Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

up northness

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    briggi wrote:
    Don't make me laugh! Bradford and York are not comparable in terms of tourism.

I've been to Betty's Tearooms (twice, I'm not ashamed!) and it's not up to much really.

bradford has the museum of film and tele thingy, or at least it used to when i was a whipper.

eta: bomberman, wise up dude, your city is a tourist hotspot in this country, deal with it. also, i think saying your city centre is large is a overstatement, its about the same size as preston or something, not very large at all.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    bradford has the museum of film and tele thingy, or at least it used to when i was a whipper

Oh, well I stand corrected then :p
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    bradford has the museum of film and tele thingy, or at least it used to when i was a whipper.

eta: bomberman, wise up dude, your city is a tourist hotspot in this country, deal with it. also, i think saying your city centre is large is a overstatement, its about the same size as preston or something, not very large at all.

A tourist city is a city/town is one which revolves around tourism. Scarborough, Blackpool, Southport, etc. York does not revolve around tourism.

Preston is a dump that has everything useful concentrated in a very small area. York spreads out much more than Preston does.
  • Options
    Preston is a dump...

Too true. :yuck:
  • Options
    Aye dont know how it ever got granted city status, ive been to a hell of a lot of places in this country and its one of the worst cities going.

i just did a quick random poll in my office on york, asking what was the first thing that came to their heads when thinking of york, got a couple of viking answers, york minster, and "that scruffy little street with those houses that look like they are falling over".

they all sounds like tourist attractions to me, i dont think many people would go to york if it wasnt for these tourist sights.

not like it matters anyway, ive only been to york like 5 times all were for either footy or touristy stuff.
  • Options
    Im sure even Bradford has some tourist attractions. I have been there before for a day.

the difference is that in bradford you would go see the attraction and then get the hell out of there asap.

york is a place people go to spend a few days and look around all the sights.

that and i think having an open top bus tour pretty much confirms any status as a tourist city....

http://www.yorkpass.com/
  • Options
    York and Leeds are quite close by. You'd goto Leeds if you wanted to go shopping.
  • Options
    Bradford has the National Museum of Photography, Film and Television. Bradford has Haworth, where the Brontes lived. Bradford has the Worth Valley Railway, where the Railway Children was filmed. Bradford has some of the oldest and best curry houses in the country.

There's nowt wrong with Bradford.

York is Tourist Heaven though. The NRM is wonderful.

I like the North. Newcastle/Gateshead beats most cities up here hands down though. There's Baltic, Sage, the Laing Gallery, Hadrian's Wall (in the middle of the housing estate up the road, too:D), the Quayside, the five bridges, open-top buses. The shopping here is far superior to Leeds, and also has the added advantage of not being in Leeds. It's a little known fact that the name Leeds is derived from the Old Norse word for stinking shithole.
  • Options
    Of course you would go to York to see tourist attractions. If you were going on a day trip to York you would be a tourist.

However York has a lot more going on than tourist citys/towns like the ones I have mentioned. York is far easier to get into than Leeds and the traffic systems are not a nightmare. Also it depends on what side of York you are. If you are not on the Leeds side then are you really going to travel for another half an hour for the same shops in concrete heaven?

An open top bus suggests there are sights for tourists. It still does not mean the city it is in is purely a tourist city. If you come to York to be a tourist you will be catered for but there is much more to this city than what people see on day trips.
  • Options
    York is far easier to get into than Leeds and the traffic systems are not a nightmare.

Wye-aye.

York is a shithole to drive round. If I ever have to navigate my way around Rougier Street again in my life I will commit murder.

Leeds is easier to get into. Have you tried to get a space at Clifton park&ride after 9am? I have, it's horrific.

I'm comin' home Newcastle
    I might as well have been in jail
    I'd waak the streets aal day aal neet
    For a bottle of your own Brown Ale
  • Options
    Leeds is dead easy to get into, it's just a nightmare to get out of. Which is a shame, because that's all i really want to do when i'm there.
  • Options
    The train to Leeds is easy. I don't think anyone I work with would consider driving (unless they were on acid).

Mind you there're about 45 an hour from Bradford. Unfortunately, some of them are like B&Q Finest Shed on wheels.
  • Options
    Leeds is dead easy to get into

depends where you want to be. i've lived in leeds my whole life and still have moments when the bastarding loop gets the better of me.

it probably doesn't help that the road surfaces and markings are shoddy as hell and pretty much no-one appears to be able to drive.
  • Options
    Leeds is dead easy to get into, it's just a nightmare to get out of. Which is a shame, because that's all i really want to do when i'm there.

Oh it's splendid.
    - Lots of lovely tall buildings.
    - Those fannyish pointy haired people to laugh at.
    - Me (when I'm at work).
    - A building that once had some broken lights so the sign read "West Riding Ho". Although that's since been fixed.
    - Poncy bars.
    - A road that sounds like "Hedgegrow".
    - Edited to add - Merrion Morrisons!
    Woo.
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    - Those fannyish pointy haired people to laugh at.

They're even better to chase pigeons at.

I loved it when the pigeon bounced off the head of that day-glo orange trendy slapper. Great entertainment.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    They're even better to chase pigeons at.

I loved it when the pigeon bounced off the head of that day-glo orange trendy slapper. Great entertainment.

:D

YES!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    York is a shithole to drive round. If I ever have to navigate my way around Rougier Street again in my life I will commit murder.

Seconded! I'm taking my driving test here in two weeks time. I'd had most of my lessons in Northampton, which is also horrible to drive in, but at least I had a vague idea of where I was, and the roads are big enough to make mistakes in!

You try being told to do turn in the road and then reverse park in a road that is a steep slope ending quite sharply in the rive Ouse, where the road has cars parked along each side and just enough space for me to squeeze the Corsa through... still taking my test in York is preferable to doing that dreaded Carlsberg roundabout in Northampton. If you've ever been on it you'll know what I mean!
  • Options
    Of course you would go to York to see tourist attractions. If you were going on a day trip to York you would be a tourist.

However York has a lot more going on than tourist citys/towns like the ones I have mentioned. York is far easier to get into than Leeds and the traffic systems are not a nightmare. Also it depends on what side of York you are. If you are not on the Leeds side then are you really going to travel for another half an hour for the same shops in concrete heaven?

An open top bus suggests there are sights for tourists. It still does not mean the city it is in is purely a tourist city. If you come to York to be a tourist you will be catered for but there is much more to this city than what people see on day trips.

we never said york was purely a tourist city, we just said it was a tourist city, and i think your aobve comments just proved that fact
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Wye-aye.

Leeds is easier to get into. Have you tried to get a space at Clifton park&ride after 9am? I have, it's horrific.

It's not that bad at all. Clifton isn't the best place for park&ride I would admit. The other ones at Monks Cross and the other Tesco's are pretty large and well serviced.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    we never said york was purely a tourist city, we just said it was a tourist city, and i think your aobve comments just proved that fact

So any city with any tourist attraction is a tourist city? Thats a stupid and pointless logical definition.
  • Options
    So any city with any tourist attraction is a tourist city? Thats a stupid and pointless logical definition.

no, we defined it by the fact people want to go to york, rather than what they would do with bradford, just go somewhere for something specific
  • Options
    It's not that bad at all.

Oh, it is that bad. It's always been that bad, and I've been going to York much much longer than you;)
  • Options
    When I drive around York I find it relatively easy.

MrG that still is no more clear as a definition.
  • Options