Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pirated/copied software - Christians

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    Do we have to use terms of abuse? I swear, this board has a nasty attitude problem when it comes to religion.

Well seeing as I was scarred as a child by Christianity, I feel I have a right to say such things.
  • Options
    You wouldn't happen to live in Chalfont St. Peter by any chance, would you Mr Sacrifice?
  • Options
    Naaah, its def not RK. I don't really have a problem with MS, I just like baiting people when I'm stuck at home recuperating.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    You wouldn't happen to live in Chalfont St. Peter by any chance, would you Mr Sacrifice?

No, South Wales.

This is the second time I've been asked if I'm somone I'm not - I'm sure the moderators can check my IP address to clarify.
  • Options
    For the users of the site who are Christians, what is your feeling on pirated/cracked software - would you use it?

I am a Christian and I see no problems with pirated software if you don't profit from it. I would use it if I was into that sort of thing :).
  • Options
    What about stealing a mobile phone - as long as I don't profit from it? Is that OK too?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What about stealing a mobile phone - as long as I don't profit from it? Is that OK too?

Depends, I've found 2 mobiles in my life, took the sim out and used it for myself. Just good luck imo.
  • Options
    It becomes awkward with pirated software.

I won't steal from people, but I will steal from those who steal from me. And the corporations do.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Depends, I've found 2 mobiles in my life, took the sim out and used it for myself. Just good luck imo.

Did you steal them?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It becomes awkward with pirated software.

I won't steal from people, but I will steal from those who steal from me. And the corporations do.

Do they, what has been stolen form you by corporations?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Did you steal them?

I stole one and found the other but the reason why I stole the first one was because I got my previous phone stolen myself so I thought why not?
  • Options
    Are you a Christian?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Are you a Christian?

Officially I'm a Roman Catholic.

In reality I think both you and I know that I'm not a practicing Christain.

And what has being a Christain got to do with stealing mobile phones :confused:
  • Options
    Because Christians have certain moral principles, thats what the thread is about.........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Do they, what has been stolen form you by corporations?
    His hard-earned cash, I would imagine.

I would also imagine he's referring to the daylight robbery that is price-fixing, as all music, game and film companies do when it comes to Europe.

As far as I'm concerned, for as long as these corporations continue to rip off entire continents by their price fixing robbery scheme, they fucking deserve anything that comes to them including piracy.

Perhaps if they ceased to rob us like that they would see a decrease in piracy and illegally-downloaded products :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Because Christians have certain moral principles, thats what the thread is about.........

Supposedly they have.

Atheists of agnostics like myself are perfectly capable of having our own morals, I don't need some raggy book to tell me how I should live my life.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Supposedly they have.

Atheists of agnostics like myself are perfectly capable of having our own morals, I don't need some raggy book to tell me how I should live my life.
    Word.

I'd take it even further and suggest that atheists and agnostics seem to have a larger percentage of people with a good sense of morals amongst them than Christians do, but that's another matter...
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Officially I'm a Roman Catholic.

In reality I think both you and I know that I'm not a practicing Christain.

And what has being a Christain got to do with stealing mobile phones :confused:

because this thread is about a Christian wanting to justify his thieving
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    because this thread is about a Christian wanting to justify his thieving

He brought the Christain issue in, not me or you. I don't it should be about religion, just fucking either use the pirated software or not. When I first read the thread I though "Who the fuck is this person"

Aladin. Well not sure about having better morals but generally we're a lot more open minded and ready to accept others opinions.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    He brought the Christain issue in, not me or you..

Yes, and that's what I'm interested in. Felix da Housecat (a Christian) says that stealing is OK as long as you don't profit from it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I will steal from those who steal from me. And the corporations do.

I'm sure jesus would have had something to say about that.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

If you download a crack for a demo, how it that stealing?
  • Options
    Because its using something that you should have paid for. Duh!
  • Options
    Yeah but copying isn't stealing though, is it, Blagsta?

The original is unharmed. You still owe though, just from reciprocity.
  • Options
    Hmmmm, yeah, shades of Baudrillard. However, you are still using something that legally you are supposed to pay for. That is theft, n'est pa?
  • Options
    Hmmmm, yeah, shades of Baudrillard. However, you are still using something that legally you are supposed to pay for. That is theft, n'est pa?

Legally means fuck all. It's just someone's opinions written on paper. Yeah, yeah they have force and all that but if they said breathing was theft it wouldn't make it so.

I say follow your conscience on it. If you download something and think you would have been willing to pay for it normally, go buy one. If you don't they haven't lost a sale because you wouldn't have bought it anyway.
  • Options
    I think "legally" is what counts here.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Because its using something that you should have paid for. Duh!

Yeah good point, your right. Although it's not doing anyone any harm by using software cracks or using music you've downloaded.
  • Options
    So stealing is justified as long as no one gets harmed? What about the programmers who don't get paid?
  • Options
    I think "legally" is what counts here.

More opinions! Aren't they great. Everyone can have one. Pass the paper round, let's all make up a law.