Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

drug crime

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well I was responding to the post above saying you can't function on methadone but you can on heroin.

You can't fully function on heroin, it all gets impaired, even paranoia.

Would you want a surgeon operating on you after he had shot up heroin?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    well I was responding to the post above saying you can't function on methadone but you can on heroin.

No, same as I wouldn't want him operating if he was drunk.

But thats missing the point, if the dose is right then the person isnt intoxicated in the traditional view of heroin users.
  • Options
    so herpoin has no physical effects whatsoever ever if it is "the right dose"?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    so herpoin has no physical effects whatsoever ever if it is "the right dose"?

When the person has a tolerance, then they dont experience it in the same way that a novice would. Ask Morrocanroll about this.

Of course its not ideal, and it would be better if they didnt use, but that isnt realisitic for many users, for one reason or another they are unable or unwilling to come off the drug. In these cases maintaning them and stablising their condition is the best we can do.
  • Options
    This all misses the point.

The addict is already on heroin. Either we can spend a fortune jailing all these people, or we can save a ton of cash and help them in the process.

Take a case of simple possession. The maximum sentence is seven years. Lets cost it up, assuming a Crown Court trial.

You have the police officers, on £25k a year to work on the drugs squad.
    You have a solicitor on £50 an hour representing the defendant.
    You have two barristers on £80 an hour in the court.
    You have the judge on £110 an hour in the court.
    You have 12 jurors, all on £60 a day.
    You have court running costs, you have the costs of jailing someone for three years, and then monitoring their three year licence period.

And that's just to prosecute for simple possession.

Heroin addicts steal to pay for drugs. They generally need to steal items worth about £200 a day to feed a £20 a day drug habit. That's £1500 a week cost in crime, plus wasting the time of the victims. Give them it on prescription and they won't steal, so you're saying £1500 a week per addict. You can also give them the drug in safe medical environments, so no street dealing and no shooting up in alleyways. You can help them off it better if you take medical control of the drug.

Arguing against prescription offering of heroin is, quite frankly, ridiculous. Leaving aside anything else, think of the money you'd save if you did it. As I've said, we'd lose half our custom, and can anyone genuinely say that that is a bad thing? Hell, even most of us in the criminal law think the drugs laws are bollocks.
  • Options
    well you wouldnt save any money on those trials because the officers would always be on 2kk a year no matter what, the solicietr would still exist and charge for whoever the defend, ditto barristers, the judge and the jury.

You also presume that they would take the prescription drug and only that. Docotrs would limit supply to individuals, so if they want more they still have to turn criminal eliment. Plus those already addicted may have debts racked up they ned to pay for, or already being used by the criminal world and so they would still commit crime. And so would still be jailed for that crime and so the costs of imprisonment etc stay.

Its not that easy you know.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Walkindude wrote:
    Docotrs would limit supply to individuals, so if they want more they still have to turn criminal eliment.

Not if the right amount is prescribed.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    well you wouldnt save any money on those trials because the officers would always be on 2kk a year no matter what, the solicietr would still exist and charge for whoever the defend, ditto barristers, the judge and the jury.

You also presume that they would take the prescription drug and only that. Docotrs would limit supply to individuals, so if they want more they still have to turn criminal eliment. Plus those already addicted may have debts racked up they ned to pay for, or already being used by the criminal world and so they would still commit crime. And so would still be jailed for that crime and so the costs of imprisonment etc stay.

Its not that easy you know.

But even if all that were true, you would still have;

- Police having more time to catch criminals

- Court having more time to try non-drugs cases

- Addicts only stealing a little extra to 'top up' their prescription

I'm not sure how you can argue against this, of course it isnt a cure all, we're not saying that, but it would be a huge benefit to the addicts and more importantly soceity.
  • Options
    and who decides that, not the addict but the doctors. And doctors may ssay "no you have had enough for this time period", how do you know that an addict would acpet this and not try to score anywhere else?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    and who decides that, not the addict but the doctors. And doctors may ssay "no you have had enough for this time period", how do you know that an addict would acpet this and not try to score anywhere else?

Even if they did then it would be no where near as much as now, how is that a not an improvement?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    no offence but you 2 can't seriously by asking that question?

I'm wondering what point you're trying to make. I don't think anyone is saying that using heroin is ideal. However, it doesn't have to be the really dreadful ordeal it often is - that is mostly down to prohibition and social and economic circumstance.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

Heroin is not known for causing paranoia.
  • Options
    Check you facts.

A heroin addict gave an interview where he said one of the biggest secrets in thsi country is the amount of heroin users who shoot up while driving their or a car. He himslef did this, stating the heroin he took made him paranoid, and that the only time he felt safe or couldn't be caught was when he was actually driving his car, and so he would shoot up while driving. He said he was not the only heroin addict who did this by any means.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Check you facts.

A heroin addict gave an interview where he said one of the biggest secrets in thsi country is the amount of heroin users who shoot up while driving their or a car. He himslef did this, stating the heroin he took made him paranoid, and that the only time he felt safe or couldn't be caught was when he was actually driving his car, and so he would shoot up while driving. He said he was not the only heroin addict who did this by any means.

Heroin does not do this, the law regarding heroin does this to people.

Heroin is a downer, a strong pain killing relaxant, it will not make you paranoid.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Check you facts.

Whats the source for this unlikely sounding story?

I have checked my facts. Heroin is not known for causing paranoia. Quite the opposite in fact.
  • Options
    the opposite of paranoia? What rubbish.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

Why do you do this to yourself? This is the 3rd or 4th thread where you've written complete crap while claiming to have "studied it".

FYI - heroin is a painkiller - it relieves physical pain and emotional pain, relieves anxiety, makes people feel safe and warm.

Maybe you should educate yourself. Check this
    http://www.drugscope.org.uk/druginfo/drugsearch/ds_results.asp?file=\wip\11\1\1\heroin_opiates.html
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

I cant believe we are even having this discussion, I presume you know the physical effects of heroin.

You said yourself it was the fear of being caught which was the issue.
  • Options
    YEes be belived he was being chased by police, and government agents, MI5 tec etc, when quite plainly wasn't.

He belived hewas being chased in genereal. He was not in a rational mindset. there is a difference.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Why do you do this to yourself? This is the 3rd or 4th thread where you've written complete crap while claiming to have "studied it".

FYI - heroin is a painkiller - it relieves physical pain and emotional pain, relieves anxiety, makes people feel safe and warm.

Maybe you should educate yourself. Check this
    http://www.drugscope.org.uk/druginfo/drugsearch/ds_results.asp?file=\wip\11\1\1\heroin_opiates.html

yes a painkiller, dulls your sense, makes you go into la la land to put it crudely. Creates a strong addction and horribel withdrawal symptoms.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    YEes be belived he was being chased by police, and government agents, MI5 tec etc, when quite plainly wasn't.

He belived hewas being chased in genereal. He was not in a rational mindset. there is a difference.

All the more reason the law is the problem, if he had a place where he could pick up clean supply and use without fear he would have been far less of a risk to himself or others.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

If crime falls in half, our wages fall in half.

It won't cut all of it, but its better than the ludicrous system we have in place now.

It takes a huge leap in society to agree that giving druggies the drugs is far better than jailing them all, but hopefully in time it will happen.

Anyone who works with drug abusers on a regular basis, such as people like Blagsta and myself and other criminal lawyers, agree.

You say you "studied" this. What exactly did you study? Did you meet drug abusers whilst studying? Do you regularly work with drug abusers?
  • Options
    while I do see that point and would agree (I come from a country that has such a system). It wouldnt have made any difference. He was in an irational mindset, he wouldn't have comprehended a "safe place" to go, especially ones provided by the government.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    while I do see that point and would agree (I come from a country that has such a system). It wouldnt have made any difference. He was in an irational mindset, he wouldn't have comprehended a "safe place" to go, especially ones provided by the government.

If you dont mind me asking, which country is this that provides shooting galleries?
  • Options
    Australia. They have places set up where addicts can go and shoot heroin in safety. bThey don't provide the drug though.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Australia. They have places set up where addicts can go and shoot heroin in safety. bThey don't provide the drug though.

And of course the drug is still very much against the law, thus the fear of the Police etc. which is making him drive around.

I'm still having trouble understanding what your position is, you seem intent on pointing out the problems with the prescribing of heroin, yet seem unable to either offer solutions.
  • Options
    I never said I did. And the guy example I gave was in the UK.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I never said I did. And the guy example I gave was in the UK.

So what is your point? That we should have safe places and heroin on script?
  • Options
    no. You asked where the place was where addicts can shoot up and I told you.

I already said, I don't think its as easy as you make out having it on script.

At the moment I am still against it, although your arguments are good ones.. I need more to convice me its a good idea though and practical.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I already said, I don't think its as easy as you make out having it on script.

At the moment I am still against it, although your arguments are good ones.. I need more to convice me its a good idea though and practical.

Why not?

And if we dont, what else should we do?

I presume we can at least agree the current situation isnt working?