Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

drug crime

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    OK. That is a ludicrous statement I agree. Spliffie? Care to back it up?
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    That is just referring to the opinion ones which are only the last 5 ...

And yes you will get the studies by the guys that take drugs that show no negative results and vice versa.

Also if you scroll back you will say also that spliffie said cannabis may be good for your lungs as it cleans some crap out of them (something to that effect)

And lol Jim V :lol:

These aren't long haired stoners conducting surveys of their pals. They're objective scientific studies.

So, I've provided some relevent sources. Where are yours? :confused:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    OK. That is a ludicrous statement I agree. Spliffie? Care to back it up?

There is some evidence which suggests so. I clearly remember reading about it months ago, a book called 'the emperor wears no clothes' i believe it was. Rolly linked me to it a while back.

Either way, it's pretty irrelevent, because there's enough studies showing no correlation between weed and lung cancer and a noticable lack of studies suggesting the opposite to prove muse mistaken in his assertions.

Anyway...the main health risk for most people smoking weed is soapbar...a direct product of prohibition.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    There is some evidence which suggests so. I clearly remember reading about it months ago, a book called 'the emperor wears no clothes' i believe it was. Rolly linked me to it a while back.

Yeah, I know the book. Its hardly an impartial source.
  • Options
    oo forgot this :D
    Have you been smoking a joint yourself tonight? You're not making much sense.

Are you implying that smoking a join would effect my good judgement? Does this not go against what you are arguing?
  • Options
    this thread is going nowhere rapidly.

all those who are against legalisation ...please offer us something that hasn't already failed.

how do we stop the ever growing number of users ...the ever growing number of dealers ...the ever growing violence and gun crime that comes with protecting your thousand pounds a night turnover?

getting intoxicated by the way ...is probably far older than seeing who can kick a ball the farthest.

men seeking alternate realities and altered states ...comes with being human ...it aint fucking new!
  • Options
    i'll have to talk to my bleedin' self again ...

those who are proposing legalisation aren't doing so in the belief the world will be one big happy party with drugs.

the legalisers which include an ever growing number of politicians and high ranking coppers and civil servants health workers etc ...see a problem that is growing year on year with the associated crime and violence whilst things are left in the hands of criminals.

the legalisers wish to change that situation.

all those against legalising are not offering anything other than lets leave it alone ...lets wash our hands ofthe problem ...how bad does it have to get before you are willing to come up with some solutions?
  • Options
    ok to be blunt - alcohol is so widespread because its legal, and has been for a while ...if drugs were legalised over time they would become more socially accepted - You can see the problems that alcohol sometimes causes (irrational fights, drunk driving etcetc), more potent drugs being legalised and readily available wouldnt be great for the community i dont think, but i respect ure opinion (along with the high ranking copper s :yes: )
  • Options
    20th highest result in the world for 'drug crime' which I'm just finding staggering. One thing I would say is that there seems to be an assumption by some that because one drug is legal (alcohol) it is automatically less potent than others. Remember that it was alcohol America banned in the 30's, not numerous other drugs that are illegal now.

Drugs laws, it would seem, are as much based on political climate as any really judgement on the facts behind them.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    ok to be blunt - alcohol is so widespread because its legal, and has been for a while ...if drugs were legalised over time they would become more socially accepted - You can see the problems that alcohol sometimes causes (irrational fights, drunk driving etcetc), more potent drugs being legalised and readily available wouldnt be great for the community i dont think, but i respect ure opinion (along with the high ranking copper s :yes: )
    i'm not comparing different drugs with alcohol.
    alcohol often causes violence and total memory loss ...what illegal drugs in popular use do that?

they have always been widespread by the way.
    victorian times ...opium and cannabis were hugely popular ...and legal.

edwardian times through the 20's and 30's ...opium cannabis morphine and cocain were hugely popular.
    morphine and cocaine were so fashionable that sherlock holmes was depicted as a user of both.
    the coke to stimulate his mind for solving complex problems ...the morphine to relax him ...help him unwind and get the days work out of his system.

but still no offers of what to do?
    do we keep things the way they are?
    let the problem grow and see the fabric of socciety degrade even further cos gangsters and terrorists are turning over ...in cash ...up to ten billion pounds a year in the uk alone?
    that kind of cash causes serious violence and death ...corruption etc.

if the demand for drugs is so high in the uk ...what do we do?
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    One thing I would say is that there seems to be an assumption by some that because one drug is legal (alcohol) it is automatically less potent than others. Remember that it was alcohol America banned in the 30's, not numerous other drugs that are illegal now.

in the twenties.
    i had a photograph many years ago of the real elliot ness and the real alcapone ...standing at a bar in an illegal boozer ...both puffing on a huge cannabis pipe!
  • Options
    in the twenties.
    i had a photograph many years ago of the real elliot ness and the real alcapone ...standing at a bar in an illegal boozer ...both puffing on a huge cannabis pipe!

Gah! too tired, had to guess 20's or 30's
  • Options
    Fair enough ... If it ever gets legalised itll be interesting to see the consequences / benefits :yeees:

i dont think only good will come out of it tbh, maybe we will never see =p
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    Fair enough ... If it ever gets legalised itll be interesting to see the consequences / benefits :yeees:

i dont think only good will come out of it tbh, maybe we will never see =p
    interesting point jim made ...america banned alcohol but not dope and coke and things ...wonder why that was?
  • Options
    interesting point jim made ...america banned alcohol but not dope and coke and things ...wonder why that was?
    But that was the 20s, when cigarettes were good for you! Not really comparable with the evidence we have about drugs now.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    oo forgot this :D

Are you implying that smoking a join would effect my good judgement? Does this not go against what you are arguing?

No. What an odd thing to say.
  • Options
    There seems to be some confusion on one side of this argument as to what the legalisers want.

I certainly dont want drugs sold over the counter to anyone at any time of the day or night at rock bottom prices, that would lead to an increase in use.

But, restricted and controlled sale of recreational drugs such as cannabis and MDMA.

Heroin is a medicine and should be treated as such, methadone is crap and should (largely) be replaced.

The situation with cocaine and amphetamines is difficult and I dont have a good answer for them.

Legal drug supply wouldnt be great, that's not the point, it would be better than what we have now which is an expensive dangerous mess.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Not really comparable with the evidence we have about drugs now.
    ok ...how about all the evidence we have about the drug situation being a huge problem under the current rules.
    the evidence which shows relaxing the laws actualy diminishes drug use.
    the evidence that up to ten billion quid a year in untaxed and mostly untraceablke cash is funding terrorism and organised crime in the uk?
    the evidence that shows a clean heroin supply is healthier for ALL of us?
    that the government having control makes far more sense than bincapone having control ...and on and fucking on it goes!

but still no one comes up with any ideas ...apart from legalising.
    then the legalisers get jumped on for being silly while the antis wring their little hands and suggest nothing!

by suggesting absolutely nothing through the whole of this thread ...i take it those against aRE HAPPY TO HAVE THE STREETS AWASH WITH IMPURE AND UNSAFE SUBSTANCES UNder no control whatsoever!
  • Options
    no i aint apologising for dragging yesterdays debate up ...

i would realy like to see some kind of suggestion other than legalisation from those opposed to it.

we have a problem huston ...we have have offered up our ideas how to change things ...all you do you houston is ridicule our ideas and then go silent.

it cannot be an inteligent debate when only one side is offering a way to deal with what is a problem

fine disagreeing ...but ...
  • Options
    69 fucking pages of wh7y the law should be changed ...not one fucking sentence offering one single fucking idea of how else to deal with the problem.
  • Options
    Joseph Rowntree Foundation research report on controlled heroin use
    http://www.jrf.org.uk/bookshop/eBooks/1859354254.pdf

From the summary
    Our findings suggest
    that sustained heroin use does not inevitably
    lead to dependency, and that dependency will
    not always cause users significant problems –
    particularly involvement in crime and personal
    degeneration. We have demonstrated that, for
    some people, using heroin does not strip them
    of the ability to make conscious, rational and
    autonomous decisions about their drug use. The
    descriptions of heroin use presented here
    contradict the stereotypes that are to be found in
    the media’s treatment of the topic and political
    statements about it. They almost certainly
    conflict with popular beliefs about the drug.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    69 fucking pages of wh7y the law should be changed ...not one fucking sentence offering one single fucking idea of how else to deal with the problem.

Well they must be content with how things stand at the moment. Strange. :eek2:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Check out the radio shows on http://thegooddrugsguide.com/radio/index.htm

The State of Ecstasy and the most recent one about addiction are definately worth checking out.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    fao ...those who believe we have a drug problem in the uk.

fao ...those who think it's time to do something about it.

fao ...those against legalising ...

what shall we do?

to stop or limit consumption and demand of these substances?

your help ideas and advice needed urgently ...
  • Options
    fao ...those who believe we have a drug problem in the uk.

fao ...those who think it's time to do something about it.

fao ...those against legalising ...

what shall we do?

to stop or limit consumption and demand of these substances?

your help ideas and advice needed urgently ...

You won't get an answer to that, simply because they don't have one.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    You won't get an answer to that, simply because they don't have one.
    i know mate ...thats why all similar threads in the past have died at this point.
    the point where you ask them what to do.
    the legalisers are offering a change ...a different approach.
    those who argue against this idea ...offer nothing but keep things the way they are.
    they are happy to have the streets full of poisened inferior and dangerous products being manufactured and distributed by gangsters and terrorists who turn over up to ten billion quid a year in the uk alone ...how many other industries turn over that much i keep asking ...or they are bankrupt of ideas but rubbish immediately the one we and many proffesionals put forth.
    so ...come on you people who maybe rightly argue against our ideas ...try actualy offering something different.
    is that beyond you ...or are you happy to let things carry on the way they are?
  • Options
    legalise, then if needed, slowly fliter out. Like smoking, one day i can imagine, as it becomes illegal n bars etc more and more people will stop doing it, until one day when noone does.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    legalise, then if needed, slowly fliter out. Like smoking, one day i can imagine, as it becomes illegal n bars etc more and more people will stop doing it, until one day when noone does.
    nicotine will i imagine eventualy be phased out.
    this is a nicotine junky dsaying this.
    fags are an evil addiction that effects everyone around the smoker.
    it also serves no purpose where cannabis and heroin etc etc ...do actualy serve many purposes.
    t
  • Options
    yes, but a lot of people who dont and havnt done drugs view such substances in the way people do about smoking. THat we're all addicts and drugs cause more trouble than they are worth. Since the majority of people dont do drugs, and the people who decide such things dont do drugs, i can imagine they will phase out some day. But will probably be replaced with something else.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    yes, but a lot of people who dont and havnt done drugs view such substances in the way people do about smoking. THat we're all addicts and drugs cause more trouble than they are worth. Since the majority of people dont do drugs, and the people who decide such things dont do drugs, i can imagine they will phase out some day. But will probably be replaced with something else.

Mot people drink alcohol, and something like half of our generation smoke or have smoked weed.

If put to a public vote, legalisation of cannabis would probably be supported by a majority.

Drugs will always be around.