Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The story that surprised no one.

We've known for over a month now that this was going to happen. And now it has. Click here.

There's been so much talk about this that I really can't get excited. Wish him well, hope he gives this discredited, failed government a good kicking. Yawn.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    cool. Good luck to him, I am looking forwardto seeing what he can do.
  • Options
    Well it's good news for the Tories and even for the country as a whole. Having an ineffective, weak opposition helps no-one.

Cameron certainly seems more compassionate and human than most other Tories.

Now let's see what role he gives Davis (if any) in the shadow cabinet. There were rumours Cameron might execute a purge of Thatcherites and right-wingers from the top Tory ranks, which would be a very nice thing indeed.
  • Options
    I don't think so.

He is giving Liam Fox a prominent position and he is a right winger.
  • Options
    David Cameron is a right-winger Conservative who is quite a Thatcherite, i thought that was the whole point of why he was so popular with the people of the country?

He is giving David Davis either the Shadow Home secretary position or the shadow defense secretay position i think. William Hague is back as Shadow foreign secretary!

Good luck to the Torries now!
  • Options
    William Hague is back!!! Sweet. He was quick ass and well funny.
  • Options
    Cameron as leader. About time - Ive always said hes the man to rebuild the Tories.
  • Options
    Yay!!!!

Right jackboot of government has selected a new big toe!!!

At least the people who steal from us all have a new, compassionate face. :rolleyes:

Top phrases he used like "reduce the amount of government" and "more police" tickle me. And people clap???!!!
  • Options
    And Carol Thatcher won some gameshow last night (accoridng to my wife - I boycott ITV because it crap). is the start of the resurgence of the right.
  • Options
    thats a good thing I think.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    William Hague is back!!! Sweet. He was quick ass and well funny.
    did you see him on the telly last night?
    something strange going on.
    he was answering questions with ...well the policies I'M now going to put in place ...
    is he back ...or is he ...back?
  • Options
    I thought Cameron was from the left-wing of the Tory party.
  • Options
    It is more openminded and moderate than most, though amongst Tory ranks that's not particularly difficult ;)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    It is more openminded and moderate than most, though amongst Tory ranks that's not particularly difficult ;)
    True, but perhaps he'll legalise the good stuff?
  • Options
    William Hague is BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yess!!!! He was da man! I reckon if he'd have been leadre at the last election they would have won. He came in at a a time when labour had down some good for the country, tony was popular still and no iraq war. It should have been ian dunc smith first, then howard, then Hague!

I'm looking forward to some humerous debates in the house of comons now.

Have you seen him on Have I got news for you?? Well funny and the best presenter on it.
  • Options
    What I want to know is, will Boris be offered a shadow cabinet job?

WE WANT BORIS!!!

:D
  • Options
    Bring back Heseltine, hair that bad deserves another run in the spotlight!!
  • Options
    Yeah!! Boris Johnson rules! The most honest politician in britian!!! I hope he does. Finally the torries will have some faces in the cabinent.
  • Options
    It will be nasty but he needs to do to the Tories what Blair did to Labour, otherwise they are doomed, they havent gained in the polls for a dozen years isnt it?

If they stood on a platform of a freeze on the growth in the government, and liberal ideas in terms of peoples personal life I think they would have a good chance.

Any mention of immigration, or being 'tough on crime' and they are going to sound exactly the same.

One of his supporters said something really interesting on the news;

"Its not because of our policies that people arent voting for us, its because we are Tories"
  • Options
    your right there. They need a Tony Blair in Tory version. Faces, humour, good image and some sweet policies. If they have that, they'll win.
  • Options
    Just watching Prime Minister's Questions now. From what I've seen so far, it's pretty clear that Blair's been practising his lines against Cameron for some time now. More later.
  • Options
    I'd imagine the Conservative Party analysts will have been working on the best possible script for Cameron. The only question is how can he deliver them.

To be honest too much emphasis is put in PMQTs. William Hague was an excellent orator and very often had the upper hand in such controntations. Look at the good it did him.

Boo-ya politics don't do service to anybody concerned, and I for one salute Cameron's plea to abandon such tactics and to try to make opposition more constructive.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'd imagine the Conservative Party analysts will have been working on the best possible script for Cameron. The only question is how can he deliver them.

To be honest too much emphasis is put in PMQTs. William Hague was an excellent orator and very often had the upper hand in such controntations. Look at the good it did him.

Boo-ya politics don't do service to anybody concerned, and I for one salute Cameron's plea to abandon such tactics and to try to make opposition more constructive.

At the same time the Opposition's job is to oppose. And PMQTs (and other Question Times for other Ministers have a point). They force politicians to know the details of their jobs and defend their policies. They toughen up politicians and make them aware they are accountable.

Look at the ease Galloway (at best an adequate Parliamentary performer) was able to shred the US questioning of him.

Whilst PMQTs may not have done Hague any good they didn't do him any harm. And they are a constant reminders to Prime Ministers and Ministers that they are answerable to Parliament and the British people.
  • Options
    Point by point - today's PMQs.

It was different, I'll tell you that much. Would Michael Howard have ever said "The first issue that the Prime Minister and I will have to work together on is getting the good bits of his education reforms through the House of Commons and into law", for example? Strange new strategy from Cameron.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Its a lot of fun though isnt it, look at the US, or any other Parliment, they are deathly dull.
  • Options
    I missed it! Heard in background at work. I heard there was a lot of laughter so maybe it came across well.

I like th ehumour, the jokes and the laughs. If you got that combined with making the government look bad, liek idiots, like liars and you have it in the bag.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I like th ehumour, the jokes and the laughs. If you got that combined with making the government look bad, liek idiots, like liars and you have it in the bag.

Nope, parliment is very secondary to the media, Camaron could get Blair on the ropes every day but if the Tabloids and BSkyB was still with Blair the rest of the country would be too.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Nope, parliment is very secondary to the media, Camaron could get Blair on the ropes every day but if the Tabloids and BSkyB was still with Blair the rest of the country would be too.
    If you took The Sun alone as a tabloid, and BSkyB, that would equate solely to "if Rupert Murdoch was still with Blair". Scary, isn't it? :(
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    At the same time the Opposition's job is to oppose. And PMQTs (and other Question Times for other Ministers have a point). They force politicians to know the details of their jobs and defend their policies. They toughen up politicians and make them aware they are accountable.

Look at the ease Galloway (at best an adequate Parliamentary performer) was able to shred the US questioning of him.

Whilst PMQTs may not have done Hague any good they didn't do him any harm. And they are a constant reminders to Prime Ministers and Ministers that they are answerable to Parliament and the British people.
    To a degree. It is also true that boo-ya politics are a turn off for anyone seriously interested in politics and current affairs. Rather than seeing serious debate you just see one side cracking personal jokes at someone from the other side, to the cheers of one half of the House and jeers from the other.

Look at the response to Brown's revised economic outlook the other night. Claims of "utter humiliation" and snide remarks at "Brown having waited so long at number 11 now" (blimey that's really new and original!) by the Tories, instead of a serious, point by point assestment of the forecast and how they would address it. It's all about scoring points and settling scores now, which is really silly because at the end of the day Labour will always come on top when it comes to deciding who to vote for.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It's all about scoring points and settling scores now, which is really silly because at the end of the day Labour will always come on top when it comes to deciding who to vote for.

Always? It could be closer than we think next time, and the time after that is anyones for the taking.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Point by point - today's PMQs.

It was different, I'll tell you that much. Would Michael Howard have ever said "The first issue that the Prime Minister and I will have to work together on is getting the good bits of his education reforms through the House of Commons and into law", for example? Strange new strategy from Cameron.

Not strange at all - in fact a stroke of brilliance. Cameron knows how reactionary and conservative the Parlimantary Labour Party are. What he's seeking to do is exploit the gap between the PM and his backbenchers - much like the Labour did on Europe with Major.