Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Boycotts and buying ethically

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think everyone should read an amazing book on this topic, it is called No Logo and it is by Naomi Klein.

here is the website
  • Options
    I attempt to source as much meat and veg locally as possible.

I never buy meat from supermarkets I know dont treat the animals well (Asda are really nasty).

I always buy fair trade organic coffe.

I try to never buy fish which isnt signed off by the Marine Stewardship Council.

And I try to reduce the food miles I eat as much as possible.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I attempt to source as much meat and veg locally as possible.

I never buy meat from supermarkets I know dont treat the animals well (Asda are really nasty).

I always buy fair trade organic coffe.

I try to never buy fish which isnt signed off by the Marine Stewardship Council.

And I try to reduce the food miles I eat as much as possible.

that last one is the least 'emotional' reasons to change shopping habits yet probably one of the most important
  • Options
    leese wrote:
    I think everyone should read an amazing book on this topic, it is called No Logo and it is by Naomi Klein.

here is the website

For your interest

http://www.unige.ch/ses/ecopo/demelo/Commerce/segerstrom03.pdf
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Is it wrong for a Brit to go on holiday to Nigeria?
    Difficult question...

Environmentally, yes... However tourism may benefit the local economy... Slightly.

I suppose it depends on the individual and whether the care about human rights or not. Can we trust the tourism board to look after the environment there? Will the people even get a share of the money or will it all go to governments?
  • Options
    Difficult question...

Environmentally, yes... However tourism may benefit the local economy... Slightly.

I suppose it depends on the individual and whether the care about human rights or not. Can we trust the tourism board to look after the environment there? Will the people even get a share of the money or will it all go to governments?
    So if you're equivocal on tourism, and equivocal on trade, how will you help to develop the third world?
  • Options
    Sounds like the poor people are fucked to me.........
  • Options
    Can I ask why you would want to help the third world?

And what do you think would happen if the positions reverse?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Can I ask why you would want to help the third world?
    I suppose humanity has a basic desire to relieve suffering wherever possible, and that would include starving people and sick people in far off lands. And I think there is a reasonable view that society should develop economically and technologically to improve the living conditions of its members.
    And what do you think would happen if the positions reverse?
    I don't follow...if the West become poor and the developing world became rich? I expect they would be equally reluctant to get involved in our affairs until the global wealth divide caused as many problems as it currently does, terrorism being just one risk.
  • Options
    boycottisrael.gif

:yes:

Would you eat a Jaffa Cake :confused:
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Would you eat a Jaffa Cake :confused:

Jaffa cakes are puke.gif
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    It means I posted something, then thought better of it and deleted it. In this case, a response to morrocon roll's childish shit stirring.
    you are so fucking fragile!

your a great guy ...when everyones agreeing with you ...get a little of what you dish out and ...crumple!
    get some fucking backbone ...and try googling humour ...or even better ...find a book about it.
    spotty fucking nerd ...
  • Options
    you are so fucking fragile!

your a great guy ...when everyones agreeing with you ...get a little of what you dish out and ...crumple!
    get some fucking backbone ...and try googling humour ...or even better ...find a book about it.
    spotty fucking nerd ...

Fucking grow up you childish little prick.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    All I can say is thank God Israel got the holy places and the Arabs got the oily places - lot easier to boycott Oranges than petrol.
    very good point.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Fucking grow up you childish little prick.
    you realy have lost the plot.

all this is because i joked i would boycot anything YOU read ...and used the word objectification ...
    your one sad depressing bastard.
    pleas put me on your ignore list.
  • Options
    you realy have lost the plot.

all this is because i joked i would boycot anything YOU read ...and used the word objectification ...
    your one sad depressing bastard.
    pleas put me on your ignore list.

Stop spewing your shit round multiple threads.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Stop spewing your shit round multiple threads.
    i take it your humour was attatched to your spleen.
    i haven't said anything nasty.
    i haven't used words you don't use.
    you insult and belittle people often.
    you dismiss people as idiots.
    i make a few wisecracks ...and you crack!
    is it getting to much for you that a lot of people are dis agreeing with you ...dismissing your comments?

what HAS happened to you?
  • Options
    I don't appreciate you spewing your shite across multiple threads. As I said in my PM to you, if you have a problem with me on a particular thread on a particular subject, keep it to that thread. Making snide comments on multiple threads (no matter how much it was meant in "humour") is not on. Yes, I'm aware that I have brought things up on other threads with people, but that's has been when it is relevant. Not just snidey digs for the sake of it*.

To be honest, I'm wondering what's happened to you. You used to be reasonably intelligent, these days you just go off at me based on one post without reading the context of the thread. Try reading the thread before going off on one, you end up getting the wrong end of the stick otherwise.
  • Options
    *unless its Born Slippy of course. He deserves it.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I don't appreciate you spewing your shite across multiple threads. As I said in my PM to you, if you have a problem with me on a particular thread on a particular subject, keep it to that thread. Making snide comments on multiple threads (no matter how much it was meant in "humour") is not on. Yes, I'm aware that I have brought things up on other threads with people, but that's has been when it is relevant. Not just snidey digs for the sake of it*.

To be honest, I'm wondering what's happened to you. You used to be reasonably intelligent, these days you just go off at me based on one post without reading the context of the thread. Try reading the thread before going off on one, you end up getting the wrong end of the stick otherwise.
    Are you OK?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Are you OK?

Yes thanks. You?
  • Options
    Actually, I may have overreacted a bit - I have recently been diagnosed with a chronic condition - I am carrying round a bit of baggage at the moment. I apologise...a bit. My point still stands though, making snidey digs across threads ain't on - unless its Born Slippy.
  • Options
    Jaffa cakes are puke.gif

They're the best thing to come out of Britain.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    They're the best thing to come out of Britain.

yuk - I suppose its all a matter of taste
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Actually, I may have overreacted a bit - I have recently been diagnosed with a chronic condition - I am carrying round a bit of baggage at the moment. I apologise...a bit. My point still stands though, making snidey digs across threads ain't on - unless its Born Slippy.
    But that is your trademark. You can quite happily justify your brutal attacks on others because you feel that their opinions are ridiculous (and you might be right). I think mr was just trying to point that out.

Good luck to you Blag.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    But that is your trademark. You can quite happily justify your brutal attacks on others because you feel that their opinions are ridiculous (and you might be right). I think mr was just trying to point that out.

Maybe he can do that on the thread concerned and not spread it all over the forum?
    Kentish wrote:
    Good luck to you Blag.

Thank you. :)
  • Options
    yuk - I suppose its all a matter of taste

Or it just tells you about the state of this country ;)

Before people slay me down as an ungrateful foreigner who should just fuck back off to Denmark, the above is a JOKE
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    turlough wrote:
    No I don't boycott anything...there's not much point. There's other ways of getting your point across tbh.

And most of them are more effective.
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Before people slay me down as an ungrateful foreigner who should just fuck back off to Denmark, the above is a JOKE

And anyone who says it regardless is a twat. If someone foreign can't criticise a country, what is the world coming too?