Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

drug crime

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    legalise drugs, thats the way forward.
  • Options
    *drunk statement*
  • Options
    why doyou tak eevrything out of context and ail to understand even the most simply of put arguements??

You said that legalising drugs would reduce the crime rate and anything that reduces the crime rate is a good thing yes?

Mt reply is htat if you killed all people convicted of crimes, addicts or not, then you would have a 0% reoffending rate and a dramatically reduced crime rate. Does that make it a good idea? No of course it doesn't. See my point?

Doing the things addicts do is criminal. They are criminals in the acts they carry out, simply by buying, using and seeling drugs. Yes it is medical due to biological responses so why are people on here going on about safe heroin and drugs arent bad, and you can't get addicted unless you take it all regulary for months on end? How is that a good message. Your basically saying you won't get addicted when chances are you will.

People get high from drugs, drug produce biological responses that encourge the user to seek them again. So not one line will make you a full blown must have it now addict, but it will open you up to being on. Your body will have experienced the high and you will get a biological response that you want more. The more you take the more chance you become an addict. It works the same with alcohol, food and even sex. And yes there are pyschological issues to it as well. But thats not a catre blance to take drugs and take no responsibility.

Methadone, the drug used to get addicts off of heroin has been made available on prescription in countries, not sure about this ocuntry mind but has there been any dramatcially reduced crime rate? No. It feeds the addiction just the same as giving "safe" heroin would and it makes no difference.

Think of the human cost here. There is a week long programe on addicts on the biography channel. I can't see it coz I don't have that channel but from what I see I doubt the people in that are calling for legalised drugs and drugs aren't that bad.

Drugs are a plight on society and their are no easy answer. Ironically enough, heroin trade was massively effected when the Taliban ruled Afgahnistan, they shut down the poppy fields but were a bad regime to say the least. Now the country is on the democracy track and the people are better off but the drusg trade is back in business for that area. Its not easy.

Oh and I'm 21 jack ass, puberty, been and gone.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Methadone, the drug used to get addicts off of heroin has been made available on prescription in countries, not sure about this ocuntry mind but has there been any dramatcially reduced crime rate? No. It feeds the addiction just the same as giving "safe" heroin would and it makes no difference.

That would be true if methadone was like heroin, which it isnt, most users dont like it, it doesnt give them the same experience and its a poor version of heroin. Which is why a lot of methadone users also drink alcohol, take benzo's and use heroin as well.

If you gave them the drug they are actually addicted to, rather than a crap version of it, they wouldnt do this.

The problem with this debate is it polarises people, its the love drugs group vs. the hate drugs group. Both arguments then become totally rubbish.

Drugs are a problem, the law as it stands is not making this problem better (see usage rates, rates of addiction etc.). The question is, no matter how you feel about the drugs in question, where do we go from here?

Experience in Holland, Canada, Spain and other countries suggests that focusing on harm reduction and prescribing does reduce the negative impact upon society.
  • Options
    I guess the problem is with government giving out heroin to durg users, it seems like an acceptance of the practice, and no one I would think, would wnat to encourage drug usage, even if it has some benefits.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I guess the problem is with government giving out heroin to durg users, it seems like an acceptance of the practice, and no one I would think, would wnat to encourage drug usage, even if it has some benefits.

But they give out methadone now, is that encouraging drug use?
  • Options
    true. I guess its a necessary evil. As you said its a poorer version of their addiction drug, and its an attempt to try and get them off of drugs so I guess they rationalise it out this way.

I mean giving out methadone now for treatment and given out heroin for addicts would be viewed totally differently I'd wager.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I mean giving out methadone now for treatment and given out heroin for addicts would be viewed totally differently I'd wager.

They may be, but do we want to do whats right and the best solution, or do we want to purely do what the Tabloids think is the best solution?
  • Options
    depends how its handled I guess. You have to get the execution right or else all the planning/ideas/intentions and image are for nothing.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    depends how its handled I guess. You have to get the execution right or else all the planning/ideas/intentions and image are for nothing.

There wouldnt need to be any big change, just move heroin from schedule 2 to one lower down and then GP's could prescribe it like they now do methadone. Simple really.
  • Options
    has to be cleared in parliment and so forth mind. Then they have to do the job themselves.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    has to be cleared in parliment and so forth mind. Then they have to do the job themselves.

So you do think its a good idea? I'm totally at a loss at what your position is.
  • Options
    to be hoenst I don't know. I do see your points and agree that if it turned out that way it would be a good thing. i still think it gives the ok for drugs though and I am unsure how welll it would work out in practice plus if it would have a real impact wwhen there are plenty of other drusg out there that will not be legalised.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    to be hoenst I don't know. I do see your points and agree that if it turned out that way it would be a good thing. i still think it gives the ok for drugs though and I am unsure how welll it would work out in practice plus if it would have a real impact wwhen there are plenty of other drusg out there that will not be legalised.

But what's the difference? By giving any help to addicts you could be seen as saying 'drugs are ok' and I presume you agree needle exchanges are a good idea.

And yes, people may use other drugs, but thats not really the point is it, they wouldn't have to steal or rob for their heroin, something a lot of them have to do now.

And you maybe right, there maybe a small increase in the number of people using heroin, maybe. But I think a huge reduction in the black market, crime, violence, theft etc. is worth that. But you wouldnt see huge numbers of people begging their GP for it, would you try it? Most people just dont fancy the stuff.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

heroin used to be prescribed to addicts until the 1960's.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    heroin used to be prescribed to addicts until the 1960's.

Wasnt methamphetamine prescribed to heroin addicts at one point in the 70's?
  • Options
    I just don't think you can say with any certainity that it would be that great vision you put across.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I just don't think you can say with any certainity that it would be that great vision you put across.

No, you're right, I can not be 100% certain, but we all can be 100% certain that the current law isnt working, wont work and is making the situation worse.
  • Options
    I guess it is lacking. But its a big problem so it requires a big solution. Of course you can get to stages where its entrenched, you could never solve it.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I guess it is lacking. But its a big problem so it requires a big solution. Of course you can get to stages where its entrenched, you could never solve it.

But the solutions dont need to be big, the prescribing of heroin would make a massive change, but it would be easy to do, cheap and would only need a very slight change to the law.

Have a read of this, its a government report into how the law is working, I really really recommend you read it;

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/2005/07/05/Report.pdf
  • Options
    wouldnt solutions be better if they were geeared towards getting the addicts off the drug and prevention of people gting on the drug in the first place? Isn't that where the key lies?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    wouldnt solutions be better if they were geeared towards getting the addicts off the drug and prevention of people gting on the drug in the first place? Isn't that where the key lies?

Yes, but its a holistic approach, you try and get people off heroin, but some dont want to, so its better for them to get their supplies legally.
  • Options
    I suppose that is a fair point. You would have to combine the two though. You couldnt just give addicts heroin on the NHS but nto take steps fro prevention etc.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I suppose that is a fair point. You would have to combine the two though. You couldnt just give addicts heroin on the NHS but nto take steps fro prevention etc.

To be honest even if you did just leave everything else the way it is and prescribed heroin you'd still see a big reduction in crime and death.
  • Options
    Methadone ... more damaging than heroin.
    fine if used as a reduction method when someone realy realy wants to live drug free ...trouble is few do.

heroin ...you can work hard physicaly and mentaly.
    methadone ...you can't..
  • Options
    you can't be at the top of your game though when you are on heroin, even if you can MANAGE, it doesn't mean your fully capable.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    you can't be at the top of your game though when you are on heroin, even if you can MANAGE, it doesn't mean your fully capable.

And how many of us are on tip top form all the time?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

your point is?
  • Options
    no offence but you 2 can't seriously by asking that question?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    no offence but you 2 can't seriously by asking that question?

So someone isnt fully capable all the time, are you fully capable all the time?