Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

drug crime

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    muse- wrote:
    both CAN kill yer ... people regularly OD on alcohol (every weekend for some maybe more), when ppl OD on coke there seems to be much more of a reaction....

Bollocks.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    Most people are addicts because they try it recreationally for one reason or another and the very addictive properties of the drug hook them in,
    no ...most people who are tempted to have a taste realise it would possibly get in the way of their wonderful life believe it or not.

and so become occasional users or walk away having had an experience.

lets get something straight here ...heroin for people with very little going for them in the first place is a highly addictive drug.

most heroin ...as with most illegal drugs are actualy consumed by people with jobs families carears.
    whenever these kinds of threads appear the focus always seems to be on the poor and desperate junkies who are the minority of heroin users.

only ten percent of people who use illegal drugs go on to have problems of any kind with them ...why is that i wonder?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Absolute nonsense. Sheer and utter.

If the doctor gives them enough then yes, they'll be content! All addicts want is enough for a fix to get them through the day. Give them that, and state allowances will largely covers their other basic needs.

Eh? If they don't want to stop then they don't want to stop - better to keep them supplied until they're ready to sort themselves out.

More likely than if offered you a joint or a line? No-one here has actually suggested legalising coke - although decriminalising it and removing penalties for use, i would most definitely support that. No-one has the right to punish me for having a sniff.

So people shouldn't be allowed to smoke a drug, which hasn't even been proved to cause phsyical health damage (in fact, evidence suggests the contrary!) in the privacy of their own homes or in a licensed premises for cannabis use?

I'm sitting smoking a joint in my flat right now. What's wrong with that? Am i harming anyone? NO!

Personally, i think there is an argument for prohibiting normal fags...nicotine is a boring drug which offers nothing but addiction.

Ure harming the person who's hospital bed you take when you get lung cancer or decide to go out for a drive while ure stoned ... I know ppl drink drive but i have noticed people are much more disciplined about drink driving than driving when theyve been smoking weed, still pretty dangerous.

Though you having say 1 or 2 joints every day or every other day in ure own home is harming noone i guess, thats true, depends on the extent though i guess
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Bollocks.

So you would say equivalent measurements of coke and alcohol have the same extent of effects? Or coke has a less strong effect? :confused:
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    Ure harming the person who's hospital bed you take when you get lung cancer

You could say exactly the same thing about someone who is in hospital for late onset diabetes brought on by bad diet, or heart disease etc brought on by bad diet or whos had an accident participating in a risk sport.
    muse- wrote:
    or decide to go out for a drive while ure stoned ... I know ppl drink drive but i have noticed people are much more disciplined about drink driving than driving when theyve been smoking weed, still pretty dangerous.

But that is nothing to do with smoking weed per se is it?
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    So you would say equivalent measurements of coke and alcohol have the same extent of effects? Or coke has a less strong effect? :confused:

Equivalent measures? What are you on about? :confused:
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    Ure harming the person who's hospital bed you take when you get lung cancer or decide to go out for a drive while ure stoned ... I know ppl drink drive but i have noticed people are much more disciplined about drink driving than driving when theyve been smoking weed, still pretty dangerous.

No-one's proved a link between cannabis and lung cancer. There is evidence which suggests cannabis is actually good for the lungs (filtering out nasty stuff).

I suppose eating fast food is wrong then?

if you pay your taxes, you have a right to treatment whatever the cause.

The stoned driving nonsense is laughable. There is no difference between that and drunk driving at all.
    Though you having say 1 or 2 joints every day or every other day in ure own home is harming noone i guess, thats true, depends on the extent though i guess

I've smoked about 10 joints today and had a couple of bongs. So fucking what? No-one's business but mine.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Equivalent measures? What are you on about? :confused:

ok i will put it in simple form just for you (though what i said there was pretty damn simple)

Which do you think is the stronger drug alcohol or coke?

oh and I heard that smoking weed can be 4 times worse on the lungs than normal cigs ... (mix / no filter etc). I would definately not say it was good for the lungs lol, that also sounds laughable.

Also - eating fast food may be unhealthy ... we NEED to eat though, you cant ban food lol. The want for food is natural, the want for a drug altered state of mind is not (until you have tried it once then it may feel natural).

Say I had something wrong with me and i had to go to hospital, yet they told me my bed was being taken my someone who had OD'd on coke and fucked themselves up, I would be very pissed off ... if it was someone whod eaten too much fast food i'd be more leniant as we need food but some take it too far..
  • Options
    Stronger? In what way? When taken by what method? In what form? How do you measure it? Its a meaningless question.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:

oh and I heard that smoking weed can be 4 times worse on the lungs than normal cigs ... (mix / no filter etc). I would definately not say it was good for the lungs lol, that also sounds laughable.

What are you on about? :confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    prove me wrong.

And for the measures....as you are pretty dense lets put it this way, what do u think has more of an effect on a persons mentality, a line of coke or a bottle of beer?
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    prove me wrong.

Prove what wrong? I don't even understand your point.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:

I'm going on scientific evidence - you're going on hearsay. I wonder who has the stronger POV?
    Also - eating fast food may be unhealthy ... we NEED to eat though, you cant ban food lol. The want for food is natural, the want for a drug altered state of mind is not (until you have tried it once then it may feel natural).

Say I had something wrong with me and i had to go to hospital, yet they told me my bed was being taken my someone who had OD'd on coke and fucked themselves up, I would be very pissed off ... if it was someone whod eaten too much fast food i'd be more leniant as we need food but some take it too far..

We need food, we don't need fast food.

What about someone who was injured playing rugby? They don't need to play sport, so i'd presume you'd be equally pissed off?
  • Options
    Originally Posted by muse-

What are you on about?

you questioned it, prove it wrong
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    I'm going on scientific evidence - you're going on hearsay. I wonder who has the stronger POV?

We need food, we don't need fast food.

What about someone who was injured playing rugby? They don't need to play sport, so i'd presume you'd be equally pissed off?

I would consider playing rugby generally productive for the body and mind, exercise plus healthy competition is not a bad thing ... fair enough injuries happen im willing to accept that... It;s different to ppl putting mind effecting substances in their body that they know wont actually do them good in the long run ...
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    Originally Posted by muse-

you questioned it, prove it wrong

Eh? i'm confused. 4 times worse in what way? Measured how? Can you post a source for your claim. And what does this "I would definately not say it was good for the lungs lol, that also sounds laughable. " mean? Who ios arguing otherwise? :confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    spliffie is
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    spliffie is

spliffie is what? stop writing in riddles
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    I would consider playing rugby generally productive for the body and mind, exercise plus healthy competition is not a bad thing ... fair enough injuries happen im willing to accept that... It;s different to ppl putting mind effecting substances in their body that they know wont actually do them good in the long run ...

And cannabis can be good for the mind too. Show me actual evidence which shows a correlation between cannabis use and lung cancer. if you're going to make a claim then at least be able to back it up.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

I denied his claim about joints being 4x worse than cigarettes. It's a claim with little to back it up, and is at odds with various proper studies.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

fucks sake ! The summary of your statement/question of the post before i wrote "spliffie is" was 'Who is arguing otherwise' ... I answered your question... It is pointless me arguiing with someone who likes to be against 'the system' whatever the fuck it is...if drugs were legal u would argue they should be banned... :no:

@ spliffie

Link

Heres one about lung cancer ^

Another below about long term effects...

Link...
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    @ spliffie

Link

Dr Ammenheuser said: "We can't actually make statements about cause and effect from our study, but we can say that marijuana smoking probably increases your risk of getting things like lung cancer, in much the same way that we know that tobacco smoking increases this risk.

Doesn't prove anything. There have been studies which show no correlation between smoking dope and lung cancer. I'll look an example out.

Link...

LMFAO

Read the bottom sentence :rolleyes:
  • Options
    haha yer i just read that, though it only refers to the bottom 5 statements.
  • Options
    What on earth are you on about?

Firstly, you make a claim, you back it up. It's not for the people you are debating with to debunk your bollocks. PROVE IT!!111 doesn't win an argument, chuck.

Secondly, where have you plucked the "four times" figure from? Especially given the BBC article you posted shows that they cannot tell, as marijuana is smoked with tobacco, and is not smoked in the same way as most smoke tobacco. The fact filters are not used is not relevant, as tobacco can be smoked rolled.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    fucks sake ! The summary of your statement/question of the post before i wrote "spliffie is" was 'Who is arguing otherwise' ... I answered your question...

I was taking issue with your inference that spliffie was arguing that cannabis was good for your lungs. As it goes, I think its bad for your lungs to be smoking anything (and I speak as someone who smokes tobacco)
    muse- wrote:
    It is pointless me arguiing with someone who likes to be against 'the system' whatever the fuck it is...if drugs were legal u would argue they should be banned... :no:

Have you been smoking a joint yourself tonight? You're not making much sense.
    muse- wrote:
    @ spliffie

Link

Actually if you look at the studies and not the media reports (since when did the media report science issues accurately?) you'll see its not that clear cut.
    muse- wrote:

Link...

do you ever read the links you post? From that page "However, there is no proof for these statements"
  • Options
    A 1997 UCLA School of Medicine study (Volume 155 of the American Journal of Respiratory & Critical Care Medicine) conducted on 243 marijuana smokers over an 8-year period reported the following: "Findings from the long-term study of heavy, habitual marijuana smokers argue against the concept that continuing heavy use of marijuana is a significant risk factor for the development of chronic lung disease." "Neither the continuing nor the intermittent marijuana smokers exhibited any significantly different rates of decline in lung function as compared with those individuals who never smoked marijuana." The study concluded: "No differences were noted between even quite heavy marijuana smoking and nonsmoking of marijuana."

And...
    http://www.counterpunch.org/gardner07022005.html

There are plenty of others too.
  • Options
    You know this thread is now the 50th highest result for 'drug crime' on google.com - that's insane.
  • Options
    That is just referring to the opinion ones which are only the last 5 ...

And yes you will get the studies by the guys that take drugs that show no negative results and vice versa.

Also if you scroll back you will say also that spliffie said cannabis may be good for your lungs as it cleans some crap out of them (something to that effect)

And lol Jim V :lol:
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    That is just referring to the opinion ones which are only the last 5 ...

How do you work that out?
    muse- wrote:

Also if you scroll back you will say also that spliffie said cannabis may be good for your lungs as it cleans some crap out of them (something to that effect)

Where? Quote it. Maybe I missed it.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    No-one's proved a link between cannabis and lung cancer. There is evidence which suggests cannabis is actually good for the lungs (filtering out nasty stuff).

I suppose eating fast food is wrong then?

if you pay your taxes, you have a right to treatment whatever the cause.

The stoned driving nonsense is laughable. There is no difference between that and drunk driving at all.

I've smoked about 10 joints today and had a couple of bongs. So fucking what? No-one's business but mine.