Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

up northness

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Typical plastic northerner missing the point, pah! Not like us real Northerners that have a sense of humour ;) . It's gritty stuff round ere.

well yeh i think Barnsley would be a rough place no matter where it was :yes:
  • Options
    it's crap near bristol today too :p
  • Options
    Typical plastic northerner missing the point, pah! Not like us real Northerners that have a sense of humour ;) . It's gritty stuff round ere.

I know, is it just me or are there load of people on here who take everything too seriously? It's much different on the Man City forum I frequent.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    well yeh i think Barnsley would be a rough place no matter where it was :yes:

Hey, lets not be slagging off Barnsley. I love it there!
  • Options
    York is too posh (i.e has tourists!) to be considered the Proper North anyway.

Sheffield is many things, beautiful it is not. It is grimy - especially Brightside.
    Greenest city in england like. 3rd of it is in the peak district, botanical gardens, endcliffe park, ecclesall woods, peace gardens. There's some bits that need regenerating, but this is all getting done. Best city in england to live in, and it will be even better when all the regeneration is complete. For any sheffieldians have you seen the new path from the train station upto hallam uni? That thing looks fantastic (even if it was 3 years in the making)

And yeah the pennines stop loads of rain coming into the North East. Poor Ireland gets the worst, i went there for 2 weeks in the summer and it rained at least a little bit every day.
  • Options
    Hey, lets not be slagging off Barnsley. I love it there!

i wasnt, i was being truthful, yet sympathetic
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Sheffield is a nice city, its going through the phase that Leeds went through that has made it a fantastic city. New transport interchanges, new shopping centres, office blocks etc. Yorkshire has all the towns and cities but then between pockets of greenery, or in some cases (Sheffield, Huddersfield etc) just miles of countryside around it. London and the SE is rows and rows of same houses, same office buildings, same traffic filled roads.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Sheffield is a nice city, its going through the phase that Leeds went through that has made it a fantastic city. New transport interchanges, new shopping centres, office blocks etc. Yorkshire has all the towns and cities but then between pockets of greenery, or in some cases (Sheffield, Huddersfield etc) just miles of countryside around it. London and the SE is rows and rows of same houses, same office buildings, same traffic filled roads.

come to durham, its tiny, nothing nearby but students and green fields, and we aint bad for the transport links though
  • Options
    Yeah, but you live there, which renders it a pisscovered Hellhole :p
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Yeah, but you live there, which renders it a pisscovered Hellhole :p

better to be rendered a pisscovered hellhole, than for somewhere to allready be that way, before i even turn up, like stoke

i remember the last time i said something like that, lukesh went off it at me, big time, ahh those were the days
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    better to be rendered a pisscovered hellhole, than for somewhere to allready be that way, before i even turn up, like stoke

i remember the last time i said something like that, lukesh went off it at me, big time, ahh those were the days
    Ah yes, in your defence though, Stoke is a shitehole.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Ah yes, in your defence though, Stoke is a shitehole.

no, it 'was' a shithole, been getting gradually worse

found on google
    In all honesty you can't find a worst dump without going to the thrid world. I lived in Stoke-on-Trent for 5 year and I hated every minute of it. The city is full of white racist violent lower working class people who are uneducated and unskilled labourers and who live in nasty terraced houses. Stoke hasn't got anything going for it its got a one of the worst universities in Europe, the worst schools, rubbish football teams, town centres are nothing but a sham and the few girls had are ok looking aren't worth it cos they go around and r so easy that you'll avoid contact with the any sexually transmitted dieseases. I am glad I don't live there any more and I never mention to anyone that I used to live there. There are so many business getting out of Stoke nowadays they've just realised what a cesspit stoke is......well stoke ppl aren't the quickest to figure things out.
  • Options
    i've never been up north...but one of my friends is from newcastle and confuses me greatly when we go vegetable shopping. If i ask him to get a swede he comes back with a turnip, and vice versa :confused:

(i fetch my own veg now)
  • Options
    i've never been up north...but one of my friends is from newcastle and confuses me greatly when we go vegetable shopping. If i ask him to get a swede he comes back with a turnip, and vice versa :confused:

(i fetch my own veg now)

Realy are you sure he didnt say

"Vegtables what are they ? I dunt now like, its rabbit food itn. It Il get you tut pie n chips shall I love"
  • Options
    Realy are you sure he didnt say

"Vegtables what are they ? I dunt now like, its rabbit food itn. It Il get you tut pie n chips shall I love"

No, she said he's from NEWCASTLE!

So it's probably be more like,

"Ah divvnt kna boot al them clarty veg things pet, shall ah gan doon the rood ta tha chippie an get you a stottie?" :D
  • Options
    Oh and btw, Coventry is nice and sunny today.
  • Options
    we got some sun today too, bit damp tho! go lancashire
  • Options
    *holds hands up and surrenders*
    It's sunny here today. Which is lovely. I'm not criticising the North, the weather was getting me down generally for being shitey.

Ah and for the record, I remember OTT, North and South, 911. Anyone remember 98 degrees or have I just made that up?
  • Options
    98 degrees, aint that the band that that dude from newlyweds with jessica whatserface was in?
  • Options
    I think you are right about 98 degrees, but I was never really into boybands.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    98 degrees, aint that the band that that dude from newlyweds with jessica whatserface was in?

:yes: nick thingie...

and yep, its nice and sunny and actually quite warm here today too!
  • Options
    When I look outside, I see mist as far as the eye can see. :crying:
  • Options
    Grimsby is (as) lovely (as it can possibly be) right now.
  • Options
    Grimsby is (as) lovely (as it can possibly be) right now.

smells of fish tho
  • Options
    See, i always thought that was a misguided stereotype, since growing up here i never noticed it. Especially as the fishing industry has all but gone. But it's really not. It's not until you leave for a few months and then come back you realise the whole town does infact smell of fish.
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    Do you want to swap countries? I'll happily live in Sweden.
  • Options
    Silverberg wrote:
    I'll happily live in Sweden.

Not after you experience it - that I guarantee you.
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    Not after you experience it - that I guarantee you.
    If it's the cold then that's no problem, plus you have far better music over there :yes:
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    "Ah divvnt kna boot al them clarty veg things pet, shall ah gan doon the rood ta tha chippie an get you a stottie?" :D

:lol: Spot on.

I've had this swede/turnip confusion before with a Southerner, seemingly we call them the opposite oop north. :confused:
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:

that guy gets around doesnt he :lol: