Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

First Car?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Crispy wrote:
    Nice very nice :thumb: Clicky

What colour is it?
    She's black, clicky

And I know about the PGAC, my fella is a member, Im sure we've talked about this before :chin: :p
  • Options
    She's black, clicky

And I know about the PGAC, my fella is a member, Im sure we've talked about this before :chin: :p

What kind of Wax you using on that car?

My car is also black it's a nightmare to keep black looking clean!!
  • Options
    My 1st car was a rover metro rio. 10yr old. I was 18 n insurance cost me £700 3rd party!!! oh i ad fun in that car! Got a Vauxhall Corsa SXI now n im payin £500 fully comp!!! :eek:
  • Options
    its not my first car but i have a 1.4 corsa and its cheap on insurance, although 1.2 etc will be even cheaper.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    its not my first car but i have a 1.4 corsa and its cheap on insurance, although 1.2 etc will be even cheaper.

My Dad has a 1.2 Corsa. He wanted a new one, but he was having trouble finding a 4-door 1.2, they all seemes to be either 2-door or 1.4.
  • Options
    My Dad has a 1.2 Corsa. He wanted a new one, but he was having trouble finding a 4-door 1.2, they all seemes to be either 2-door or 1.4.

Mines not a new one, its the older style (R reg) but yes they are hard to find 4 door ones. I got one though :D.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Mines not a new one, its the older style (R reg) but yes they are hard to find 4 door ones. I got one though :D.

Dad's is an X-reg with 4 doors, I think he just wanted a new car. Mid-life crisis or something :chin:
  • Options
    What kind of Wax you using on that car?

My car is also black it's a nightmare to keep black looking clean!!
    Mr Glittery only uses Autoglym stuff on it, that and about 4 hours of elbowgrease.
  • Options
    Mid-life crisis or something :chin:

hehe ok if you afford it :(
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    hehe ok if you afford it :(

He can't, thats the problem :(
  • Options
    He can't, thats the problem :(

Oh dear :/
  • Options
    i have a clio. i love it so.
  • Options
    peugeot 106, cost around £1200 to buy 3 years ago and is an N reg. only had 30k miles on the clock. and still running smoothly! (apart from the petrol guage is broken and she had a service earlier in the year that cost £315 but that's the first one we'd ever given her).
  • Options
    A Toyota Aygo/ Peugot 107/ Citroen C1. Their all the same car underneath.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kentish wrote:
    Do you know what a Nissan Bluebird is? :eek2:

A big shit generic jap box? :p Come on, its good for about £300... alot of car! A four door hatch!
    Skive wrote:
    Bluebirds look jank, but they're very reliable.
    Capris look the business but are a cunt to drive despite the real wheel drive.

Precisley - compromise sadly, a reliable bluebird... or a dangerous slidey capri i'll probably end up taking out a roundabout exit sign. My Dad used to have one, he loved it... but it was dangerous adn they nearly died in Scotland up a mountian. ;p
  • Options
    I'm currently considering getting rid of my Rover 214. I hardly ever use it and its got a petrol leak that I can't find to fix. Took the tank off last weekend, not a trace of a hole. The leak must be at the joint to one of the pipes.

Apart from that its a great car.
  • Options
    She's black, clicky

Oh yeh so we have:blush: Loosing my memory me thinks;) He's got a S16 now hasn't he?
    A Toyota Aygo/ Peugot 107/ Citroen C1. Their all the same car underneath.

The Aygo is the best out of the 3 though as its got Jap build quality & reliability rather than the other 2 being French.
  • Options
    I'm currently considering getting rid of my Rover 214. I hardly ever use it and its got a petrol leak that I can't find to fix. Took the tank off last weekend, not a trace of a hole. The leak must be at the joint to one of the pipes.

Apart from that its a great car.

Heh, unlucky! Thats rather suck. Shurley it'd be cheaper to repair it than get rid of it all together though?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Heh, unlucky! Thats rather suck. Shurley it'd be cheaper to repair it than get rid of it all together though?
    Or he could sell it, Bluebird boy.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Or he could sell it, Bluebird boy.
    That'll sell for loads "Car with peterol leak."

And show me more car for that price than a bluebird. :p Plus if I crash... one less bluebird on the road.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    ... one less bluebird on the road.
    Here's hoping.

Bluebirds were fine family cars in their day. But they won't be reliable now and they won't be cheap to run. Get yourself the cheap Fiesta.

ps He could get the petrol leak repaired and sell the car ;)
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

If he's doing that, why not keep it? :p

The kindof fietsa i'd be buying would be just as old - my budget is <500...

Lada Riva? So the interior would fall apart.. but at least it's built like a tank outside. I really don't want a generic fiesta/nova type thing. Im looking at old saloons/hatches because I intend to drive round the UK with my mate. And hence, more room.

Also could get an old Vovlo. But a cheap Crapi 1.6 is tempting me alot...
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    If he's doing that, why not keep it? :p
    He hardly uses it. Do keep up.
    The kindof fietsa i'd be buying would be just as old - my budget is <500...

Lada Riva? So the interior would fall apart.. but at least it's built like a tank outside. I really don't want a generic fiesta/nova type thing. Im looking at old saloons/hatches because I intend to drive round the UK with my mate. And hence, more room.

Don't get a Lada. And you'll regret getting a £300 Capri. Yes they were cool in their day, but not now.

Get a little runaround cheapy and get a cool car when you can afford it.

If you wanted a bigger car, look at old German cars - one's that are built to last. Volvos would be fine too but check the insurance.
  • Options
    Crispy wrote:
    Oh yeh so we have:blush: Loosing my memory me thinks;) He's got a S16 now hasn't he?
    Umm nope, he's just informed me he doesnt go on PGAC anymore, Scoobynet is his new one, think he's getting ideas above his station :p
  • Options
    Volvo 340 is about the same price, which is good. Trouble with most old German or Swedish things is they come with a fuck-off motor that rakes up insurance. Wonder what an old 3 series is like? *Scarpers off to check.*

Meh, I was planning on getting a Capri and modifying it gradually as insurance fell - a kindof ongoing project - eventually culminating in me reaching 30 and sinking a V8 in. :D So a 1.6 would be a good start as no-one cares about them. Plus, Classic Car Insurance! (Although it would probably be a right shunter, but hey.) I don't realy care about "coolness" or i'd buy a Fiesta and stick a bodykit on it, as that seems to be cool.

However, it'd probably spend more time broken down if we face reality... shame. And whatever is wrong with a Bluebird? They may be boring... (except the ZX turbo. Which I cannot afford.) but if its a reliable first car, I don't care. And it'll teach me what not to buy in future, from what everyone has said. :p
  • Options
    A car over 20 years old will not be reliable.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    So I should spend money on something I'm going to sell? I think I'll just hang onto it for the minute.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

Im looking at old saloons/hatches because I intend to drive round the UK with my mate. And hence, more room.

why don't you just use your fighter jet? :D
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Gerbil, get youselef a van if you plan to go round the country with your mate.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Gerbil, get youselef a van if you plan to go round the country with your mate.

But wouldn't insurance be madness?

And talk of Jet Fighters, there is a Sea Harrier on Milweb for 25k