Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pirated/copied software - Christians

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For the users of the site who are Christians, what is your feeling on pirated/cracked software - would you use it?

Comments

• Options
    :confused:
  • Options
    What bit did you not understand...?
  • Options
    Well, I ain't a christian, but here's the crux of the problem.

It's not theft, but it's not right either.

Look at it this way - if someone does something for you, you feel grateful towards them (if you are normal) and owe them something in return.

So, if something is genuinely useful to you, then express your gratitude to the maker. If it isn't, I see no reason for you to pay anything.
  • Options
    no harm done imo

depends entirely on the software, it''s use, the company who makes it and if you can afford it or not...

i have a 'friend' who uses chemdraw, a program to draw molecules and it works out theoretical properties - its license costs over a grand so it's used illegally and its no harm to the company cause if it wasn't available illegally it wouldn't be used by my 'friend'

on the other hand i know plenty of people with illegal versions of windows and office, mainly because office costs too much, i use a free open source thing (www.openoffice.org) but for some purposes office is your only option. And for many they use windows illegally as they have windows on one computer legally, then when they change computers, or have another in the house, they can't be arsed to bother trying to install a windows that comes with prebuilt computers, or can't be arsed trying to get microsoft to give them another cd key to use in their home

depends entirely on all the things i said before it's a grey moral area, but it ain't theft as some aspects of copyright law are blatantly out of order like the software patent system they have in the US or the reverse engineering, or demonstrating flaws in security systems like that russian guy who got arrested in america for showing at a computer fair he found a way to circumvent the security on protected ebooks (mainly just to show it could be done, not to screw the company)
  • Options
    Thanks all but I'm specifically looking for the opinions of practising Christians for now.
  • Options
    Thanks all but I'm specifically looking for the opinions of practising Christians for now.

Don't bother, there aren't any.
  • Options

technically all christans are practising christians, unless they're stupid enough to think you can only pray in church :s
  • Options
    What bit did you not understand...?
    What exactly has Christianity got to do with it...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    What exactly has Christianity got to do with it...

I suspect the idea behind the question is whether Christians are prepared to break the law.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Don't bother, there aren't any.

erm, i beg to differ.......and no i don't have any qualms about using pirate software, lol i'm sure i have much worse sins to confess than not contributing to some fatcat software company's profits.....truth is i can't afford to buy it, greedy gits shouldn't charge so much then piracy might not be such a problem, same goes for the music industry.....
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    I suspect the idea behind the question is whether Christians are prepared to break the law.
    Yeah maybe... though the question should be asked to all of us, regardless of religious denomination.

If I were to single out Christians for a question, I'd instead ask them if they resent paying taxes and try to avoid paying them or at least try to pay at little as possible through different schemes. And if the answer is yes, I'd ask them how they can combine such sentiments with their alleged Christian beliefs...

But that's another issue altogether.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:

No, it's because I use one or two pirated programmes and am looking more and more in to Christianity - I want to iron out a few issues before I take it further.
    aladdin wrote:
    Yeah maybe... though the question should be asked to all of us, regardless of religious denomination.

Not in this case.
  • Options
    erm, i beg to differ.......

Stoned any homosexuals lately?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Could you keep that sort of question for the relevant thread please.
  • Options
    My brother-in-law is a Christian and won't use illegal software. However, I suspect its as much to do with him making a living from programming as a Christian stance.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    My brother-in-law is a Christian and won't use illegal software. However, I suspect its as much to do with him making a living from programming as a Christian stance.

That's interesting - would you possibly be able to ask him to clarify the exact reason(s) please? I'd find that most helpful.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

:lol: have you actually read the bible? i do believe somewhere it says 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone'.......so it's all down to interpretation really, nice try though.
  • Options
    That's interesting - would you possibly be able to ask him to clarify the exact reason(s) please? I'd find that most helpful.

No - I have better things to do with my time, thanks.
  • Options
    Wow thanks.... :banghead:
  • Options
    have you actually read the bible?

Yes, that's why I asked. I don't know where all this peace and love shit comes from but the god you read about in the bible is basically a paranoid nutcase bent on flattening anyone who gets in his way.

http://www.thebricktestament.com/the_law/homosexuality/lv18_22.html

Leviticus 20:13
    'If a man has sex with a man in same way as with a woman, they have committed an abomination. They are certainly to be put to death.'
  • Options
    Guys, any chance you could take your squabble to your own thread please?
  • Options
    Wow thanks.... :banghead:

Well what do you expect me to do? Call him up now just so some random weirdo on a message board can have their moral dilemmas solved?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No - I have better things to do with my time, thanks.

:lol: like post on here ay......

and klintock, the OT is a bit old school, there are all sorts of theological arguments whether the NT is more appropriate, blah blah etc........personally i think killing gays is a bit OTT and conflicts with other parts of the bible, so i choose not to, i don't think it makes me a bad christian......
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Well what do you expect me to do? Call him up now just so some random weirdo on a message board can have their moral dilemmas solved?

"Random wierdo"?? Oh the pain!

"Solved"? I really don't see you as such an authority that your involvement alone would 'solve' this one for me :D

You could have asked him if the subject arised, but evidently my expectations of you were clearly overestimated.

Sorry to have bothered you.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    :lol: like post on here ay.......

While I'm off sick, recovering from my op, yes.
  • Options
    "Random wierdo"?? Oh the pain!

"Solved"? I really don't see you as such an authority that your involvement alone would 'solve' this one for me :D

You could have asked him if the subject arised, but evidently my expectations of you were clearly overestimated.

Sorry to have bothered you.

Have some fucking backbone and make your own decisions.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Have some fucking backbone and make your own decisions.

I am making my own decisions, thanks.
  • Options
    Have some good stuff from the NT then -

Kicked anyopne out of your house for being an atheist recently?

"Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds" (2 John 1:9-11).

Cut off any limbs that have sinned lately?

"And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched. . . . And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched. . . . And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire" (Mark 9:43-47; see also Matthew 5:29-30; 18:8-9; Luke 20:46-47).

It's all contradictory bullshit - who was jesus's grandad?

Was it - Jacob?

"And JACOB begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus." (Matthew 1:16)

Or was it - Heli?

"And Jesus being the son of Joseph, which was the son of HELI." (Luke 3:23)

And so on......
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Leviticus 20:13
    'If a man has sex with a man in same way as with a woman, they have committed an abomination. They are certainly to be put to death.'

that's all down to translation from hebrew to latin to english and thus is useless
  • Options
    Firstly this is a thread that is a about a specific issue not a thread about the issues around homosexuality and chrisitianity - just start your own thread on that topic if you want.

secondly users do not get to insult each other just because of their beliefs - so stop that please.