Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Citalopram pills taken through the nose?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in Health & Wellbeing
Currently on two pills a day at 20mg each. I have this crazy idea about crushing one of the pills into 'dust' and snorting it thorugh the nose. Dangerous? No effect? Work just as well as in pill form with water? Any answers/advice appreciated.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    No effect. People that snort anti depressents need a serious looking into. It has zero, no effect. Why the hell do you think they say it takes a while to start working, it takes a while to wear off. They are not instant. Why the hell anybody would even think of snorting it, besides the fact they think they want to look cool by shoving stuff up their nose is just beyond me. Its not a crazy idea, its a stupid moronic pointless idea.
  • Options
    Currently on two pills a day at 20mg each. I have this crazy idea about crushing one of the pills into 'dust' and snorting it thorugh the nose. Dangerous? No effect? Work just as well as in pill form with water? Any answers/advice appreciated.
    I don't think that's a good idea.

Citalopram are an SSRI so take at least a few weeks to work. I can't imagine snorting them would do anything much.

Also the pills are coated in a film of some type which would make it a lot more difficult.

What effects are you hoping to achieve from them?
  • Options
    A high maybe? Anything to stop me cutting. OK so there are street drugs etc. I want to misuse medication which will bring benefit to me. My councellor reminded me it I could be using them for 3 - 6 months. I don't have that time. Sorry. I've asked my social worker to meet his health team to discuss using something stronger. I'm on the edge right now and just wanted to be sure of this. Any other questions?
  • Options
    A high maybe?
    Snorting Citalopram won't give you a high.
  • Options
    Taking it properly is what makes it work.
  • Options
    Snorting it would give you a sore nose and possibly a nosebleed. Misusing ADs is not generally a good idea. I understand the timescale is hard. Really I do. My uni doctor here who I've met once told me I'll probably be on prozac for the next year and I nearly screamed. They may help if you take them properly?
  • Options
    I am taking them properly. Brief history. Back in October I started, there was an immediate lift from just one a day. I felt on top of the world. I cannot describe this in words. I felt amazing. My doctor said this was quick but my body will 'come down' but at a higher level than being depressed all the time. Suddenly, after 7 days it stopped. I hadn't self - harmed in this time and when I did I felt relief so stopped taking the citopram. Now up to 2 a day and yes it will take time. What? I want to feel like I did initally. Buzzing. The delays in my post are due to my Dad having yet another go at me for not working. He is a dictator. Anyway, now everyone says not to do this, I suppose the blade is still my hope. Hell, maybe I will crush all the remaining 30-40 pills I have left and swallow them, sniff them etc. I tried OD before on something else but it just made me ill for a while and hence all the medication and seeing people.
  • Options
    If this is genuine, you need to go back to the doctor who prescribed the Citalopram in the first place and discuss it.
  • Options
    just to save you the bother 30-40 citalopram wont kill you.
    SSRI's wont kill you.
    Also- 3-6months is a short time on ad's.
  • Options
    Crushing pills up and snorting them will do nothing but damage your nose.

If you want a high from sniffing get some speed or coke. Not advising just saying like.
  • Options
    I was actually thinking of sniffing insolvants instead as I have zero confidence to get any other drugs at all and I have no idea where to anyway.

How about heating up the citalopram?
  • Options
    for the last time.

CITALOPRAM wont give you a high.
  • Options
    I was actually thinking of sniffing insolvants instead as I have zero confidence to get any other drugs at all and I have no idea where to anyway.

How about heating up the citalopram?

No, won't work.

And take it from someone who's been there, done that, solvents are far more dangerous than 99% of street drugs.
  • Options
    Solvents have done nothing. Maybe I just can't use them properly. I hate who I am and how I feel. My uni councellor will have her work cut out on Monday to get me to speak.
  • Options
    RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Tonyjugger wrote: »
    hey kid be careful . first pills need at least 3 month to work and doing as you please is a waste of time and energy for your poor body who is fighting with those chemicals . get some cannabis itll be better and second the doctors are not giving you the best pills and the withdrawals of this one includes anger and hostility the drop is normal and figure this ... when you will get just a little older. you will understand things better . dont give up . you are beautiful . take care of yourself

Just to say @Tonyjugger I've had to delete your response and sink this thread because it's quite old now, it's great that you're trying to give advice to other people on the boards but try to keep an eye out for how old a thread is before you respond. ;)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,313 Part of The Furniture
    gilo654 wrote: »
    It doesn't do anything. I tried it. It just burns like hell
    What an interesting thread. @gilo654 just a heads up I removed your post and closed this discussion as it's almost 20 years old, and we have a rule where don't bump old conversations that are no longer relevant to the OP. Instead, you could create a new discussion to talk about snorting SSRIs if you like and the community will be happy to chat about it. :)
    The truth resists simplicity.
This discussion has been closed.