basher.......
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    But your argument only makes sense if you can show me that the university sector is 'full' in some way so that British people are being turned away, and that universities are selecting people on their ability to pay rather than there aptitude, neither of which is true, which leaves your arguments in atters.....

Higher education is a global industry, going back on this would be disastrous. We should be happy that so many people want to come here because it show that we have a world class higher education system.

Britian probably has the second best university sector in the world, we should be happy about that.

You are in danger of sounding like a right-wing immigration basher.......

yes chinese student eat our geese :lol::lol:

seriously though it's mainly because their countries should be investing in their own higher education sector so theres larger capacity worldwide, and more competiton worldwide, which would lead to 'in theory' better quality research which is what universities do mainly to get money
  • Options
    But what is wrong with people coming here and more research being concentrated here, why don't more UK kids go abroard?

Do you know any British people who considered going abroard to do there degree (other than languages) almost certainly not I would imagine, why is that?

And one of the reasons why other countries universities aren't as good is one you won't like at all, they are free.........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    But what is wrong with people coming here and more research being concentrated here
    nothing, its good for the economy, however more higher quality research would be far more desirable for the world as a whole
    why don't more UK kids go abroard?
    money - why i didn't go uni up north, because i knew if i got into trouble in london i could stay at home if need be and i like to be close to my family/school friends also
    Do you know any British people who considered going abroard to do there degree (other than languages) almost certainly not I would imagine, why is that?
    i considered it, but thought it wouldn't be worth it really as for my subject, the university i go to is one of the best in the world, despite its shabby appearance :p
    And one of the reasons why other countries universities aren't as good is one you won't like at all, they are free.........

not really, australia recently privitised theirs - ours our private bodies already, the government just gives them lump sums for taking students like a contract - it's impossible to look at the university sector as free or fully private, as a funding scheme somewhere inbetween the 2 tends to work best (why UK universities are on the up despite some funding issues, my universities debt is decreasing and has been doing so for 2/3 years now, and the top up fees system in reality still leaves the government paying mainly for the undergraduates)
  • Options
    So you support fees now, I thought you were all against them before.

University is free in Frnace and Germany and the people from there that I know consider them to be inferior to british universities, hence you more likely to find Eu students in Uk the UK students in the EU, though there are other reasons as well of course.
  • Options
    Sorry to say this, but classing all international students as rich kids, is fucking ignorant.
    Yes, I have met rich non-EU students.
    On the other hand, most of the ones I've met are here on scholarships and the likes and haven't had money to go home for the one month long christmas vacation. So basically, they've been living in what resembles a ghost town, as so many people here are students who've gone home for the vacation.
    A guy I spoke to hadn't even been home once since he started uni 2½ years ago, and won't until he finishes his degree.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    That's [universities in Britain being amongst the best] the problem, right there.
    This nearly rivals John Prescott's statement of "if a school opens, and it's successful, the danger is everyone will want to go there" in its stupidity.
  • Options
    I considered applying to US universities for a while and might still do in a gap year and do so but for most good American universities I’d need to take US qualifications SAT I’s and SAT II’s. Given how British unis are so flexible with international qualifications it seems somewhat odd that unis in the US aren’t the same. My teacher explained the difference is because many good US universities will provide massive amounts of funding to applicants in financial aid, even international students if they need it so want to make sure they’re getting the right people. British unis meanwhile he claimed, even some good ones aren’t particularly fussy academically when it comes to non-EU students since they bring in a lot more money. Therefore implying that British unis are willing to compromise their integrity and standards to get more money. Don't know how true this is but it would make sense.
  • Options
    Many people dislike the suggestion that universities will take in more full-fee international students and, therefore, fewer Home/EU ones. That's understandable, but it's pretty much unavoidable in the current funding system for our universities.

Basically, our universities do not have enough money. I'm involved in student representation at the uni where I'm doing a doctorate, and was similarly involved at the university where I did my undergraduate degree. The current university is an ex-polytechnic with ambition to perform well in the second division of UK higher education, challenging some far-longer established universities. My previous university is in the Russell Group (if it is still called that?)

At both of them I have sat in meetings discussing how each department can achieve a budged cut. One was 5%, the other 3%. Every department, spending less money - after inflation, so an even larger cut in real terms - than the previous year. When a member of staff leaves my current university the post is frozen for 3 months to save money.

Unless we significantly increase public money going to universites from central taxation, or significantly increase the fees paid by home/EU students, or increase the number of full-fee international students, our universities will quite quickly lose the ability to teach anyone effectively.

New halls of residence? Refurbished bars? Data-projectors in lecture theatres? Office hours with tutors for one-to-one advice on a problem? Up-to date computers in the computer rooms? All of these things and more cost money and are significant cause for student complaint when they're not there. Something has to bring in more money, and probably the least painful one is the increased recruitment of overseas students. Plus, it's the one which can make university a more exciting and diverse place to study, so it gets my vote!
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    So you support fees now, I thought you were all against them before.

University is free in Frnace and Germany and the people from there that I know consider them to be inferior to british universities, hence you more likely to find Eu students in Uk the UK students in the EU, though there are other reasons as well of course.

my views on actual funding are rather complicated, since i support having fees to an extent, but the government should partially fund also at the same time
  • Options
    Which of course it does, even with topup fees the majority of university funding will come from the government......
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Which of course it does, even with topup fees the majority of university funding will come from the government......

im not on about the top up scheme as we know it :banghead:

anyway was on the phone, i said what you said a bit earlier - i swear before i devised an entire system of university undergraduate funding
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Another brilliant post, well done.....

Oh for fucks sake, do I have to spell everything out in words of one syllable? Aren't you bright enough to read between the lines or think about things?

For the hard of thinking - treating education as an "industry" (i.e. a commodity, driven by profit and market forces) and the subsequent cutting of government subsidy, leads to universities having to find other ways to get their income. One way is to increase the amount of foreign students as they pay large fees to study.

There? That better?
  • Options
    Actually I agree Blagsta, I actually know what you are going to say to everything because you are so predictable, so you don't actually need to post anything at all because we all know what you will say........

How on earth can you not treat university like an industry? It has workers and costs to meet, premises to manage etc, or does the word offend you so much that it must be burned out o your conscience?

How exactly does 'treating it like an industry' lead to cutting of govt subsidy (evidence?)

Of course education is a commodity, it takes resources to provide it thus it is a commodity......
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    For the hard of thinking - treating education as an "industry" (i.e. a commodity, driven by profit and market forces) and the subsequent cutting of government subsidy, leads to universities having to find other ways to get their income. One way is to increase the amount of foreign students as they pay large fees to study.

There? That better?

Private American universities get very limited government subsidies yet don't have to resort to accepting 'sub-standard' international students to get more money.

Btw, I am not saying international students are sub-standard because that’s obviously not true. I’m referring to the accusation made by some (not me personally as I don’t know enough about this) that some British universities accept someone simply because they’re an international student and will bring in more money – and so wouldn’t have accepted them were they a British student paying less.
  • Options
    I don't think that is true in my exoerience, the distribution of ability over the international students I have known has been no worse, and quite probably better, than the domestic students.......
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    This nearly rivals John Prescott's statement of "if a school opens, and it's successful, the danger is everyone will want to go there" in its stupidity.

If it was what I actually wrote. But it isn't is it?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Actually I agree Blagsta, I actually know what you are going to say to everything because you are so predictable, so you don't actually need to post anything at all because we all know what you will say........

How on earth can you not treat university like an industry? It has workers and costs to meet, premises to manage etc, or does the word offend you so much that it must be burned out o your conscience?

How exactly does 'treating it like an industry' lead to cutting of govt subsidy (evidence?)

Of course education is a commodity, it takes resources to provide it thus it is a commodity......

So the "market" knows best eh? You can judge the success (or othewise) of everything in the world by how profitable it is?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    I don't think that is true in my exoerience, the distribution of ability over the international students I have known has been no worse, and quite probably better, than the domestic students.......

I guess it’s something that will probably vary between universities. I believe the teacher I know who claimed that to be the case did their PhD at UCL or KCL so perhaps London unis are worse in their opinion. Don’t really know though but from the universities point of view the uni is always going to need more money and so naturally they will favour international students somewhat. For instance I know of people with outstanding grades accepted by Oxford that were rejected by LSE – and an Israeli student with a pretty average IB mark who was accepted to LSE. Not exactly evidence but certain unis like LSE definitely would seem to favour international students because it results in more money.
  • Options
    I guess it’s something that will probably vary between universities. I believe the teacher I know who claimed that to be the case did their PhD at UCL or KCL so perhaps London unis are worse in their opinion. Don’t really know though but from the universities point of view the uni is always going to need more money and so naturally they will favour international students somewhat. For instance I know of people with outstanding grades accepted by Oxford that were rejected by LSE – and an Israeli student with a pretty average IB mark who was accepted to LSE. Not exactly evidence but certain unis like LSE definitely would seem to favour international students because it results in more money.

LSE take in more than 50% international students

i know of people rejected however because they were good at taking exams but not much else, especially for things like medicine/law
  • Options
    surely international student by their nature tend to come from wealthy backgrounds?

the only students i see who have real problems with day to day finances are the UK students at my university, surely the univerisities are doing this just to increase the money they're getting, not for any real academic reason?
    International students are certainly not all from wealthy backgrounds. I knew a few Japanese students who were fairly rich, but other than that, I had friends from Portugal, Belgium and the Seychelles, and they all had the same money problems as everyone else. Whether they indirectly bring more money to the university though, is another matter.

I think language is the main reason that few British students study abroad.
  • Options
    i know of people rejected however because they were good at taking exams but not much else, especially for things like medicine/law

True, there are always some people with 14 A*’s or something and 6 or 7 A’s at A-level who thinking that gives them some kind of ‘right’ to a place at Oxbridge then get turned down.

And I’m sure that’s probably because they didn’t perform at interview or whatever and didn’t seem a well-rounded person – and that’s probably because doing 6 A-levels or something ridiculous will mean they won’t have much of a life.
  • Options
    True, there are always some people with 14 A*’s or something and 6 or 7 A’s at A-level who thinking that gives them some kind of ‘right’ to a place at Oxbridge then get turned down.

And I’m sure that’s probably because they didn’t perform at interview or whatever and didn’t seem a well-rounded person – and that’s probably because doing 6 A-levels or something ridiculous will mean they won’t have much of a life.
    I always laugh when you have those sob stories on the front of the newspaper about someone with 5 A's at A-level being rejected from certain universities. Do they not realise that thousands of other people have got straight A's? How many applicants with straight A's do Oxford/Cambridge get for every place on the course?
  • Options
    I always laugh when you have those sob stories on the front of the newspaper about someone with 5 A's at A-level being rejected from certain universities. Do they not realise that thousands of other people have got straight A's? How many applicants with straight A's do Oxford/Cambridge get for every place on the course?

Oxbridge don’t actually have a particularly high applicants/per place ratio, I think it’s about 3-4 applicants/per place. Bristol, LSE and others are far higher. Although I guess that’s because applying to Oxbridge is such a hassle people only bother if they think they can get in, although Oxbridge do complain that while they’re pressured to accept more state applicants not enough people from state schools apply.

But yeah it seems a little unfair how it’s Oxbridge that is always the victim of these sob stories from people with so many A’s who didn’t get in. I applied to Oxford and didn’t get in and like everybody else who didn’t get in I got a lengthy feedback letter from the tutors who interviewed me explaining why I didn’t get in and advice. Whereas other top universities like UCL and LSE I’m sure will have to like Oxbridge reject many candidates and from what I hear don’t give any personalised explanation to people they reject.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    For UK students who benefit from LEA funding they can only get this funding if they attend a UK university.

For some students in other countries they can get help with the cost of their university education from their own local authorities regardless of where they choose to study.

There is a guy on my course from Belgium and he get finantial support from the local government in Belgium. If I went to university there on the other hand I would get no such help from my LEA.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    For UK students who benefit from LEA funding they can only get this funding if they attend a UK university.

For some students in other countries they can get help with the cost of their university education from their own local authorities regardless of where they choose to study.

There is a guy on my course from Belgium and he get finantial support from the local government in Belgium. If I went to university there on the other hand I would get no such help from my LEA.

and when i say interational student i mean non-eu ones, as EU students just pay the maximum amount a UK student would have to pay ie £3000/year - and many european countries pay for their students, scandanavian students do VERY well, tuition fuilly paid and living costs