Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

God Bless America

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    since when do you actually stick around and debate anything?

You usually start threads with titles that don't even match the news stories you are referring to, trying not to look blatantly bogoted. You then hope it will start some major stirrings on the board, and then you conveniently piss off :thumb:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    bogoted.

Anything to do with Boglins? Mmm... Rubber Fetish Toys.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Anything to do with Boglins? Mmm... Rubber Fetish Toys.

:blush: oops - you know what i meant hehe
  • Options
    Your thoughts?
    sanity has prevailed? Ha! Whenever I ask a pro-death penalty nut why they support it they always say somthing along the lines of "murder is an unforgivable act", and I always wonder why they don't feel the same way about state sponsored murder.

Not that I'm going to feel at all bad that the man is gone, piece of scum that he was.
  • Options
    How can Born Slippy be pro-death penalty and pro-life (anti-abortion) at the same time?
  • Options
    Not that I'm going to feel at all bad that the man is gone, piece of scum that he was.

I'm assuming you never met the man, so you're just thinking what you've been manipulated to think.

There is no difference between you and a supporter of the death penalty based on what you said here.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Israel doesn't have the death penalty. It's only ever executed one person; Nazi war criminal Adolf Eichmann. I won't even respond to the last sentence of your post.
    It's not my intention to derail the thread into a Middle East debate, but I can assure you a country that illegally occupies other people's land for 4 decades, subjects the locals to appalling abuse, destroys homes and crops for fun, inflicts collective punishment such as movement, electricity and water restrictions on entire towns, illegally imprison civilians for many months at a time only to be released without charge and take pot shots at children as they go to school or demonstrate in front of tanks can hardly be described as civilised- by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    What living-in-a-bush-o'meter scale did you use to form those opinions?

Google?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    How can Born Slippy be pro-death penalty and pro-life (anti-abortion) at the same time?
    There's a lot of things about BS that we'll never understand.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It's not my intention to derail the thread into a Middle East debate, but I can assure you a country that illegally occupies other people's land for 4 decades, subjects the locals to appalling abuse, destroys homes and crops for fun, inflicts collective punishment such as movement, electricity and water restrictions on entire towns, illegally imprison civilians for many months at a time only to be released without charge and take pot shots at children as they go to school or demonstrate in front of tanks can hardly be described as civilised- by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd say that targetted assassinations are executions.........

This incident suggests that Israel has quite a lot to learn about the concept of justice imho
  • Options
    I'd say that targetted assassinations are executions.........

Targeting the military leaders of an enemy during conflict is acceptable under the ‘laws of war’, Israel is certainly not the only civilised country to have done it. Israel is acting in accordance with international law; there is nothing illegal about targeting and killing an enemy combatant that hasn’t surrendered. Targeting specific terrorist leaders actively involved in planning and coordinating bloodshed and terrorist attacks saves the lives of innocent people. I’d also suggest you distinguish between a civilian and a military context. Oh and learn how to distinguish between a civil and a military context.
  • Options
    Targeting the military leaders of an enemy during conflict is acceptable under the ‘laws of war’, Israel is certainly not the only civilised country to have done it. Israel is acting in accordance with international law; there is nothing illegal about targeting and killing an enemy combatant that hasn’t surrendered. Targeting specific terrorist leaders actively involved in planning and coordinating bloodshed and terrorist attacks saves the lives of innocent people. I’d also suggest you distinguish between a civilian and a military context. Oh and learn how to distinguish between a civil and a military context.

Bollocks.

You claimed the moral highground for Israel and you barefaced lied when you said that Israel has only ever executed one man.

You do realise that you've just justified suicide bombings, don't you?

:confused:
  • Options
    Bollocks.

Not the topic of this thread.

Start a new one if you want to talk about the middle east, this thread was about an organised death penalty as part of the due process of law.
  • Options
    I'm assuming you never met the man, so you're just thinking what you've been manipulated to think.

There is no difference between you and a supporter of the death penalty based on what you said here.

:rolleyes:
    Ah yeah man you sure've got me pegged :rolleyes: . I've been manipulated to think that this guy was a co-founder of a gang responsible for many deaths, killed at least one person in cold blood, and as a result of his actions has made many communities in LA an unsafe place to live. Because an intellectual of your caliber is enlightened enough to know that none of that is true, it's all an urban legend.

No difference you say? There is no difference between not being upset that a bad person is gone, and supporting state sponsored murder? I'm glad that Stalin died too, does that make me a supporter of the death penalty as well?
  • Options
    I'm glad that Stalin died too, does that make me a supporter of the death penalty as well?

Do you know something that the BBC doesn't?

If the outcome makes you happy, then you share responsibility for the cause, or is that a bit too difficult for youy to work out?

:confused:
  • Options
    If the outcome makes you happy, then you share responsibility for the cause

What a crock of shit.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    What a crock of shit.

Indeed - imagine there being any link between the following two statements.

I am against the death penalty.

However I am glad they killed Tookie Williams.

:)
  • Options
    If that's what you had said, I would agree. Read it again. :)

You linked pleasure at the end result with participation in it. I don't know what you wanted to say, but this is what you actually did.

And guess what -

It's still a crock of shit.
  • Options
    Hrm... I'm against execution, whatever they've done.

You can tell a lot about a country's freedom by the way it treats its prisoners.
  • Options
    http://www.isometry.com/usahate.html

Has a nice list for you to look at Walkindude.

From turning away Jewish peple during WW2 to arming saddam in the first place, aong with all the various invasions (chile, nicaragua.....actually it might be easier to list those places they haven't been yet...) and self serving trade "agreements".
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    If that's what you had said, I would agree. Read it again. :)

You linked pleasure at the end result with participation in it. I don't know what you wanted to say, but this is what you actually did.

And guess what -

It's still a crock of shit.

Whatever - if you take pleasure from the execution of a man in your name, then you ARE complicit in it.

As Satre wrote in his preface to "The Wretched of the Earth".
    But, you will say, we live in the mother country and we disapprove of her excesses. It is true, that you are not settlers, but you are no better For the pioneers belonged to you; you sent them overseas, and it was you they enriched. You warned them that if they shed too much blood you would disown them, or say you did, in something of the same way as any state maintains abroad a mob of agitators, agents provocateurs and spies whom it dosowns when they are caught. You, who are so liberal and so humane, who have such an exaggerated adoration of culture that it verges on affectation, you pretend to forget that you own colonies and that in them men are massacred in your name.........

The state exists with our complicity - it carries out it deeds with our complicity - and for so long as we provide that complicity, we are complicit in everything that it does.

Saying I disapprove of the states excesses but I'm glad that was done makes you more culpable than someone who abhors the death penalty and will never approve of the act - never mind how awful they think the executee was.

• Options
    Whatever - if you take pleasure from the execution of a man in your name, then you ARE complicit in it.

No, your not. If a John gets pushed over by Bill in the street and I find it funny, did I cause him to fall over?

No. So you are talking crap.

If Bill is in the same book club as I am, does that mutual association have anything to do with Bill pushing John?

No. So you are talking crap.
    The state exists

Gonna have to stop you there FTP, because it doesn't. No more than God, the easter bunny, or santa claus exist. No more than Mcdonalds, Hogwarts, or London exist.
    But, you will say, we live in the mother country and we disapprove of her excesses

I thought this guy was suppose to be a thinker? More like a fuckwit.

But, I will say, countries are fictional distinctions that cannot be sensed in any way, and therefore only exist inside the mind. Any conclusion that is drawn from such a belief must be false, because it starts from false premises.

There is no link between you and other people, you are an entirely seperate organism, like it or not, want it or not, believe it or not. One man has killed another, his excuses for doing so and his motivations for doing so, while real to him, mean nothing to me. All that's happened in factual reality (a place I am doomed to live) is one man has stopped another breathing.
    Saying I disapprove of the states excesses but I'm glad that was done makes you more culpable than someone who abhors the death penalty and will never approve of the act - never mind how awful they think the executee was.

No, it doesn't. Your emotional reaction to the actions of others aren't part of what they are doing, whether you liked it or not. "States" can't kill anything, they are fictional beings. One man can kill another, and come up with excuses for having done so. You can claim all day that you have some link with other humans. You never do.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Gonna have to stop you there FTP, because it doesn't. No more than God, the easter bunny, or santa claus exist. No more than Mcdonalds, Hogwarts, or London exist.

ah yes - well for those that believe the state, London and McDonalds do exist, the thinking will be different.

• Options
    ah yes - well for those that believe the state, London and McDonalds do exist, the thinking will be different.

Just as it would be for those who believe that god exists, the bible is the word of god and so forth. Totally wrong of course, but in politics, the key thing is to be believed, not to be accurate.

So, it's a belief and not a fact, and like all beliefs, anything built upon those foundations falls when those foundations are removed.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Just as it would be for those who believe that god exists, the bible is the word of god and so forth. Totally wrong of course, but in politics, the key thing is to be believed, not to be accurate.

So, it's a belief and not a fact, and like all beliefs, anything built upon those foundations falls when those foundations are removed.

Indeed - but I remain fairly convinced of the existence of McShite, London and the state.

I walk past a McDonalds frequently, live in London and have had some pretty negative experiences with the state.

:blush:
  • Options
    Indeed - but I remain fairly convinced of the existence of McShite, London and the state.

No worries mate, the inability to differentiate between symbols and reality is amazingly common. Trust me, I know. :)
    I walk past a McDonalds frequently

You think you do, which at this level of belief is the same thing.
    live in London

Except you don't - grab an aerial view sometime and be amazed at the lack of any boundary lines in the real world. You could call it anything you like, as long as enough people went along with you and treated it as real, you'd be fine.
    have had some pretty negative experiences with the state.

Nah, you haven't, I bet you have had some nasty experiences with some individual men and women who acted as if there was a state. It would help you greatly when dealing them if you remember they are just fanatic believers in something.

Anyway, I walked past a santa's grotto this morning, does that mean a jocular fat man is going to magically fly around the world delivering presents later this month?

Convinces kids though. ;)
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Except you don't - grab an aerial view sometime and be amazed at the lack of any boundary lines in the real world. You could call it anything you like, as long as enough people went along with you and treated it as real, you'd be fine.

"Can I have a return to Kinkebania please?" always draws a blank at railway stations ime :(
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    klintock wrote:
    What a crock of shit.

How rather true.

Iran is no doubt happy when some Jihadist from a palestinian group blows himself up in Israel.

Iran has nothing to do with it...
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

The same way some one can be pro-death and pro-life (anti-execution).
  • Options
    Who is "pro-death"?

Whose death? :confused: