Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

drug crime

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    yes, but a lot of people who dont and havnt done drugs view such substances in the way people do about smoking. THat we're all addicts and drugs cause more trouble than they are worth. Since the majority of people dont do drugs, and the people who decide such things dont do drugs, i can imagine they will phase out some day. But will probably be replaced with something else.
    sorry jonny but ..what your saying is all mood altering...experience altering ...exciting substances like alcohol ...will be phased out!

if the best you can offer against either legal or illegal is that humans will grow bored with such things to an extent that they will just fade away ... :eek:

so what DO we DO in the meanwhile?
  • Options
    well you need some way to control the flow. More and more kids are starting drugs, usually with weed, at younger ages and i think it is quite damaging to some. Plus the drug teaching in schools is pretty crap, just telling you not to do it cause its bad isnt really deterrant.

Also, im not saying all substances should fade away, i mean, shrooms for example, a pretty safe drug if people know what they are doing. I suppose the legalisation would lead to better purity aswell, pills for example, theres all sorts of weird ones floating about.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    well you need some way to control the flow. More and more kids are starting drugs, usually with weed, at younger ages and i think it is quite damaging to some. Plus the drug teaching in schools is pretty crap, just telling you not to do it cause its bad isnt really deterrant.

Also, im not saying all substances should fade away, i mean, shrooms for example, a pretty safe drug if people know what they are doing. I suppose the legalisation would lead to better purity aswell, pills for example, theres all sorts of weird ones floating about.
    see what i mean about circles and this thread going nowhere?
    nothing personal to you but ...everyone just keeps repeating themselves as opposed to actualy challenging the legalisers with another idea regarding the drugs problem ...and it is a problem.
  • Options
    its a very delicate problem, one wrong step could make the whole situation a lot worse.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    its a very delicate problem, one wrong step could make the whole situation a lot worse.
    how?

we cut terrorist funding by what ...90%?
    we cut organied crimes tax free cash flow by ...90%?
    we have drugs of british pharmacutical standard available as opposed to unknown quality and standard?
    we have control as opposed to no control?

what could possibly go wrong?

don't give me the shit about organised crime doing something else instead ...they already are doing.
    in this day and age of digital money and super security ...i don't see bank robbery come back into fashion.

it's one less earner ...the main earner ...being mostly taken away.
    in a fucking big way!

thers illegal booze and fags and everything else ...but most money is in the hands of the licenced.

and...the people who make the millions ...already have done and put that money into legitamate bizz.
    the people who suffer the most are those who turn over a hundred grand a week and alway the way down to the ten pound wrap boys ...they will be more or less swept away overnight.

so ...what is this scary thing that might happen in this supposedly delicate situation?
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    well you need some way to control the flow. More and more kids are starting drugs, usually with weed, at younger ages and i think it is quite damaging to some.

You know what soapbar is?
  • Options
    I bet none of the legalise drugs brigade saw the nrews reports and specials at the end of last week about the dangers of cocaine and how its due to cause a healthcare time bomb in the future..
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I bet none of the legalise drugs brigade saw the nrews reports and specials at the end of last week about the dangers of cocaine and how its due to cause a healthcare time bomb in the future..

Yes, shock horror, news flash cocaine can be dangerous.

It is how you respond which is the issue, given cocaine's use has continued to rise even when it is Class A.

How would you stop use?
  • Options
    well look at the controled flow of alcohol. even tho thers been all this shit about underage drinking, its still incredibly easy for a bunch of 14 year olds to get ther hands on 120 bottles from stella at sainsburies. What if drugs just ends up like that. I mean they would have to be very careful about who and how they distrubute the drugs. If its not done perfectly the situation could just get worse.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    well look at the controled flow of alcohol. even tho thers been all this shit about underage drinking, its still incredibly easy for a bunch of 14 year olds to get ther hands on 120 bottles from stella at sainsburies. What if drugs just ends up like that. I mean they would have to be very careful about who and how they distrubute the drugs. If its not done perfectly the situation could just get worse.

It's already is like that, that's the point.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    yeah, but it could get worse, not better.
  • Options
    well I don't think legaliseing it will bong.

But since plenty on here had a go at me when I said drugs were dangerous, I thought it was worth mentioning they are and can casue a lot of problems, though this seems to have been ignored.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    But since plenty on here had a go at me when I said drugs were dangerous, I thought it was worth mentioning they are and can casue a lot of problems, though this seems to have been ignored.

Have you been reading anyone elses posts at all? Nobody here had said drugs are without their risks have they?

We are well aware of the dangers but we're also see that the law as it stands, increasese that risk.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    well I don't think legaliseing it will bong.

OK, well lets stop messing about with negatives shall we, you have said time and again that you dont think legal supply would help, what would?

We have spelt out detailed plans yet nothing has been suggested in reply except more of the same, something which clearly isnt working now.
  • Options
    in your opinion, but of course the current methods don't workif you expect results over night.

More education, less of people going "drugs aren't that bad, you can't get addicted that easily" etc

More law enforcement, more crackdowns, more political deals to get the source of the problem.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    less of people going "drugs aren't that bad, you can't get addicted that easily" etc

More lies then?
    Walkindude wrote:
    More law enforcement, more crackdowns, more political deals to get the source of the problem.

Vague, to say the least.

What sort of law enforcement and political deals?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    in your opinion, but of course the current methods don't workif you expect results over night.

More education, less of people going "drugs aren't that bad, you can't get addicted that easily" etc

But the addiction and use figures only get worse, how long should we wait?

No one is saying that, you have grossly simplified the arguments, again.

What is the source of the problem? And how many people in jail is worth 'solving' the drug problem?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

Errr...over decades you mean. Do you think prohibition is something new? :confused:

So drugs education should be based on misformation then? :confused: Ever considered that the more that people bullshit, the less likely others are going to listen...

Which means what, exactly?

And what is the "source of the problem"?
  • Options
    well you seem to be simplfying it all by saying "it doesn't work".

yes they are, look back over thge 40 od pages of the thread and you will see statements like "you don't get addicted to drugs that easy", "druigs can be safe", "drugs don't give you long term health effects" "drusg are good for social cohesion etc etc"

I mean there are addicts yes and crime but what qualifyes as working not not??

The source of the problem is the drugs themselves, and the willingess to take them. All the bad stuff that surrounds them stems from the drugs, its all for the drugs. So you need to attack the drugs and stop people from taking them.

Well the ones in jail are in jail coz od the crimes they commit rather then just taking the drug.

Education and crackdown is the way I think.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    The source of the problem is the drugs themselves, and the willingess to take them. All the bad stuff that surrounds them stems from the drugs, its all for the drugs. So you need to attack the drugs and stop people from taking them.

So its not a persons fault they are addicted, the problem is with the drug. Then surley they should be given pity and help rather than criminal sanctions?
  • Options
    its not misinformation, its true. People should see that and stop seeing it as acceptable to take illegal drugs.

What do you think it means? more crackdowns, more political involvement and willing to take down the drugs at the sources they come from as well as cracking down on drugs that arrive on the streets.
  • Options
    Well no because in the majority of cases they choose to take the drug repeatedly and so leading to addiction. No one is saying not to help people that want to be helped at all. But prescribing drugs doesn't do much help either.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    its not misinformation, its true. People should see that and stop seeing it as acceptable to take illegal drugs.

What do you think it means? more crackdowns, more political involvement and willing to take down the drugs at the sources they come from as well as cracking down on drugs that arrive on the streets.

You keep saying 'crack down' but what do you mean? More time in jail for offenders?

Which country has reduced drug offences by giving out high jail times?

Why is it acceptable to get drunk, but not stonned?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

What's true? That's drugs can be dangerous? No-one's denied that however much you want to claim the contrary. If you suggest actually putting across the truth, then i suppose you'd have no problem with education dispelling urban myths such as one hit = addiction and pointing out that drug problems are only encountered by a small minority of users?

Just sparked up a joint as i'm typing this...please tell me exactly what's unacceptable about that?

I don't know what it means, that's why i'm asking. Arresting dealers? Trying to stop the import of drugs? Isn't that happening as we speak?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

:rolleyes:
    Walkindude wrote:

Who's been saying that? :confused:
    Walkindude wrote:

Look - come back to us when you know what you're on about eh?
  • Options
    The main problem here is that some people here think that the legilisation of certain drugs and the controlled use of others will make hundreds of thousands young people go out, shoot up, go mad and bring the country to the knees.
  • Options
    how the hell do we attack the drugs?
    a lifeless bag of powder was mown down by gun cops yesterday ...that'll teach them pesky drugs.

at source?
    most of the countries that grow cannabis and opium have done for thousands of years with no problems ...are you suggesting that because we have problems we attack these people?

the taliban virtualy erdicated opium/heroin.
    america eradicated the taliban.
    then america funded the warlords/taliban with millions of dollars in cash and gold and weapons ...withthe promise of even more so long as they do what america wants.
    so ...the biggest supply of opium/heroin ever recorded is now available ...thanx to the yanks ...so tell me again ...who do we attack?
  • Options
    I know exactly what I am on about and I am not searching over 40 pages of this thread to point all the times people made the said statements I have been saying. You know you have said it. Simple.

There is a bias opinion here and people wanting to take the easy way out without thinking of the consequences.

fine, do whatever coz I really don't care, ban them all , legalise it all, fuck it all I really don't care anymore.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I know exactly what I am on about and I am not searching over 40 pages of this thread to point all the times people made the said statements I have been saying. You know you have said it. Simple.

There is a bias opinion here and people wanting to take the easy way out without thinking of the consequences.

fine, do whatever coz I really don't care, ban them all , legalise it all, fuck it all I really don't care anymore.
    your the only one who knows what your on about unfortunately.

of course theres a bias!

based on knowledge and experience and evidence but you tend to ignore such things.

it is very difficult to care about something you know very little or nothing about.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

You're one dishonest prick aren't you?