Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

One in Three think women are to blame for being raped

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, i always thought the news services provided somethign more then hear'say as we are not in america. and saracasm is kinda pratish behaviour like that, at least i actually watched the news to say what i heard and give an opinion, more then some peopel are doing.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Well, i always thought the news services provided somethign more then hear'say as we are not in america.

No, its hearsay because we only have your word for it.
    subject13 wrote:
    and saracasm is kinda pratish behaviour like that, at least i actually watched the news to say what i heard and give an opinion, more then some peopel are doing.

You say you watched the news and remembered it accurately, but won't look at the actual source of the story on the net. :confused:
  • Options
    Enough, leave it now
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    The amnesty page if people haven't seen it -

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/news/press/16618.shtml

One horrific stat -

'Around one in 12 people (8%) believed that a woman was totally responsible for being raped if she’d had many sexual partners.'

thats disgraceful to hear though :(

who are these weirdos
  • Options
    Well I guess they are 1 out of every juror on a rape case
  • Options
    of the 2% that make it to court, half are thrown out when it is heard the woman lied...
    NOT 2% of ALL RAPES you div! you could have read it clearly. By the way, just coz they get thrown out for been fake doesnt mean they are, im saying this sort of event deters real victims of coming forward.
  • Options
    And I'm saying that the claim that 50% of that 2% are thrown out for those reasons isn't supported by any of the stories I'm reading, it's that stat that I'm challenging; just the assertion about the cases that make it court.
  • Options
    Is that thrown out because the woman lied, or because of a lack of evidence. There's a big difference. I think the main problem is that it's such a hard crime to prove.

I remember reading a thing a while back from America, which was about college students and rape. I'll try and dig it up, but there was basically a huge number of men who, when asked, admitted to a sexual encounter which constituted rape, without even knowing (that it was rape, not that they'd done it). I think that a lot of men think that unless she says no, it doesn't count as rape.

Quick pointer to anyone researching the issue, don't type US college rape into Google. Just did, oops. :)
  • Options
    Know the feeling about google -

on an interesting side note - under the new sexual offences act a woman does not have to say no - it is the responsibility of the both partners to make sure they both actively consent to the act, not to wait for a woman to say no. The difference between this and the public perception is one of the biggest points highlighted in the report.
  • Options
    Basically what these people are saying is that women are being punished for their behaviour?

Why can't a woman show some skin? Why can't a woman flirt?

If a lady says 'no' then a man should respect that she doesn't wanna sleep with him, rather than commit an act of sexual violence.