Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pirated/copied software - Christians

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aren't you well klintock?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So stealing is justified as long as no one gets harmed? What about the programmers who don't get paid?

Programmers get paid when people buy their software and there will always be more people who buy software than download it for free. One of the main reasons why people use pirated software is because they simply cannot aford to pay 2/3/400 quid for the product. I very much doubt the handful of people who do this will make software devs go hungry.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Perhaps if they ceased to rob us like that they would see a decrease in piracy and illegally-downloaded products :rolleyes:

Well yes but that woulnd't happen at all is it because 'moral principles' that you are being 'ripped off' by the corporations are not most peoples consideration here is it?

It is simple self-interest and greed, but that doesn't sound so nice does it?
  • Options
    Programmers get paid when people buy their software and there will always be more people who buy software than download it for free. One of the main reasons why people use pirated software is because they simply cannot aford to pay 2/3/400 quid for the product. I very much doubt the handful of people who do this will make software devs go hungry.

next time I can't afford the latest pair of trainers, I'll remember that :D
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

You usually have no problem with that
  • Options
    The obvious difference between stealing from a shop and copying software is that copying leaves the riginal intact.

This means that there is no loss to the original owner. So how do they claim for damages from you?
  • Options
    I don't think the law has kept up with French philosophy yet.
  • Options
    I do have a friend that's christian - or mormon to be more specific - and he does download software illegally, so do all muslims I know - about 11.

To answer your Q, there are more strict christians and less strict. I think it's that which determines whether they break the law by illegally downloading software.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It becomes awkward with pirated software.

I won't steal from people, but I will steal from those who steal from me. And the corporations do.
    so the jesus your practising with was born in sherwood forrest.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    The obvious difference between stealing from a shop and copying software is that copying leaves the riginal intact.

This means that there is no loss to the original owner. So how do they claim for damages from you?

Klintock: I genuinely enjoy your matter of fact opinions on the world. IMO you have a cracking way of looking at things.

As far as the original copy being left intact goes though, with software you never buy an "original" in the true sense of the word. In fact to buy the original you'd probably have to purchase the computer the software / music was composed on. Also, i do disagree with the principal of if i appreciate something i have recieved then i am indebted to give something in return. I think a lot of the things i appreciate the most have been given to me with no expectations in return.

As far as the Christian view on pirated software and music goes i agree with Blagsta, you're stealing, simple as. The 8th commadment ties that one up pretty well.
  • Options
    As far as the original copy being left intact goes though, with software you never buy an "original" in the true sense of the word. In fact to buy the original you'd probably have to purchase the computer the software / music was composed on. Also, i do disagree with the principal of if i appreciate something i have recieved then i am indebted to give something in return. I think a lot of the things i appreciate the most have been given to me with no expectations in return.

I agree. It's why I said that if you like what you download you should feel obligated to go buy one. If you don't like it, then really you haven't done anything wrong as far as I am concerned.

Now, selling lots and lots of copies wouldn't be stealing, but it would be fraud, because you are selling it like you are the owner/originator, which you obviously are not.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Now, selling lots and lots of copies wouldn't be stealing, but it would be fraud, because you are selling it like you are the owner/originator, which you obviously are not.
    simple realy and i can't understand why a practising christian would have to even post such a question.
    it's criminal.
  • Options
    Klintock: I genuinely enjoy your matter of fact opinions on the world. IMO you have a cracking way of looking at things.

As far as the Christian view on pirated software and music goes i agree with Blagsta, you're stealing, simple as. The 8th commadment ties that one up pretty well.

People don't seem to make a big fuss about copying a mates new music CD do they, I bet 90% of people on here at one time or another have either copied a CD/tape or had a copied one given to them.
  • Options
    Still technically theft though innit?
  • Options
    People don't seem to make a big fuss about copying a mates new music CD do they, I bet 90% of people on here at one time or another have either copied a CD/tape or had a copied one given to them.
    99% aint practising xtrianity.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Still technically theft though innit?

Yeah it is, but it just seems stuff like that gets over looked more than Joe Bloggs downloading pirated tunes.

Is there anything in the the big book of God that says your not allowed to receive stolen goods? I see a potential loophole if not ;).
  • Options
    Is there anything in the the big book of God ;).

yes ...in the book of microsoft it plainly states at verse seven chapter one ...thou shalt not covet thy nighbours digitals.
  • Options
    yes ...in the book of microsoft it plainly states at verse seven chapter one ...thou shalt not covet thy nighbours digitals.

Unless it's for a good cause, like "testing".
  • Options
    Unless it's for a good cause, like "testing".
    a good example don't you think of why xtrianity won't work
    cos no one likes the little details ...find lots of reasons ...mostly sensible ones ...as to why such and such doesn't apply to them?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    It's a form of Communism if you download it!!!1 damn you commies!11

Ahem. From a Christian point of view, there is little wrong with it as far as I can see. The Bible teaches us to be non-materialistic, and few are as materialistic and profiteering than publishers. Publishers are Evil. I am willing to support Vavle over steam, as hopefully they will eventually be able to use such systems to remove publishers from the equation - and give us the software directally from developer to customer. It also allows a great maount of feedback - it is truely the next step, I hope, for us.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Well yes but that woulnd't happen at all is it because 'moral principles' that you are being 'ripped off' by the corporations are not most peoples consideration here is it?

For some it is. For many others it isn't. Some people are always going to try to get things for free, especially if it is as easy as a few mouse clicks away. But many others would not bother if they didn't feel they weren't being ripped off, believe me.

I have never met anyone who (when discussing electronics prices) wasn't utterly disgusted at the fact that DVDs, CDs and games cost between 60% and 100% more on average in Europe than they do in the States. And that to add insult to injury the manufactures have imposed manufacturing techniques that prevent US-made products to work in Europe.

That is the pinnacle of greed and utter cuntiness. And that makes countless people's blood boil and decide to get their own back by buying pirate copies or downloading them for free.

When the greedy cheating scumbags who run the business play fair, they can start to demand the same of others. Not a second before.
  • Options
    Manufacturers don't like to admit it, but piracy generates interest. It's no coincidence that the biggest illegal dowloaders are also the biggest customers. Would the original Playstation have been so successful if no-one knew that they could use copied games on it? Last year, a friend of mine got illegal copies of The OC on his computer, and a group of six us sat down to watch them all. Out of that group, three now how the boxed set, and all of us watched the second series when it came on television.

But in a purely technical sense, it is stealing. It's kind of an a par with sneaking into the cinema. They were showing the film anyway, and you're not costing them any money, but if everyone did it, there would be no cinema.

As for computer software, prices of £400-500 isn't much if you plan to use the software to make money, but if you wanted to learn how to use Photoshop, for example to put on your CV, it is not really worth that sort of money. I tend to used licenced software, but I draw the line at not being allowed to install it on more than one computer, especially if it's in the same house and you'll only use one at a time (can see why they exist for businesses though). I'm sure that if they could, CD's would come with a listening licence, where you have to pay extra for more than one person to listen to it.

Just out of interest is lending CD's and DVD's to friends technically illegal. After all it does say 'No unauthorised lending' on those annoying warning things at the start of DVD's (One of the many irritating anti-piracy features put on DVD/CD's that make me lose my sympathy for the manufacturers by the second).
  • Options
    My mum and stepdad are christian, they will never download or watch pirated films - far as they are concerned it's simply theft and they don't believe in stealing, don't think it has ever been any kind of difficult decision, it just seemed obvious to them.

On a side note, pirate computer games are slighly different to pirate movies and tv - it's only recently that pirate movies, etc has really been a big issue - whereas pirate games have always exsisted on a massive scale - from homebrew hacks on the spectrum through pirated releases on the Amiga up to Deviance rips these days - I would imagine it has always been part of a companies business model, not that that is a justification.
  • Options
    And as to software for CVs - just about everything like photoshop and flash all come with full 30 day trials - all you really need is to use them for that time to get good enough to mention them on a CV
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Jim V wrote:
    ...Deviance rips...

Deviance are sadly no-more, last thing I heard. :(
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    That is the pinnacle of greed and utter cuntiness. And that makes countless people's blood boil and decide to get their own back by buying pirate copies or downloading them for free.

Are the companies forcing you to have their product?
  • Options
    No they're not. No one is forcing them to artificially keep prices up to 100% more expensive in Europe either. And since what they're doing is not only wrong but probably illegal (only no one has had the balls yet to stamp down on it- far too much at stake) then they cannot complain much if some people decide they're rather have it for free than being ripped off for no good reason whatsoever.
  • Options
    Two wrongs dont make a right.
  • Options
    Yeah perhaps... then again I've never had a problem on principle robbing from a thief.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Yeah perhaps... then again I've never had a problem on principle robbing from a thief.

But is putting your prices up knowing full well that people are willing to pay it theft?