Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

One in Three think women are to blame for being raped

Story.

Just two thoughts.

1. People say that there's no sexism in this country. How ridiculous.
2. It's no wonder the conviction rate for rapes is so appalling.

This is exactly why there is so much trouble with violence against women in this country. Go out, get drunk and snog someone and that means you deserved to be raped.

The people who thought that should be rounded up and taught a fucking lesson.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :eek:

1/3 of population are stupid *shocker*
  • Options
    so if a woman dresses sexy and gets drunk she's asking for it? :eek2:
    some monsters out there need castrating.....
  • Options
    I think that if a woman puts herself out to be easy and gets a reputation, it's not difficult to see why they might attract dirty old men looking down their tops... Or people just wanting casual sex.

However, there's a difference between coming on to somebody and sexual violence.

I remember in psychology reading statistics of a survey that said 1 in 3 men would rape a woman if they knew they wouldn't get caught. Anybody know where these are?
  • Options
    I heard that story on the news today and my jaw dropped open. I just couldn't beleive that some people in this country are such monsters. I mean i understand that a woman dressed in provocative clothing might attract attention, but it is not an invitation to rape her and it is certainly not her fault. What the hell is this world coming to?
  • Options
  • Options
    By the way, if I'm on my way home from work and I cut through town and end up mugged, is it my fault for cutting through town?
  • Options
    Well clearly only if you'd been drinking, were wearing a short skirt, or didn't tell the mugger no... this whole story turns my stomach
  • Options
    By the way, if I'm on my way home from work and I cut through town and end up mugged, is it my fault for cutting through town?
    Interesting though. If you walk through a rough part of town, alone, at midnight, common sense tells you that you are increased risk of being a victim of crime.
  • Options
    Doesn't make it your fault though.
  • Options
    No, it means you ignored or underestimated the risk of it happening.
  • Options
    I remember in psychology reading statistics of a survey that said 1 in 3 men would rape a woman if they knew they wouldn't get caught. Anybody know where these are?
    sick sick sick :yuck: they need their balls cutting off
    what the hell is the pleasure in doing something so horrible to a woman?
  • Options
    Have you read why the courts are so hostile to rape cases even when they are really after a conviction though? only 15% of rapes are reported to the police and only like 2% of them make it to court and of those 2% half end up been thrown out when it come sout the woman lied about been raped all along. Im not surprised REAL vicitms dont come forward if there are fakers out there making it difficult for all concered to punish real rapists who deserve to go to jail
  • Options
    Blimey, is it a day for people making wild statistical fictions today?
  • Options
    it was on the news today that said only 15% of all rapes in the uk are reported...are BBC, ITV, CH4 and CH5 news all mis-reading amnesty internationals reports wrongly then?
  • Options
    I'm taking issue with your unfounded assumptions and conclusions based on that data, i.e. that there are hoardes of women crying rape which make it difficult to prosecute. You really have nothing to base that on.
  • Options
    But im not making an original statement of my own, im regurgitating the reports i heard on the tv based on amnesty internationals official study. I only have the facts liek that to make an opinion on at present to im going with it until i see more facts of a different nature...
  • Options
    The issue is the claim that 50 percent are untrue cases when they get to court - which given Kermit's assertion (as someone who works in the legal field) that rape has no higher rate of false accusation than any other, means that you need to find some evidence that that many cases that go to court turn out the way you describe. I've certainly not seen any evidence of that from what I've seen from the police, or from any group looking into the issue of rape.

I would think I much bigger factor in the low prosecution and reporting rate is the number of people who in our society seem to believe that whenever someone says they've been raped, they assume they must have made it up.

Which given the trauma surrounding rape, I can fully understand why someone who has been raped wouldn't want to put themselves through.
  • Options
    subject13

No, you're claiming that women faking rape are making it difficult for real cases to be prosecuted. I'm taking issue with that because you really have nothing to base your opnion on.
  • Options
    Pretty fucked up.

I don't usually mind playing devil's advocate, but the idea that wearing a short skirt renders a woman responsible for being raped is utterly ridiculous.

I do wonder, however, if most of the people claiming this to be so are the bitter, vengeful puritans amongst us.
  • Options
    Except the report that said that due to those who fake been raped and take it as far as court, the prosecution service finds it difficult. Defence Barristors just cause real victims to suffer on the stand and the harsh treatment of the courts to victims...Real victims i am talking about is one of the reasons so many rapes not even reported to the police. Im not making an opinion of my own, im agreeing with Amnesty internationals study. Show me some other evidence and i might change my opinion.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Except the report that said that due to those who fake been raped and take it as far as court, the prosecution service finds it difficult.

where does it say that?
  • Options
    The amnesty page if people haven't seen it -

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/news/press/16618.shtml

One horrific stat -

'Around one in 12 people (8%) believed that a woman was totally responsible for being raped if she’d had many sexual partners.'
  • Options
    I dont know where it says it in the article, i heard it on the news on TV, i havnt read the report myself. But it is interesting you are not giving any counter argument at all or any evidence at all for anything, your just saying im wrong all the time instead.

It is a shocking report and completely unfair on rape victims. But who exactly did they question and how many people? it is only a poll isnt it?
  • Options
    The full report

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/images/ul/s/sexual_assault_summary_report_2.doc

which I've just read, and there is nothing in that report at all about the effect of women who make up false claims.

there is also no reference to it in the bbc online report, or an of the others I'm reading. The whole report is about the public blaming rape victims for what has happened to them, perhaps you've misheard it in what you've heard?
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    I dont know where it says it in the article, i heard it on the news on TV, i havnt read the report myself. But it is interesting you are not giving any counter argument at all or any evidence at all for anything, your just saying im wrong all the time instead.

So you're regurgitating as fact something that you "heard on TV" but can't actually back up? Even when there are links on this thread to the BBC news report and the Amnesty report?
    subject13 wrote:
    It is a shocking report and completely unfair on rape victims. But who exactly did they question and how many people? it is only a poll isnt it?

Why don't you have a look at the Amnesty site?
  • Options
    It's a poll of a 1000 people and it's based upon the principal that these are the people who will be on a jury.

By the way -

'in reality the percentage rate of false accusations of rape made by women is approximately 2% which is the same as regards all other complainants alleging a crime(s) has been committed against them? In other words, few allegations of rape are lies.'

http://www.truthaboutrape.co.uk/44670.html?*session*id*key*=*session*id*val*

So not 50% but 2% of all the cases.
  • Options
    Who said 50% of all rape allegations were lies??? i didnt at all.
    If i wanted to read the reports myself why would i bother to watch the news?
    Look there was this woman in the studio, she was old with white hair, she commented on the high profile footballers roasting cases and Snooker player Quentin Hann as examples of WHY women are reluctant to come forward and make a report even when the rape is GENUINE and why the prosection service are so hostile. That was my point in my first post before you went mental about it Blag
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    only 15% of rapes are reported to the police and only like 2% of them make it to court and of those 2% half end up been thrown out when it come sout the woman lied about been raped all along

I'm pretty certain that says half of all cases that go to court are thrown out because the woman lied
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Who said 50% of all rape allegations were lies??? i didnt at all.
    If i wanted to read the reports myself why would i bother to watch the news?
    Look there was this woman in the studio, she was old with white hair, she commented on the high profile footballers roasting cases and Snooker player Quentin Hann as examples of WHY women are reluctant to come forward and make a report even when the rape is GENUINE and why the prosection service are so hostile. That was my point in my first post before you went mental about it Blag

So you're basing your opinion on unverifiable hearsay? Wow.
  • Options
    I'd suggest that what was on the news was someone pointing out that the press fixation upon all 'cry wolf' cases puts women off reporting rape, not that so many women actually falesly report rape.

To be honest coming after Born Slippy's comment has probably wound everyone up.